Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LestaLad

Zack Steffen

I think we all got our hopes up regarding the link with James Trafford, that going back to Steffen feels like a downgrade.

As much as fans want a sexy signing from abroad, Andrew da Silva & Tenas are fair enough shouts, I certainly wouldn’t mind us looking at a few Scandinavian goalkeeping talents that tick the boxes, but the initial rumour from Sambiasso was that we wanted more experience.

Steffen in a way ticks that box, plus he has experience of playing in the Championship and Maresca will be familiar with him.

Only keepers that were similar to him in last season’s Championship were a few Strider mentioned, Muric & Fisher along with Pears of Blackburn.

1 hour ago, FoxyPalace.com said:

My working friend (Plymouth Fan) raves about his keeper Micheal Cooper says he’s going to be top class. 

They look to be signing a keeper from Celtic so he may be on the move somewhere….

I'd of liked us to go for West Broms keeper Alex Palmer.  Seen him play a few times and he's quality.  Was out on loan at Plymouth and Lincoln in recent seasons and was player of the season both times.  Broke in to West Broms first team last season as well.  

12 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Steffen League games played 42:  Goals conceded 50 @  1.19 goals per game, 9 clean sheets @ an average of 1 every 4.7 games.

Iversen (In the championship) games played 69: Goals conceded 81 @  1.17 goals per game, 22 clean sheets @ an average of 1 every 3.14 games.

Very similar, on goals conceded per game in the championship, Iversen averages more clean sheets.

If the gaffer wants a ball playing GK, you have to get him one. 

Stats like this reflect badly on a keeper though because you can have an amazing defence in front of you or a shite one which makes a huge difference. 

12 hours ago, Sambiasso said:

Intrigued to know what other peoples suggestions would be for a potential keeper? 

My personal choice would have been to go for Bartlomiej Dragowski. Plays for Spezia who have just been relegated and now play in Serie B. Dominant goalkeeper, very good with the ball at his feet, very affordable wages and is only 25 years old.

I honestly liked the thought of Begovic as well. Should it not have been him Muric was intriguing considering I personally think he performed better last year than Steffen and has just experienced promotion. 

Viktor Johansson our ex academy keeper looked class last year and made team of the year in a poor Rotherham side also.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

My personal choice would have been to go for Bartlomiej Dragowski. Plays for Spezia who have just been relegated and now play in Serie B. Dominant goalkeeper, very good with the ball at his feet, very affordable wages and is only 25 years old.

I honestly liked the thought of Begovic as well. Should it not have been him Muric was intriguing considering I personally think he performed better last year than Steffen and has just experienced promotion. 

Viktor Johansson our ex academy keeper looked class last year and made team of the year in a poor Rotherham side also.

We were strongly linked with Dragowski a while back weren’t we? 

Edited by dbtcity
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Stats like this reflect badly on a keeper though because you can have an amazing defence in front of you or a shite one which makes a huge difference. 

Of course, it just a rough guide.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Don't think Iversen is a big enough problem for us to waste finances on this. Even if he isn't ideal for Enzo. 

Get promoted, yes definitely, but then I'd hope we can't attract someone better than Steffen. 

You don’t think there’s a major problem with his distribution?

45 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Don't think Iversen is a big enough problem for us to waste finances on this. Even if he isn't ideal for Enzo. 

Get promoted, yes definitely, but then I'd hope we can't attract someone better than Steffen. 

I suspect a ball-playing goalkeeper is a must-have for Maresca, not a nice-to-have. And the club won’t refuse if that‘S what he wants.

3 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Maybe but I think it's a problem we can live with in the championship. 

But if we want to get automatic promotion, I don't think so, I like Iversen he's got potential but he's not first choice yet neither him or Ward are. We need a better keeper.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Maybe but I think it's a problem we can live with in the championship. 

Ordinarily it probably wouldn’t be, but when you may well end up with 3 CBs that are all good on the ball and have decent passing then it negates one of the stronger parts of their game. You need a keeper who can bring those CBs into the progressive passing plays under pressure not shank it out of play or put them in difficulties through wayward passing. For all his strengths, Kasper was often really poor with mid-range passes, as is Iversen. I’d actually stick with him and see whether Maresca can mould him but I can see why Maresca may want an oven-ready option. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

Ordinarily it probably wouldn’t be, but when you may well end up with 3 CBs that are all good on the ball and have decent passing then it negates one of the stronger parts of their game. You need a keeper who can bring those CBs into the progressive passing plays under pressure not shank it out of play or put them in difficulties through wayward passing. For all his strengths, Kasper was often really poor with mid-range passes, as is Iversen. I’d actually stick with him and see whether Maresca can mould him but I can see why Maresca may want an oven-ready option. 

The main difference is that Kasper still had better distribution than Iversen, and never struck me as being indecisive. Kasper also commanded his defence, something that both Ward and Iversen failed to do.

• Like 2