Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

8 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I have missed feelings on the tactical pulls to prevent breakaways. I despise Man City doing it and felt refs should've pre warned them prior to games that they wouldn't hesitate to book or send off. 

That said the feeble, weak, meek gamesmanship from a Rodgers team appalled me too 

I was delighted with Ricardo taking one for the team the other day. Under Brendan, I've no doubt they'd have been through on goal. The smartness is knowing when to do it and not when you're on a booking etc 

Edited by HybridFox
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, HybridFox said:

I was delighted with Ricardo taking one for the team the other day. Under Brendan, I've no doubt they'd have been through on goal. The smartness is knowing when to do it and not when you're on a booking etc 

Not comparing us to Man City but it’s what they do. I’m glad we’re doing it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, murphy said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Parma aren't wondering if they weren't just a tad bit hasty now.

Having listened to the 5live interview last night (at 9.30pm on 5live for those with BBC Sounds), it sounds like he had a lot of good coaching skills however it was working with Pep that has tactically taken him to the next level. So we are getting a better Enzo than Parma had. 

Also he's so humble, he's a scholar of the game, which Rodgers was not. That gives you such a higher potential for growth, and hence why Rodgers teams decline and why Klopp's, Pep's and hopefully Enzo's constantly evolve.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, HybridFox said:

This

We need to be nastier and the desire to win at nearly all costs.

From the fans too. Far too polite for me most of the time. Need to get behind the lads and if our last european adventure has taught us anything that

1) PSV Eindhoven can influence our pre-match music more than the fans

2) European fans are 10000% better than us at making noise and making it uncomfortable just like Legia when we couldn't get a single song going before being drowned out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lionator said:

Having listened to the 5live interview last night (at 9.30pm on 5live for those with BBC Sounds), it sounds like he had a lot of good coaching skills however it was working with Pep that has tactically taken him to the next level. So we are getting a better Enzo than Parma had. 

Also he's so humble, he's a scholar of the game, which Rodgers was not. That gives you such a higher potential for growth, and hence why Rodgers teams decline and why Klopp's, Pep's and hopefully Enzo's constantly evolve.  

I enjoyed that…!

Not leaning far out off the window,knows & sees the next game is the one that delivers that chance for improvement.

We fans can look far in the future….Enzo commits to the moment,with the rescources of the moment…Good to hear he doesn’t want to uproot too early,and first happy to stay in England ( hopefully Leicester )  solid base for the family..

That gives me the impression he would like this phase to stretch out…

Edited by fuchsntf

19 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I have missed feelings on the tactical pulls to prevent breakaways. I despise Man City doing it and felt refs should've pre warned them prior to games that they wouldn't hesitate to book or send off. 

That said the feeble, weak, meek gamesmanship from a Rodgers team appalled me too 

Agreed. Not something I would enjoy watching or recommend as a big tactic, but it shows this team is doing whatever it can to win unlike previous regimes.

7 minutes ago, shen said:

It's premature to even mention him in the same breath as Klopp or Pep, except in context of his time at Man City, wouldn't you say?

100%

he’s still finding his feet

he hasn’t been tactfully solidly challenged by another coach with a decent team - perhaps Mowbray the closest we’ve seen. Let’s see what farke has in his locker for Friday. 

The only thing we seem to consistently miss (especially when Ndidi is absent) is the eights making runs into the half spaces, behind the opposition CBs in order to cut the ball back. Sometimes they just feel a little too static. I think the control we show is absurd though - that is to say we control pretty much the entire pitch aside from the opposition's box.

image.thumb.png.a8969140ec5bdb6fb4bcb6083e7cd77b.png

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Saving this post as a stub for my QPR write-up. Not the most interesting game tactically, other than the first time we saw Iheanacho and Vardy on the pitch at the same time... for all of 5 minutes! (And Casadei actually played as the second striker anyway...)

Going to write up my Leeds preview first!

I suggest on the QPR to look at how they used Dykes and trying to pin the non inverted full back with a right wing getting forward a lot. 

Something RovRum did quite well with Hugill and their right side 

2 hours ago, Claridge said:

It certainly helps that the standard of the championship is shocking, just look at Burnley who also strolled the league. Hopefully get promoted early and plan for next season. Need excellent recruitment for next year to stand a chance of staying up

This is vitally important, as impressive as the results are and as impressive as the final 15 minute goals stats are, we do tend to come out in the first half quite sloppy and sluggish and the opposition often get a couple of decent chances in. 
It’s not the premier league, but I think we can all see that realistically that is the level of our squad right now, so we have to look with a long term vision and the next window is crucial. 
Because again, results and performances have been dominating and you can only beat whoever is infront of you, but if we were performing like this in the premier league we would have shipped many more goals from the quality of chances we’ve given away, and top level teams will punish us for that heavily. 

Would we stay up? Likely because the bottom 3 in the current premier league are awful, but I don’t think we would be as high as some assume. I guess that’s the exciting part though right, the fact there is such a big space for improvement can only be a good thing when you have a young hungry manager who has a clear strategy and blueprint. 

3 hours ago, Claridge said:

It certainly helps that the standard of the championship is shocking, just look at Burnley who also strolled the league. Hopefully get promoted early and plan for next season. Need excellent recruitment for next year to stand a chance of staying up

We have Rudkin 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Queens Park Rangers 1 - 2 Leicester City

Dl6LDjg.png

• Leicester went surprisingly strong for this one, with Winks, Vardy and Vestergaard all starting.
    • Coady for Faes and Choudhury for Ricardo were the two biggest changes. JJ returned to his usual position.
  • Leicester controlled the game throughout and dictated most of the play, but sloppy passing gave QPR chances, who had a go when they turned over the ball.
  • I felt we were complacent in this one and just expected to win. After going ahead, it felt like the floodgates would open, but we were really lackadaisical.
    • It was notable that Maresca sent out the team early in the second half, I think he will have got into them at half time.
  • At the start of the second half, QPR made a tactical change and tried to press the game high up the pitch.
    • However, this backfired. More gaps started appearing at the back, and this led to Fatwu getting in and resulting in the sending off incident.
  • The sending off changed the game. QPR just sat in deep and did not try to attack, entirely understandable. This made it harder for us to score as those gaps no longer appeared.
  • Maresca moved Casasdei up to be a second striker after the sending off, but he was not that effectual. He tried to use his physical strength to help win the second ball.
    • Iheanacho came on at 79 minutes, the first time we had him and Vardy on the pitch at the same time.
    • They were on the pitch for all of 4 minutes, as Winks scored on 80, and as a result, Maresca reverted back to our 433 / 3241 with McAteer coming on as an 8, and Albrighton on for Fatawu.
    • Against Leeds it will be interesting to see if Casadei keeps his place. He had an average game, but Leeds are a top team and I feel like we need more from him against them. McAteer or Yunus (if he's back) might feature instead of him. If he plays like he did against Sunderland, it won't be a problem though.
  • What a goal the winner was! It's been notable that since the last international break, Winks has been pushing up more and taking more shots. With the way we play, he will get time and space in those positions, and with a finish like that, I can see Winks bagging a few more by the end of the season.

Overall a laboured win, but one of those wins that marks out champions, grinding out a win. I find it interesting how even though we were chasing the win, ultimately after going 2-1 up, 17 more minutes were played, showing that we had quite a while left to get that goal. In fact, this has been a hallmark of our season, with only Casadei's winner against Cardiff feeling like a last-gasp winner.

The one word of caution is that we might be getting complacent. It's totally understandable why this might be the base, and we've got a great manager that isn't afraid to get stuck into the players and make sure they don't feel comfortable!

I haven’t seen any of the match @StriderHiryu but noticed one or two sensible posters in the match thread suggesting we looked leggy or tired rather than complacent. Thoughts? Has Enzo rotated enough?!?