Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

2 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

I see it completely differently. The goals and assists might not have come but I think that's because he's too conservative and not taking risks. However, his quality in terms of deliver is generally excellent. He's got quite a unique technique and able to dig out a 15 yard cross with some dip and bend

...he does wrap his foot around the ball and that should give him better control!!!

The whip and pace may look good but are ineffective in how he implements them, he struggles due to his decision-making. If you can remember Ipswich under Burley in the Premier League, any balls played into the box were on the floor, you only needed one touch to move the ball around, keeping the ball on the floor takes away the 50/50 element, and you are still in possession. The amount of goals they scored in the last minute, just because they were brave enough to play the same way inside the box as they would outside the box.

It's lovely to watch us just steamroll teams. We're simply much better than anyone else. I do however have concerns because some of the defensive errors we are making. We made a few yesterday that we got away with because Swansea are a run of the mill championship side. Vestergaard got outpaced so easily I actually laughed.  Got bailed out by Hermansen. Another time Ricardo (I think) just gave the ball away at the D of our box and they nearly scored. 

We'll get promoted easily, no problem. I hope Enzo have plans to upgrade a number of positions next season because average Premier League strikers will bury us with the way we defend so poorly at times.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Koke said:

We'll get promoted easily, no problem. I hope Enzo have plans to upgrade a number of positions next season because average Premier League strikers will bury us with the way we defend so poorly at times.

I'm sure there will be upgrades next season and I do agree Premier League strikers would do much better against our defence. We do however have the best defence in the League regarding goals conceded. This suggests that other teams aren't as good as us at defending against the same poor standard of strikers.

28 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

I'm sure there will be upgrades next season and I do agree Premier League strikers would do much better against our defence. We do however have the best defence in the League regarding goals conceded. This suggests that other teams aren't as good as us at defending against the same poor standard of strikers.

Tbf every team we’ve played strikers are just absolutely gash, you could put them through 1 v 1 5 times and they’d probably only score 2 

7 minutes ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

Tbf every team we’ve played strikers are just absolutely gash, you could put them through 1 v 1 5 times and they’d probably only score 2 

Yes, that what I'm trying to say. These gash strikers are scoring more against our opponents defences, so by that metric our defence is the best in the league, but I agree, not good enough for the Prem.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MGLCFC said:

We're better defensively because we starve the opposition of possession and run them ragged. I saw some stat earlier in the last 30 minutes of our games we've outscored the opposition 15-0. We tire them out because they've all set up, bar Southampton, to sit in against us and chase shadows. 

In essence we're the best defence in the league because we have the best, and certainly most talented, attack and it scares teams into changing their game before a ball has even been kicked. In our 12 games so far this season I'd guess at an average of 2-3 dangerous attacks against us per game

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Vardy dropping really deep to pick up the ball, almost

Very noticeable. Though if that's to be a permanent feature, kels is better at dong that 

Passing felt a lot more crisp and accurate than usual

Agree. Tho that may have been helped by Swansea. We repeatedly had space in midfield for once, rather than 11 men ahead of them 

Ricardo's brain fart

He has at least one a game and)or gets robbed in midfield at least once per game. I'm still yet to be convinced of his role and still wonder if Hamza might actually play it better 

37 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

He has at least one a game and)or gets robbed in midfield at least once per game. I'm still yet to be convinced of his role and still wonder if Hamza might actually play it better 

Can't see Hamza being able to do the creative side of the role like Ricardo is able to do unfortunately

• Like 3

Interesting game tonight (vs sunderland).

I posted this (i've refined it a little) in the post-match thread but feel it's something worth considering when we look at the way we played:

It's worth noting that we've only scored 7 of our 27 goals in the first half hour, and conceded 5 of our 7 - so this was the first game where we've had to defend a lead from such an early point, against a team that actually wanted to try and score (Neither Rotherham nor Stoke actively went looking for an equaliser) - so it's fair to say that we're still getting used to this type of match situation.  Personally, although  we were really sloppy in possession at times, which didn't help matters,  i thought we actually dealt with the situation really well - winks and KDH led the team in tackles (5 and 4) respectively,)  a total of 12 players registered at least 1 tackle; 7 players registered at least 1 clearance, and our use of strategic fouling was a masterclass (apart from Faes in the penalty area...). 

It felt like the instruction was not necessarily to press (though, there were times when we did) but to allow them to come on to us, to force them to find a way through us.  And even though they threw everything at us,  we dealt with it without it ever looking like they'd break us down.

My frustration is that when we play these teams that we expect will attack us, we seem to play nacho - tonight was set up for vardy or daka, as there was acres of space to counter into, which is perhaps why the route 1 option wasn't brilliantly successful.

• Like 3

Tonight was all about Sunderland stopping us playing with the best press we’ve seen at the King Power this season, not through a fault of our own. Didn’t see Ricardo find too much time to actually move inside. 

I did think he’d swap Ricardo and Justin for tonight so Justin could lock up Clarke - worked pretty well. 

Mowbray set them up fantastically. If Kel and Casadei take their chances it’s 3-0 on another day mind. 

• Like 1

On 22/10/2023 at 05:33, HitchinFox said:

You'll find that a huge majority of football fans (not just ours) don't watch football through a tactics lens, purely because they don't really understand any of it. They know the rules of football, but literally don't know what they are looking at. 

Some of the comments/shouts these fans make during games are the equivalent of someone standing up and shouting "you need to play much louder and faster, use an electric guitar" in the middle of a Brahms Symphony at the Royal Festival Hall.

This is me... watched the game for 50+ years.. played at a few lveles for 35+... still have almost ni idea what our "tactics" are. I tend to be in the game. Obviously i can see us playing the ball rather than lumping it etc.. but i genuinely dont know if (or even what a 4,3,2,1 etc is when we play) we change our tactics

• Haha 1