Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EnderbyFox

Soumare to Napoli?

6 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Think about what Rodgers said about him when he first arrived (wanted to make him more box to box and score goals), then look how he employed him, either trying to do that or defensive midfielder. 

If you then read this demonstrating his strong and weak points,  it was no surprise it didn't work out. Likewise he improved under Smith somewhat when employed in a more natural role.

https://breakingthelines.com/player-analysis/player-analysis-boubakary-soumare/

Let’s be honest now, nobody improved under Smith, so I don’t know what you mean there. 

I don’t think he was ever particularly restricted in a Rodgers system either? There was definitely opportunity to show what he’s capable of anyway. Too easy to blame Rodgers when Soumare never turned out a decent 90 minutes.

Centre midfielders in the Prem need to be dynamic and capable of playing different roles in and out of possession. I didn’t see any of the strengths mentioned in that article other than a few instances of driving forward with the ball. 

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

Even in a succesful set up you still have to carry him, he doesn't work hard enough, nor he is he able to play as a 6 and he's not creative/threatening enough to play as an 8. He's had 1 successful season in his career up to now and that was in a niche set up at Lille.

...an #8 does not have to bring creativity, there is more than one way to play this role!!!

gerrimout

Probably the single greatest example of the diminishing returns of the Rodgers era. One great game against Wolves, otherwise one of the most languid and soft-bellied players I've ever seen in a Leicester shirt.

If we get even half of what we paid for him I'll be happy. We could get a better midfielder for £4-5 million based purely on application.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Richmondfox said:

Watch the first 10 seconds of this highlights from the first Man Utd game this season, this sums up Soumare at Leicester.  Even when he see the player with the ball and is the closet to him he jogs slower than my nan.  

No urgency, I’m not sure if he’s lazy or just thick. 

https://youtu.be/7O8fz7TTYXw

F**k me that's atrocious.

I know we shouldn't judge a player on something that happened months ago, but as you say, that sums up his career for us.

Lazy or braindead? It's like Viz wrote Shakespeare.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, James_lcfc said:

Let’s be honest now, nobody improved under Smith, so I don’t know what you mean there. 

I don’t think he was ever particularly restricted in a Rodgers system either? There was definitely opportunity to show what he’s capable of anyway. Too easy to blame Rodgers when Soumare never turned out a decent 90 minutes.

Centre midfielders in the Prem need to be dynamic and capable of playing different roles in and out of possession. I didn’t see any of the strengths mentioned in that article other than a few instances of driving forward with the ball. 

I agree that he didn't get improved by Smith, he was merely played in his best position ie in between the other midfield players, not defensive, not attacking. He's a facilitator and there are a number of them that are not seen as dynamic, it's not that sort of eye-catching contribution. Think Didier Deschamps for example, the epitome of a grey man, certainly not dynamic, yet he'd be one of the first names on the sheet for Juventus and France. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Richmondfox said:

Watch the first 10 seconds of this highlights from the first Man Utd game this season, this sums up Soumare at Leicester.  Even when he see the player with the ball and is the closet to him he jogs slower than my nan.  

No urgency, I’m not sure if he’s lazy or just thick. 

https://youtu.be/7O8fz7TTYXw

In his defence….Rodgers told him to not track a player so it’s not his fault 😜

I know that we all still have a lot of angst against Rodgers but some of the posts blaming him for Soumare putting in minimal effort is beyond madness.

Shame as he actually has a quite good first touch so if had better application/game awareness wouldn’t have been the worst back up to Winks but at times would be like playing with a man down.

This is a player we just have to cut our losses on and get gone asap. 

Not sure if I will ever know if he has the fitness of an OAP, or he just really couldn't be bothered to put the work in. 

Either way, it shouldn't be our problem much longer. :fc:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mozartfox said:

See both the Italian Teams are looking for loans?  Do Italian Teams ever pay anything?

There's an argument that loans work for all parties. 

We will never recoup what we paid if we sell him now. He'd definitely go for a loss. If we loan him out we can get some money for a loan fee now and if he thrives, either get a confident player back who might be ready to have a fresh start here or at very least we get a better fee. If he flops, nothing really lost. 

As for the loaning clubs, he was excellent in France, they're obviously going to be hoping they can tap in to that but he's been poor here, would you take the risk on a tidy fee? 

It's worth remembering that Monaco fans felt the same way about Tielemans as we do about Soumaré. We loaned him to test the waters, signed him on a permanent and he won us the FA Cup. Not bad. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 2

Super easy to say he should have been sold last year but could we afford to?

If FFP is what drove the lack of activity last year, then the reported bids for him wouldn’t really have helped our situation. Remember this is long before Fofana went. Signed for £17m on a 5 year contract, his amortisation charge is £3.4m a year. So last summer he had a book value of £13.6m. 

I’ve seen various reports of what Monaco offered. £15m, £13m, €12m + €3m in add-ons. The latter two would mean we’d end up posting an accounting loss on that transfer, thus worsening our position. You need to get to break even at least.

Therefore, if up against FFP and wanting to keep squad numbers the same, you have to find a cheap replacement that costs equal to the amortisation charge you’re freeing up plus any wage differential less the accounting loss or a player on loan. 

This is why Iheanacho we’re willing to let Iheanacho leave. We can make a decent accounting profit on him, even if he only goes for 10m whereas we almost certainly can’t with Daka.

Edited by Kopfkino
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

There's an argument that loans work for all parties. 

We will never recoup what we paid if we sell him now. He'd definitely go for a loss. If we loan him out we can get some money for a loan fee now and if he thrives, either get a confident player back who might be ready to have a fresh start here or at very least we get a better fee. If he flops, nothing really lost. 

As for the loaning clubs, he was excellent in France, they're obviously going to be hoping they can tap in to that but he's been poor here, would you take the risk on a tidy fee? 

It's worth remembering that Monaco fans felt the same way about Tielemans as we do about Soumaré. We loaned him to test the waters, signed him on a permanent and he won us the FA Cup. Not bad. 

If he flops we are stuck with him until his contract runs out, similar to Praet. Or we would have to pay him off to leave. Would much prefer to get rid of him permanently even with a decent loss. 

• Like 1

Just now, Viva said:

If he flops we are stuck with him until his contract runs out, similar to Praet. Or we would have to pay him off to leave. Would much prefer to get rid of him permanently even with a decent loss. 

But we're stuck with him anyway. There's not a line of people looking to buy him and if they are it'll be at a highly reduced rate. His value probably isn't going to drop a lot from where it is now, is it really? 

If someone covers the majority of his wages for the year, either directly or through loan fees, we don't really lose anything. 

We likely don't need to cash in on him to sign a couple of wingers and another centre midfielder on a mixture of loans and transfers now that we've gotten Barnes out the door. 

We just want him off the wage bill for the year one way or another. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

But we're stuck with him anyway. There's not a line of people looking to buy him and if they are it'll be at a highly reduced rate. His value probably isn't going to drop a lot from where it is now, is it really? 

If someone covers the majority of his wages for the year, either directly or through loan fees, we don't really lose anything. 

We likely don't need to cash in on him to sign a couple of wingers and another centre midfielder on a mixture of loans and transfers now that we've gotten Barnes out the door. 

We just want him off the wage bill for the year one way or another. 

I would have thought we could find a buyer for £5-£10m. His agent needs to earn his money and find him a move. For me it’s better than just covering his wages until his contract runs out. 

Think I’d rather have Junior Lewis back than see Soumare play in the Championship!

1 minute ago, Viva said:

I would have thought we could find a buyer for £5-£10m. His agent needs to earn his money and find him a move. For me it’s better than just covering his wages until his contract runs out. 

Think I’d rather have Junior Lewis back than see Soumare play in the Championship!

Right, OK. I see now. You're one of those. 

In which case all I'll say is that I'm glad you aren't our Director of Football. Letting Soumaré go for £5 at this point would be hideous business. 

The Scudetto holders are showing an interest, there's obvious value there whether he's appropriate for a Championship club or not. 

• Like 1