Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LestaLad

Zack Steffen

29 minutes ago, Ed 1 said:

Anyone know Middlesbrough fans opinion of this guy? 

I had a look at their forum and they don’t rave about him but the general consensus is that they wrote him off and he earned back the trust and did a pretty good job in the end. There were a few comments suggesting that they rated him despite the occasional howler.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

More likely to be iverson - can’t see that anyone would buy ward

Depends if he’s happy to be a number two/three in the PL or if he wants to run down his contract here.

I honestly can’t see him playing for us again, especially if a new keeper comes in.

7 minutes ago, LestaLad said:

Just doesn’t excite me one bit this deal. He looks shite.

Highlight reels are meant to make players look good. He pushes most of the shots back into dangerous positions, expect to concede a few tap ins. 

20 minutes ago, BillyFOX12 said:

Surely there’s got to be better options out there?

If you look abroad there probably is, but I’m not surprised the club are not looking overseas for a goalkeeper while we’re in the Championship.

Steffen suits the way Maresca will want to play, the only thing that doesn’t fill me with confidence, is the fact that some of his statistics from his Boro loan spell were poor. 

2 minutes ago, DezFox said:

I had a look at their forum and they don’t rave about him but the general consensus is that they wrote him off and he earned back the trust and did a pretty good job in the end. There were a few comments suggesting that they rated him despite the occasional howler.  

The last sentence is perfect descriptive of the average opinion on there. 

He seems to be an ok keeper very good with the ball at his feet. I feel slightly uncomfortable with that but we're not used to that but one thing for sure is I'd feel less comfortable with Ward in goal. 

Besides he'll be injured for while 

Been feeling really optimistic for the new season since the new managerial appointments but honestly, I know I'll have a problem maintaining that optimism if we kick off against Coventry with Danny Ward in goal.

I'm sorry, thats just the way it is

4 minutes ago, Mike1983 said:

This is a likely scenario:

- We sign Steffen

- Iversen leaves before the window closes

- Ward starts until Steffen recovers

Hopefully Stolarczyk impresses enough to get ahead of Ward

Rather give him a go for a bit than have to deal with watching Ward again

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mike1983 said:

- We sign Steffen

If Enzo wants to have us playing out from the back he will not be playing Iversen or Ward. Both are poor with their feet.

Steffen League games played 42:  Goals conceded 50 @  1.19 goals per game, 9 clean sheets @ an average of 1 every 4.7 games.

Iversen (In the championship) games played 69: Goals conceded 81 @  1.17 goals per game, 22 clean sheets @ an average of 1 every 3.14 games.

Very similar, on goals conceded per game in the championship, Iversen averages more clean sheets.

If the gaffer wants a ball playing GK, you have to get him one. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Mike1983 said:

- We sign Steffen

I still think it'll be Stolarczyk if Iversen goes. Get Stolarczyk a few early games then he's the second-choice/cup keeper when Steffen is fit but may be able to put a bit of pressure on if he has a decent time of it.

1 hour ago, Ed 1 said:

Anyone know Middlesbrough fans opinion of this guy? 

From the Boro forum:

I'd love to keep Steffen but the money would be obscene compared to Darlow so not worth it.

I thought Steffen really improved on crosses/corners as the season went on tbf

Swings and roundabouts he maybe won’t start as many attacks off with his passing but from the sound of it will make more big saves the Steffen made so maybe gets us points that way

The starting XI is absolutely not basically the same as last year. Make no mistake at this point we're significantly weaker. Steffen was an important cog in our approach to games as was Giles. Archer created room for Akpom with his threat of running in behind again another fundamental player. There's a lot of time to go in this window but don't kid yourself we're not starting from where we left off.

Steffen didn’t have the best season with Düsseldorf and still did good for us. If they think Dieng is good enough to be first choice GK then let’s give him a chance before proclaiming he’s not good enough.

To add to my above post, and kind of summarise my thoughts a bit better, when people say he was ‘integral to the way we play’, although he kind of was, I’d argue it’s more the style of play when passing out the back that’s brought us success rather then Steffen as an individual.

If we sign Darlow I wonder if that means we're going to stop playing out from the back as much? 

Edit - Just seen on Twitter his and Steffen's respective heatmaps. Both spend a fair bit of time outside their area playing short passes, in fact on average Darlow plays nearly 10 times more short passes per game.

It’s actually crazy how many world class, match winning saves Randolph was making for us when he was here. He was literally making one or two a game without fail, one’s where you go ‘wow’. Poor distribution but in terms of actual goalkeeping ability he’s the best we’ve had since I’ve been going (didn’t go regularly when Schwarzer was playing). 

Tend to agree that Steffen is/was pretty average in terms of shot stopping. Generally made the saves you’d expect him to make.

Seems generally positive, important for their style of play they tried to play. Which is the reason why we are signing him. I point people in the direction of Robert Sanchez and David Raya. Not world class keepers, but they dramatically improve the teams they play for.

• Like 4

If he's good enough for Enzo, that's more than enough for me. He'll know what he's getting better than any stat or YouTube video so I'll trust the man and the process. Clearly has attributes that will complement the style of play we'll be looking to implement. He can't be that bad considering he made 45 appearances in all comps for Middlesbrough last season and was playing with an injury. He might not be the solution for the PL but considering we'll be looking to pin back most teams into their own half next season and dominate possession high up the pitch he probably won't be tested too much and his ability to start attacks with his foot work will be invaluable to us in this league. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Tend to agree that Steffen is/was pretty average in terms of shot stopping. Generally made the saves you’d expect him to make.

This is the part that puts me off him

Would be fine for his ball playing ability but his ability actual in goal is disappointing

IMG_5905.jpeg

Edited by moore_94