Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LestaLad

Zack Steffen

59 minutes ago, Mike1983 said:

This is a likely scenario:

- We sign Steffen

- Iversen leaves before the window closes

- Ward starts until Steffen recovers

Get rid of Ward and keep iversen would be my preference 

1 hour ago, Sambiasso said:

Intrigued to know what other peoples suggestions would be for a potential keeper? 

There aren’t any if you’re after a ball playing goalkeeper with Championship experience. 

Maybe Jean Butez of Antwerp who Burnley were interested in before getting Trafford? But he’s not got experience of our league and is 28.

I think it’s a very logical signing and think it’s decent business. 

Edited by StriderHiryu

16 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

This is the part that puts me off him

Would be fine for his ball playing ability but his ability actual in goal is disappointing

IMG_5905.jpeg

The thing is he doesn’t need to do more than that. It’s just that Ward was so bad that literally anyone else looks a better stopper. 

This signing won’t be one that is worth 3-4x what we paid for him in two years time. But if he does what he did for Boro for us, he will massively improve the team. I would put him in the same bracket as Coady and Winks. Not exciting signings but safe ones.

I think fans want to see an exciting signing. The next Fofana / Soyuncu type that comes out of nowhere and is a wonder kid. I’m sure we will bring in one or two like that. If Trafford was taken, this is the best option I think. 

13 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Get a competent defence in front of him and hopefully he won't have to save too many shots... 

Yes you'd expect that in the Championship, but what happens when we get back to the PL? We're essentially saying we need a herculean defence to protect a very average shot stopper.

I know they're gold dust but Why can't we stop at nothing, looking for a strong shot stopper and good with the ball?

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yes you'd expect that in the Championship, but what happens when we get back to the PL? We're essentially saying we need a herculean defence to protect a very average shot stopper.

I know they're gold dust but Why can't we stop at nothing, looking for a strong shot stopper and good with the ball?

Who would that be though?

If we were still in the Premier League, I bet we would have signed either Alban LaFont or Odysseas Vlachodimos. But we aren't, so we can't.

22 minutes ago, MPH said:

Get rid of Ward and keep iversen would be my preference 

There were a few rumours circulating that the club was looking to offload him, but the rumours were so ambiguous that there weren't even any particular clubs he was linked to. He's currently on what, £15-20k a week? I don't see him getting offered more than 10-20% of that, and no way he'd ever accept.

As far as Iversen is concerned I can imagine he'd be looking to make a move if he's told he's back to being a back up keeper.

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Maybe the plan would be to look for a new GK if we go back up and demote Steffen, ie. Lafont, or Sanchez etc. A bit like Burnley have done.

But I understand the point, why waste £8m or whatever now if we’d have to sign a replacement next year anyway…

Unless they think it’s worth it if it helps us get up, with a keeper playing how Enzo wants us to

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Andrew da Silva Ventura at Gil Vicente in Portugal :thumbup:

IMG_5906.jpeg

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Foxes96 said:

Maybe the plan would be to look for a new GK if we go back up and demote Steffen, ie. Lafont, or Sanchez etc. A bit like Burnley have done.

But I understand the point, why waste £8m or whatever now if we’d have to sign a replacement next year anyway…

Unless they think it’s worth it if it helps us get up, with a keeper playing how Enzo wants us to

Yeah I think it could be as big a waste of money as Danny Ward has been. 

There's a trade off here, shot stopping prevents goals and good distribution aids the whole ethos of the entire way the team builds attacks to ultimately score goals. My opinion is, we have to ensure the keeper is competent at the bread and butter, we can protect them with an excellent defence and team unit to defending but that comes under pressure rhe moment the step up in division.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Who would that be though?

If we were still in the Premier League, I bet we would have signed either Alban LaFont or Odysseas Vlachodimos. But we aren't, so we can't.

Arnau Tenas

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Steffen League games played 42:  Goals conceded 50 @  1.19 goals per game, 9 clean sheets @ an average of 1 every 4.7 games.

Iversen (In the championship) games played 69: Goals conceded 81 @  1.17 goals per game, 22 clean sheets @ an average of 1 every 3.14 games.

Very similar, on goals conceded per game in the championship, Iversen averages more clean sheets.

If the gaffer wants a ball playing GK, you have to get him one. 

I think that's what it all boils down to. Steffen, for all his faults, is somewhat competent with the ball at his feet, and Iversen is not. Maresca is obviously familiar with him during their time together at City,  so I guess we will just have to trust him.

If we could get a "deal" on Steffen, i think there could be some value there. At one time, when Steffen was healthy and playing well he was thought to be the first choice keeper for the USMNT. But my how his stock has fallen. Injuries, a few howlers, a general lack of playing time, etc. Now he's not even in the national team radar, behind Matt Turner, Sean Johnson, Gaga Slonina, Ethan Horvath, etc.

So he's a reclamation project. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Arnau Tenas

• 22 years old
  • Doesn't speak English
  • 1 Senior Team appearance
  • Plays for Barcelona B who play in the third tier of Spanish football

Super unrealistic expectation to sign someone like that for the first team.

Realistic signings I could think of would be Christian Walton of Ipswich, who build out from the back, or Andy Fisher of Swansea. Of foreign signings, Butez plays in Bwlgium so knows the language so that's possible. Maybe Burnley's keeper Muric if they have signed Trafford to replace him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

This is the part that puts me off him

Would be fine for his ball playing ability but his ability actual in goal is disappointing

IMG_5905.jpeg

That save percentage is notably better than both Iversen and Ward, and he is considerably better with his feet than both. He’d be an upgrade. My main concern is the injury. I hope Stolarcyk gets a chance to start the season, and is able to earn himself a good loan off the back of it, with Steffen then coming in for him. 

35 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Because they cost more then we can currently spend on a GK? 

We are going to have to bring in another 5 or 6 players at least 

2 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Surely there’s a GK in Spain or France that would be fairly cheap and have decent all round numbers? 

Tenas, who looks to be leaving Barca on a free. Looks great. Not sure if he’d come here mind. Can watch him on Saturday in goal for Spain U21s vs England U21s in the final of the Euros. We could offer him 1st team starts but expect he will get better offers.

Edited by FoxesWalk
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:
  • 22 years old
  • Doesn't speak English
  • 1 Senior Team appearance
  • Plays for Barcelona B who play in the third tier of Spanish football

Super unrealistic expectation to sign someone like that for the first team.

Realistic signings I could think of would be Christian Walton of Ipswich, who build out from the back, or Andy Fisher of Swansea. Of foreign signings, Butez plays in Bwlgium so knows the language so that's possible. Maybe Burnley's keeper Muric if they have signed Trafford to replace him.

He's been immense for Spain U21s. I get there's a lot of inexperience there but our defence and midfield is going to contain a large amount of experience this season. Music barely had any experience last season either for a team who we are expecting to emulate.

• Like 1

We're likely to dominate the vast majority of matches next season, so a keeper who can contribute with the ball is going to be more important than an amazing shotstopper who may only have to make 2 or 3 saves in a match.

• Like 1

the only way to get the keeper people are describing is to pluck one from someone’s academy and roll the dice they are ready! 

Anyone who’s proved to be a good shot stopper and good with their feet in a decent league will be in huge demand and hard for us to get right now.

Tbqh we should just loan a keeper for now and reassess if we get promoted. Because as others have said, we might get away with a ball playing keeper with average actual keeping ability in this league but the prem would be a mess.