Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

23 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

I did say Doyle is being targeted… and Hull went with their lead striker on the right wing today. 

Hes weak on his right hand side and inner channel. Vestergaard is concerned about Faes and Faes is naturally pulled right cos Pereira goes inverted. We saw that big gap of space appear a couple of times where Doyle had to cover. 

Hull try to be like us but their back four isn’t good enough to pass it out. Can’t believe it took us entire half to realise that 

Doyle was terrible, seems slower than Vesty

Just now, Claridge said:

Doyle was terrible, seems slower than Vesty

Given he shifts over to full back without the ball he gets exposed to more one on one situations when we lose the ball.

Clearly he is not as slow as Vestergaard, but he is cumbersome and slow to sort his legs out whilst backpedaling. Not the first match where he has been skinned frequently on his inside.

30 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

I did say Doyle is being targeted… and Hull went with their lead striker on the right wing today. 

Hes weak on his right hand side and inner channel. Vestergaard is concerned about Faes and Faes is naturally pulled right cos Pereira goes inverted. We saw that big gap of space appear a couple of times where Doyle had to cover. 

Hull try to be like us but their back four isn’t good enough to pass it out. Can’t believe it took us entire half to realise that 

Said the same thing after the Huddersfield game when I thought Warnock targeted Doyle. Don't know what's going on with JJ bit if he's anything like he was before his injury then I'm struggling to see why he doesn't get in this team

8 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

the ground is a cesspit. 

"JUST GET RID OF IT"

"HIT IT LONG"

"GET IT OUT"

Goalkeeper/defender duly obliges...

"WHO'S THAT TO!?"

"KEEP THE BALL!"

"WHAT A WASTE!"

LCFC fans being LCFC fans.

Couldnt hear any positive singing from them again, only when winning, otherwise moaning at the players.

34 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I've always said that the first 10 games were going to be rough, and expected something a bit like this performance. We are bedding in so many new players, it's going to take time to build up the fluency. 

Completely agree with this. However, one small worry, if I'm being really honest, is that I haven't seen much variation in tactics so far (to some extent we haven't needed it).

I get that consistency of style and tactics is key, however, in a game like today's, all we did was change personnel, we didn't do anything different to unsettle Hull.

With 10 minutes left, when the formation hasn't really worked, why not go two up front and play more direct, see what happens (for example). That might sound a bit Mike Bassett but it was a pretty comfortable 90 minutes for Hull. They were happy to give us the ball, let our wingers huff and puff and then just defend their box. 

I've been impressed with Enzo so far but I thought he should have taken the handbrake off when it was clear this one was drifting away from us. 

• Like 1

It is going to take time, and perhaps it's good that we've lost a game relatively early into the season.

The side feels unfinished, because it is. It's very much a work in progress. I just really hope we can at least sort our creativity and finishing out. As today demonstrated, we can't glide through the season on luck and "talent". We've got to create better chances, and kill teams off.

Not aimed at anyone in this thread, genuinely, but it depresses me no end when English football fans can only see as far as 442, overlapping wing backs pinging crosses in, or two up top and see what happens. 

This new system will take time, but let's not kid ourselves that Maresca is a maverick trying out wild new tactics. This system works and is proven. It will need time to embed and get everyone singing from the same sheet. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Leicester 0 - 1 Hull City

FKetHpc.png

Didn't deserve to lose this one, but most certainly did not deserve to win it either! The dropped points were coming. Though we won all our games so prior to this one, we got away with too many lucky wins according to the underlying data. This time round we are probably unlucky to lose, but these things even themselves out over the course of the season.

We weren't creative enough today, but we also saw lots of sloppy passes or moments throughout the match.

I've always said that the first 10 games were going to be rough, and expected something a bit like this performance. We are bedding in so many new players, it's going to take time to build up the fluency. Personally, I think we will still see us flatter to deceive until about game 15 or so, it really does that that much time to get things right at minimum with system based tactics.

• Tactically, Hull went 4231 and despite missing their best player so far this season in Tufan, still chose an attacking lineup and were rewarded, albeit luckily.
  • Initially, a tactic they had was to try to go man to man with Ricardo and Winks, though I think this left to them being vulnerable on the transition.
  • Their goal came out of nowhere, and via a lucky deflection, but afterwards they had a few dangerous counter-attacks where Aaron Connelly should have done better. Despite that, he was one of their better players today.
  • Afterwards they dug in with a deep block and played on the counter attack. They picked up a ton of yellow cards to kill our momentum and slow the game down. That worked amazingly well.
  • What went wrong for us? Not clinical enough in the final third. 1 shot on target says it all, and in general we have not tested the keeper nearly enough in any of the games we have played so far.

You'd have to say that was a big test failed. Next up are two headline games, away to Southampton and Norwich, and those games will really tell us where we are this season.

I think our midfield and attack are too far apart, so no opportunity to move through the opposition in triangles. Right midfielder also goes very wide and not seeing RW cut in as much to compensate. Too often I saw Ndidi or Casedei on the touch line then 10-15 yds ahead was the right winger. 

One of Ricardo or Winks needs to add an attacking body in the middle. It’s not going to Winks, so needs to be Ricky. CMs to be in closer box, at the moment we’re in an upside down trapezoid 

Most worrying of all is now we still get cut in two with just one simple ball down the channel or between Vesty and today it was Doyle 

• Like 1

Said it in this thread last week, the connection between our two 8’s and the front three needs to seriously improve.

That’s our main weakness right now, KDH hasn’t been great and Ndidi’s passing has been woeful, 55% pass accuracy from him today is diabolical. 

Maybe starting Casadei could end up being a simple solution, but at this particular moment I do worry about that position. Praet being out injured until about November-December doesn’t help matters either.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sbfox said:

Not aimed at anyone in this thread, genuinely, but it depresses me no end when English football fans can only see as far as 442, overlapping wing backs pinging crosses in, or two up top and see what happens. 

This new system will take time, but let's not kid ourselves that Maresca is a maverick trying out wild new tactics. This system works and is proven. It will need time to embed and get everyone singing from the same sheet. 

tbf im with you, cant beat every single team and we are bedding in a new system/style of play, plus a turnover of players, 

be honest, if someone would have gave me 6 wins out of 7 before the season started I would have took that, least we have a 2 week break now and hopefully Enzo and the team will try and right some wrong and get everything more polished

some of our players need to step up a bit more too, show what they are made of

5 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

tbf im with you, cant beat every single team and we are bedding in a new system/style of play, plus a turnover of players, 

be honest, if someone would have gave me 6 wins out of 7 before the season started I would have took that, least we have a 2 week break now and hopefully Enzo and the team will try and right some wrong and get everything more polished

some of our players need to step up a bit more too, show what they are made of

Yeah, exactly. I'm not saying we've played brilliantly, or that some individual players don't need to improve, but the foundations are there. 

34 minutes ago, kristianity77 said:

It just feels similar to Rodgers tactics to me, just a faster version of it.

I suppose you could call it that if you consider it a "lot" faster I mean like 30x faster.  Today we was up the pitch within a few passes often, rodgers ball we would maybe get in the opposition half after about 40 mins and 100 passes.

Our owner doesnt like simple football.  So we have to hope Enzo gets all the kinks sorted.  The obvious weakness right now is we need far too many attempts to score and are still soft at conceding, just hope Enzo recognises that as we are improving in midfield, but not at the two critical ends of the pitch.

Edited by Chrysalis

1 hour ago, davieG said:

We're not on our own Southampton lost 5-0 away to Sunderland and Norwich lost 2-1 away to Tranmere. I'd imagine they're have similar discussions to us.

Of cause you're right I'm sure they are although I'm pretty sure Tranmere isn't near Rotherham! 

• Haha 1