Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Rodgers back to Celtic

3 hours ago, indierich06 said:

Yeah but he's on the back of a relegation now, so he's probably got to rebuild his image. Easy money for him.

And if he gets another mid table premier league job and gets them relegated, can he go back there again to win another treble and trick a ****wit club owner into hiring him again? How many times does the Celtic image building treble winning tactic work?

11 minutes ago, TJQuik said:

And if he gets another mid table premier league job and gets them relegated, can he go back there again to win another treble and trick a ****wit club owner into hiring him again? How many times does the Celtic image building treble winning tactic work?

I'm guessing he can repeat it ad infinitum.

• Haha 1

I can already picture the first press conference quotes

"Leicester fans were desparate for me to stay, they'd walk up to me in the street telling me what a good job I'd done last season and believed I would've kept them up"

"I had offers from Real Madrid, Tottenham and Chelsea to be their next manager but the Celtic job was the only one I was ever interested in"

"When I was on the plane to Glasgow, a flight attendant came up to me and mentioned her partner is a Celtic fan who was thrilled at the news I was coming back as I'm his favourite ever manager - he even has a "Rodgers 1" shirt he wears to every game"

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Strange one from his perspective, if this happens. A penny for @Muzzy_Larsson's thoughts?

Surely anything less than a strong performance in Europe will be deemed a relative failure?

And Rodgers' record in Europe hasn't been impressive at Liverpool, Celtic or Leicester....

Otherwise, I suppose success will get disgruntled Celtic fans off his back after a while, then a couple of Scottish Premiership titles and memories of his failures fade, big PL clubs focus more on his successes (titles at Celtic, near miss at Liverpool, FAC & 5th places at Leicester)....I presume that's his thinking? :dunno:

Like I've said on other threads don't want him back.

The personal aspect of it aside I don't see any of the shortcomings he has as a manager disappearing since he left us. 

His recruitment is still a shambles and he's still so one dimensional he'll get us pasted in Europe.

Hypothetically, it's a bit different up here, if he were to come back and deliver 3 titles in a row but flounder in europe most people would still view his time as a success, rightly or wrongly, it's just the way the dynamic works in Glasgow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

He needs to run back to the same place to hide and rebuild his reputation like  last time no Premiership club in their right mind would touch him with a barge pole. 

Media pundits may still believe the myth but perhaps some chairman are a bit more savvy as it's their money that would be being blown. Do chairman talk to each other?

From a Celtic point of view, wasn't his tenure naturally coming to an end before he jumped ship to us? Yes, he would have won the accolades there that season but weren't things starting to unravel a bit behind the scenes, particularly as there was a viable opposition back on the horizon.

Wouldn't Celtic supporters not just be counting the days until the next monied opportunity popped up for him?

Yeah it was well understood by all parties that season would have been his last. Obviously it happened a bit sooner in the end-up.

On the second point yeah that's true but tbh that's not the reason Celtic fans would oppose his return. In reality we are a shop window for England, managers are no different from players in that they'll always have an eye on leaving for the premier league and that's pretty well understood and accepted. Anyone that's successful will be gone from Scotland in 2-3 years for a whole host of reasons.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

I don’t get it. What’s he going to do there that he hasn’t already done?

It won't be about that, it'll be about his ego, the biggest challenge in his mind will be to go back and try and change everyone's mind and convince everyone he's the messiah again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Yeah it was well understood by all parties that season would have been his last. Obviously it happened a bit sooner in the end-up.

On the second point yeah that's true but tbh that's not the reason Celtic fans would oppose his return. In reality we are a shop window for England, managers are no different from players in that they'll always have an eye on leaving for the premier league and that's pretty well understood and accepted. Anyone that's successful will be gone from Scotland in 2-3 years for a whole host of reasons.

Whilst the last point is sad but you can understand why, I just wonder whether Celtic supporters could put up with essentially being used for for a second time?

I suppose I have an illogical soft spot for Celtic because of O'Neil and Lennon. I also have a vivid memory of Micky Galloway smirking after he'd wound Duncan Ferguson up a treat and subsequently got him sent off 🤣. A career sadly cut short by injury. 

Compared to O'Neil and Lennon, I just find Rodgers so disingenuous and wouldn't wish him on Celtic again because I really don't think he's any good in the long term and if let loose, could ruin them like us.

To just tell a non related Celtic supporter mentality (good). Many years ago I went on a Christmas work trip to Dublin. The taxi driver from the airport wore a Celtic shirt and had a nodding Henrik Larsson on his dashboard. I commented that Celtic had stolen our manager! He laughed and said 'you'll be from Leicester then, you're very welcome'! He said 'you didn't have a great result at the weekend ' and went on to name our team and the rest of our squad and some under 23s! I asked whether he ever got to see Celtic? He laughed and said he was a season ticket holder and followed them all over Europe!

I went to a few Dublin pubs over the weekend, the locals were brilliant. However, remembering the taxi driver, if I mentioned O'Neil, Leicester and Celtic in the same sentence, they all seemed to want to buy me a drink, happy days! There was no anti English feeling anywhere I went, Leicester City seemed to be quite an ice breaker! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

Whilst the last point is sad but you can understand why, I just wonder whether Celtic supporters could put up with essentially being used for for a second time?

I suppose I have an illogical soft spot for Celtic because of O'Neil and Lennon. I also have a vivid memory of Micky Galloway smirking after he'd wound Duncan Ferguson up a treat and subsequently got him sent off 🤣. A career sadly cut short by injury. 

Compared to O'Neil and Lennon, I just find Rodgers so disingenuous and wouldn't wish him on Celtic again because I really don't think he's any good in the long term and if let loose, could ruin them like us.

To just tell a non related Celtic supporter mentality (good). Many years ago I went on a Christmas work trip to Dublin. The taxi driver from the airport wore a Celtic shirt and had a nodding Henrik Larsson on his dashboard. I commented that Celtic had stolen our manager! He laughed and said 'you'll be from Leicester then, you're very welcome'! He said 'you didn't have a great result at the weekend ' and went on to name our team and the rest of our squad and some under 23s! I asked whether he ever got to see Celtic? He laughed and said he was a season ticket holder and followed them all over Europe!

I went to a few Dublin pubs over the weekend, the locals were brilliant. However, remembering the taxi driver, if I mentioned O'Neil, Leicester and Celtic in the same sentence, they all seemed to want to buy me a drink, happy days! There was no anti English feeling anywhere I went, Leicester City seemed to be quite an ice breaker! 

Southern Ireland is awash with people born and raised in England 😂😂 english people get really well treated all over Southern Ireland 

• Like 1

Never going to happen. Absolutely zero reason to go back and has nothing left to prove there given the financial resources of the club. Even then. Getting players good enough to challenge and compete in the Champions League will never go there. Celtic isn't even close to the level of this club. Out of all the players linked none came. 

1 hour ago, LinekersLugs said:

Southern Ireland is awash with people born and raised in England 😂😂 english people get really well treated all over Southern Ireland 

Yes, it was my first visit and I found it a great place though I only went to Dublin. I know people that have toured on motorbikes and people that have gone fishing and found the locals very hospitable and lovely. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, so1 said:

Never going to happen. Absolutely zero reason to go back and has nothing left to prove there given the financial resources of the club. Even then. Getting players good enough to challenge and compete in the Champions League will never go there. Celtic isn't even close to the level of this club. Out of all the players linked none came. 

I don't think anyone who is anywhere close to sane would believe Celtic are a more attractive proposition to most sides in premier league in England given the economic disparity. Not sure what point you are trying to make here tbh.

If Rodgers were to come back to Celtic, which I for one definitely do not want to happen it wouldn't be to compete in the Champions League, we simply don't have the resources to do that meaningfully. His reasons for coming back would be to massage and inflate his own ego and try and make everyone love him again.

I know your a Rodgers fan boy but I know people who have worked for him directly and who have a really good idea of how his mind works, based on real-life events and conversations so I feel pretty well qualified to make the claim above.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sylofox said:

Leeds fans seem pissed off he's refused them.

Lucky escape me thinks 😂😂😂😂😂😂😄😄😄😄😂😂😂

They're just pissed because they've realised they're no longer more 'massive' than celtic.