Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Rodgers back to Celtic

It's a sensible move from Rodgers to be honest, he's not getting a traditional big six job in England and this is the next best job for him if he is not interested in going abroad.

Strange one from his perspective, if this happens. A penny for @Muzzy_Larsson's thoughts?

Surely anything less than a strong performance in Europe will be deemed a relative failure?

And Rodgers' record in Europe hasn't been impressive at Liverpool, Celtic or Leicester....

Otherwise, I suppose success will get disgruntled Celtic fans off his back after a while, then a couple of Scottish Premiership titles and memories of his failures fade, big PL clubs focus more on his successes (titles at Celtic, near miss at Liverpool, FAC & 5th places at Leicester)....I presume that's his thinking? :dunno:

4 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

He needs to run back to the same place to hide and rebuild his reputation like  last time no Premiership club in their right mind would touch him with a barge pole. 

Media pundits may still believe the myth but perhaps some chairman are a bit more savvy as it's their money that would be being blown. Do chairman talk to each other?

From a Celtic point of view, wasn't his tenure naturally coming to an end before he jumped ship to us? Yes, he would have won the accolades there that season but weren't things starting to unravel a bit behind the scenes, particularly as there was a viable opposition back on the horizon.

Wouldn't Celtic supporters not just be counting the days until the next monied opportunity popped up for him?

How much can he really rebuild it? I think you can maybe do this once but running back there just looks cowardly to me. I'd have rated him more if he'd gone and managed in La Liga or Serie A like he supposedly wanted to.

• Like 1

Surprised with their forum. Some okay with it, some not. But we all know he will win trophies there so why wouldn't he or the club do it. Celtic will dominate Scotland under him but do fvck all in Europe.

18 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I dunno I think he's got some bollocks on him considering the Celtic ultras want him lynched. 

Nothing will happen to him. The man is untouchable.

There's so little to gain from this. He's already done everything in that job he could possibly have done while burning some bridges in the process. Maybe I'm being naive (as he is very good at picking these moves generally) but I don't see this really elevating him. Maybe it will just help people forget what happened here in the latter years.

This is of course assuming he wins with them.

I thought he'd end up going abroad.

It's quite a drastic fall from being tipped to manage Man United, Chelsea and even replacing Guardiola at Man City (yes, really). A supposedly 'elite' manager doesn't go back to managing Celtic. It just goes to show that the people in the game whose opinions actually matter feel very much differently to client journalists and lazy media pundits. 

I have no doubt if he does go back it will be under the guise of ‘unfinished business’ and he is truly sorry for how he left, he saw it as an opportunity to undertake a different challenge with a different type of club. He loves Celtic and being away has made him realise what a truly massive club it is and too back working at a truly elite club with a global brand and worldwide fanbase was just too good of an opportunity to turn down. I know with the brand of football and the exciting squad we have we will win over the doubters …….blah blah blah 

Edited by Claudio Fannieri
  • Like 1

The funny thing is, had he left in the summer of 2022 when things weren't going his way his stock would probably have been higher and he may have landed himself a bigger job now such as the Spurs job or possibly the Chelsea job when that was available in October. He would have left after two fifth place finishes, an FA Cup and an 8th place finish. Despite that 8th place no reflecting how bad most of that season was, that record looks good on paper and he could have set the 'ambition' narrative in leaving. Him waiting for his pay out and dragging us closer and closer to the championship may have been financially beneficial in the short-term, but it seems to have damaged his reputation. 

• Like 3

Just now, BenTheFox said:

The funny thing is, had he left in the summer of 2022 when things weren't going his way his stock would probably have been higher and he may have landed himself a bigger job now such as the Spurs job or possibly the Chelsea job when that was available in October. He would have left after two fifth place finishes, an FA Cup and an 8th place finish. Despite that 8th place no reflecting how bad most of that season was, that record looks good on paper and he could have set the 'ambition' narrative in leaving. Him waiting for his pay out and dragging us closer and closer to the championship may have been financially beneficial in the short-term, but it seems to have damaged his reputation. 

And not only would his stock have been higher, I dare to say that we would look back on his time much more fondly.