Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LestaLad

Zack Steffen

Here’s a novel thought, Steffen comes in for this season as starting keeper which enables Maresca to implement the style he wants us to play and more importantly gives the team the best opportunity to execute that style, then if/when we get promoted we then look to buy a new no 1 and Steffen becomes the back up. Not every signing we make will be with a view to being a starter should we go back up. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

Don't think Iversen is a big enough problem for us to waste finances on this. Even if he isn't ideal for Enzo. 

Get promoted, yes definitely, but then I'd hope we can't attract someone better than Steffen. 

Iversen is a good keeper.  He is a weak link in a possession based team.  If Maresca decides to go long ball with a target man, iversen should be first choice.   However...

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Two gripes. One, I'm not sure he's fit for the start of the season and two, the rumoured fee is £6-8m which I think is far too much for a distinctly average goalkeeper. 

We seldom get a bargain nor do we sell unwanted players very easily either.

I'm concerned about this one. 

Completely understand that argument, he wouldn’t be my 1st choice but if the Manager believes he is essential to how he wants us to play and he will have 1st hand knowledge and experience of both his strengths and weaknesses then whilst there appear to be better alternatives out there, we are just going to have to hope he comes in and pleasantly surprises the supporters who are far from convinced by this signing. 

21 hours ago, Sambiasso said:

Intrigued to know what other peoples suggestions would be for a potential keeper? 

Muric is available it would seem. Tenas, though that is probably not realistic. Looks like Begovic will go to Luton sadly. 

If we can get Steffen on loan with an option I wouldn’t be against it. 

12 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

For those demanding that we chuck £10mill at Steffan because Iverson is ‘not good enough’, how would you view this if that money wasted on Steffan means we leave ourselves light in the attacking midfield area?

If a ball playing GK is a requirement for Maresca's system, then Iversen is a non-starter, and any money spent on a ball playing GK would not be 'wasted'.

I'm sure the club aren't buying Steffen and then going 'oh shit, we actually need an attacking midfielder as well, why didn't we think of that?'

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

For those demanding that we chuck £10mill at Steffan because Iverson is ‘not good enough’, how would you view this if that money wasted on Steffan means we leave ourselves light in the attacking midfield area?

I'd imagine the club has decided on a budget to cover all positions we require. They will have an upper limit to spend on a keeper.  

On 06/07/2023 at 13:23, moore_94 said:

This is the part that puts me off him

Would be fine for his ball playing ability but his ability actual in goal is disappointing

IMG_5905.jpeg

This is where I look and think there is surely better out there on the continent. I'm not surprised by this signing, and I think I'd just about be on board if it wasn't for the injury problem as well but it's all a bit too much like Ward a year ago for me, and the irony is I think it'll mean we end up starting the season with him.

Somebody on here (think @kingfox) posted this bloke in another thread. https://fbref.com/en/players/40406a00/Andrew

image.png.dd1de9ff852d1c0f33d49ab5d9eb137c.png

22 years old, playing for Gil Vicente so attainable for probably a couple of million, profiles far better than Steffen does. Only catch is you know one of the big clubs over there will already have their claws into him but this is just one example. Not convinced by Steffen.

28 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

This is where I look and think there is surely better out there on the continent. I'm not surprised by this signing, and I think I'd just about be on board if it wasn't for the injury problem as well but it's all a bit too much like Ward a year ago for me, and the irony is I think it'll mean we end up starting the season with him.

Somebody on here (think @kingfox) posted this bloke in another thread. https://fbref.com/en/players/40406a00/Andrew

image.png.dd1de9ff852d1c0f33d49ab5d9eb137c.png

22 years old, playing for Gil Vicente so attainable for probably a couple of million, profiles far better than Steffen does. Only catch is you know one of the big clubs over there will already have their claws into him but this is just one example. Not convinced by Steffen.

That was Moore’s excellent recommendation. 

But as I said myself on here yesterday, as much as some would like a more inexperienced keeper from abroad, there’s some real potential in Scandinavia for instance, but with what Sambiasso previously said the other week regarding more experience, as you’ve said yourself, it’s no surprise that we look to be signing him, but I can see why some people would be turned off, because his prevented goals statistic is shite.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, majaco said:

Iversen is a good keeper.  He is a weak link in a possession based team.  If Maresca decides to go long ball with a target man, iversen should be first choice.   However...

Iversen as a target man?

Not sure that's Enzoball

9 hours ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

Here’s a novel thought, Steffen comes in for this season as starting keeper which enables Maresca to implement the style he wants us to play and more importantly gives the team the best opportunity to execute that style, then if/when we get promoted we then look to buy a new no 1 and Steffen becomes the back up. Not every signing we make will be with a view to being a starter should we go back up. 

Depends how much you're paying. With Rudkin tax it'll go and be £8mil despite this exact scenario being the plan.

Carrick was very quick to move on from this. Which could be down to 2 things... Seffen has already said hes coming here... or they were never interested in getting him back. 

Just feels like bad business ... not just bad, but lazy.  As I think everyone is in agreement that there are better keepers for less money. 

10 hours ago, majaco said:

I hadn’t that his kicking up field was that accurate. He’s a good shot stopper and that’s it imo.

Shall we not write him off until we have seen him play a few games at least. 

Remember the 2 clowns we had to watch last year. Neither gave the defence any confidence whatsoever. One couldn’t save shots, the other couldn’t kick. Neither communicated to the defence. 

It’s not like this guy is replacing Kasper in the Premier League 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, indierich06 said:

If a ball playing GK is a requirement for Maresca's system, then Iversen is a non-starter, and any money spent on a ball playing GK would not be 'wasted'.

I'm sure the club aren't buying Steffen and then going 'oh shit, we actually need an attacking midfielder as well, why didn't we think of that?'

I’m not against a new keeper, I’m saying £10mill on Steffan would be a waste!

I also think a manager worth his salt would be able to adapt and not have every player replaced to suit his style in one go. 

• Like 1

On 07/07/2023 at 09:15, Ric Flair said:

Two gripes. One, I'm not sure he's fit for the start of the season and two, the rumoured fee is £6-8m which I think is far too much for a distinctly average goalkeeper. 

We seldom get a bargain nor do we sell unwanted players very easily either.

I'm concerned about this one. 

Just remember we paid £12.5 million for Ward and he’s well below average