Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

Stephy Mavididi

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

That's not Mavididi, we bought him for less than ten million to come and play in the Championship,

image.png.1ee6aef5aa0d89f764a6504ad25e4355.png

:wes:

(I can't handle another essay so I just need to clarify, this is me singling out one line for the purposes of humour)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

I nearly posted this but decided I could not be responsible for causing @Finnegan to emigrate back to AngryTown.  lol

lol

Overall it's a good post and making a good points, but I'd expect any footballer at any level to realise that squaring the ball for a tap in is the obvious choice. It's not some elite mindset.

It was just juicy that Vards matched this description :D 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, filbertway said:

lol

Overall it's a good post and making a good points, but I'd expect any footballer at any level to realise that squaring the ball for a tap in is the obvious choice. It's not some elite mindset.

It was just juicy that Vards matched this description :D 

It would actually agree with @Finnegan that comparing Mavididi to Vardy feels unfair, as one is a proven rare talent, the other is a promising one with still has much to learn and prove

Can do things no one else can in this side, quick strong and tall with tricks. He’s got it, just needs to be refined in that final third. He’s absolutely a modern inside forward.  

Barnes took his finishing to the next level over time with us, if he can do something similar he’ll be an animal. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Those saying that Vardy would have squared the ball are completely off their rocker, 999 out of 1000 any player in that situation is taking the shot on, especially someone like Vardy, how else do you think he's scored over 170 goals for us. Vardy takes the shot every single time.

Mavididi is a classic winger, will blow very hot and cold, not just week on week but in games. He'll go from the sublime to the ridiculous in a matter of minutes. His end product, which is clear to everyone, is what lets him down but hopefully that improves with time and if results continue, with confidence too.

And 64 assists, there is every chance he passes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Worth noting as well for Mavididi’s goal that bazunu’s positioning wasn’t very good, the whole goal was open for him to slot it in.

A keepers positioning will usually make up the forwards mind for them.

But it was a good finish 

I like Stephy and confident he will be an important player throughout the season BUT just wanted to say how awesome it is that we can actually take a winger out of the starting 11 (maybe even squad) if suffering from form.

It was so frustrating seeing us continue to play Barnes when he clearly wasn’t on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

I like Stephy and confident he will be an important player throughout the season BUT just wanted to say how awesome it is that we can actually take a winger out of the starting 11 (maybe even squad) if suffering from form.

It was so frustrating seeing us continue to play Barnes when he clearly wasn’t on it.

Our strength in depth in this division is a joke. Now we start hitting the 2-3 games a week period, as all teams pick up injuries, we will still have lots of good players to choose from. We even have players coming BACK from injuries that may make an impact, such as Braybrooke and Alves. Will they make an impact? No idea, but the emergence of McAteer means I wouldn't rule it out. Our depth probably gets us promoted.

The Southampton game made something abundantly clear with Mavididi, the guy is FAST. He was the player we were leaving furthest forward when defending corners because he was the outlet ball. Maresca knew Martin played a suicidally high line, and Mavididi was the one to take advantage of that. I'm interested to see how he does in the Liverpool game because with that kind of pace... maybe he can transition into a Premier League player after all. In the Premier League you get killed on the transition, as we found out countless times ourselves last season. If Mavididi gets the run on you, not many people are catching him.

Here are some player stats from the Championship last season. I looked at assists rather than goals as Wingers tend to be more about a combination of goals and assists than just goals. Based on this, I would be setting Mavididi a minimum target of 10 goals and 10 assists this season. So far he has 2 of both from 6 games, so on that run rate he could be getting as many as 15 of each. If he does, then he'll definitely be Premier League capable!

I was a bit underwhelmed in games prior to Southampton by Mavididi, but that game showed his true potential. It's a fact that he is stronger, taller, faster and a better dribbler than Harvey Barnes, and is hard-working. On paper, he should be able to be moulded into a good player and think he could get to the same standard as Bryan Mbeumo of Brentford, who got 9G, 8A last season.

Z0TJQyo.png

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Our strength in depth in this division is a joke. Now we start hitting the 2-3 games a week period, as all teams pick up injuries, we will still have lots of good players to choose from. We even have players coming BACK from injuries that may make an impact, such as Braybrooke and Alves. Will they make an impact? No idea, but the emergence of McAteer means I wouldn't rule it out. Our depth probably gets us promoted.

The Southampton game made something abundantly clear with Mavididi, the guy is FAST. He was the player we were leaving furthest forward when defending corners because he was the outlet ball. Maresca knew Martin played a suicidally high line, and Mavididi was the one to take advantage of that. I'm interested to see how he does in the Liverpool game because with that kind of pace... maybe he can transition into a Premier League player after all. In the Premier League you get killed on the transition, as we found out countless times ourselves last season. If Mavididi gets the run on you, not many people are catching him.

Here are some player stats from the Championship last season. I looked at assists rather than goals as Wingers tend to be more about a combination of goals and assists than just goals. Based on this, I would be setting Mavididi a minimum target of 10 goals and 10 assists this season. So far he has 2 of both from 6 games, so on that run rate he could be getting as many as 15 of each. If he does, then he'll definitely be Premier League capable!

I was a bit underwhelmed in games prior to Southampton by Mavididi, but that game showed his true potential. It's a fact that he is stronger, taller, faster and a better dribbler than Harvey Barnes, and is hard-working. On paper, he should be able to be moulded into a good player and think he could get to the same standard as Bryan Mbeumo of Brentford, who got 9G, 8A last season.

Z0TJQyo.png

Harvey Barnes looked too good for this division when on loan at West Brom. That’s why we recalled him. 

There must be reasons why SM isn’t playing Premier League football at the age of 25? 

8 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

Harvey Barnes looked too good for this division when on loan at West Brom. That’s why we recalled him. 

There must be reasons why SM isn’t playing Premier League football at the age of 25? 

We know he's not good enough yet. But what I'm saying is that if he's coached, could he get to the level where he is good enough? I suggest that the evidence we have so far shows that he has a chance.

Jamie Vardy didn't play in the Premier League till he was in his late 20's, but suffice to say, took his chance when he got there.

6 hours ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Worth noting as well for Mavididi’s goal that bazunu’s positioning wasn’t very good, the whole goal was open for him to slot it in.

A keepers positioning will usually make up the forwards mind for them.

Reminded me of Rashford slotting one past Ward last season with most of the goal to aim for 

30 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

We know he's not good enough yet. But what I'm saying is that if he's coached, could he get to the level where he is good enough? I suggest that the evidence we have so far shows that he has a chance.

Jamie Vardy didn't play in the Premier League till he was in his late 20's, but suffice to say, took his chance when he got there.

It will be interesting to watch. He has a ton of natural talent & Maresca appears to like working with and developing players. Maybe, just maybe Maresca can take him to the next level.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

It will be interesting to watch. He has a ton of natural talent & Maresca appears to like working with and developing players. Maybe, just maybe Maresca can take him to the next level.

Worst case scenario is he will have a Dwight Gayle style career where he is too good for the Championship but not good enough for the Premier League. Any team wanting promotion would want him.

• Like 1

On 15/09/2023 at 22:46, adamkhalifa said:

Not really a clean striker of the ball. Go back to his old videos. And it shows on there too. 

I don't think it's decision making either. The guy, has a football brain.

If I was the coaching setup, I'd get him to try and pass the ball in the net, rather than shoot. 

...he has a tendency to try and kick seven bells out of the ball when shooting!!!

His first goal was an incredible mistake by the opposition's keeper, the ball came straight to him and he allowed it to squirm it at his near post. He should have been looking to pass the ball into the net. It is noticeable how many of his shots go straight to their keeper,  he is always going for power instead of finesse.