Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Southgate stepping down after Euros

11 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Would be current European champions now if it wasn’t for him.

Id prefer it if he went before the tournament but this is next best thing I guess 

Couldn’t agree more. Loser. Not brave enough. 

Cost us the last two tournaments with his negative tactics. Never let the players have the freedom to do what they did for their clubs. 

Good riddance. 

• Like 3

Southgate reset the whole culture surrounding the England team. He has his favourites, which is what he tried to avoid when he first came in, but can you imagine how horrible it would've been if Allardyce remained in charge? Absolutely heinous personality.

He's not an innovator, but he follows the trends set by successful teams quite well, and we've finally had some relative success in international tournaments.

Whatever you may think about bottling the big games, his worst performance was a World Cup quarter final, an achievement that was our best while the 'Golden Generation' was playing.

Most of the players get on with each other, they enjoy meeting up and playing for England, and they are capable of playing scintillating football. He encourages them all to lead and to speak out on subjects that they're passionate about, and he isn't scared to talk about big topics outside of football. He'll leave the job with that platform to give to his successor, which is a hell of an achievement compared to what we could have experienced during this period of time.

I hope he gets a decent job in a good league when he goes :appl:

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Southgate has had an embarrassment of riches, probably the best England squad in my lifetime (relative to the rest of the world of the equivalent era) and largely been uninspired. 

Limped his way deep in to a couple of tournaments with favourable draws before collapsing to the first decent team he faces. 

He's just not good enough. In defence of the FA, it's increasingly difficult to find any quality manager who wants to manage an international team when all the money and prestige is in club management now but even so they aimed low with Southgate and got par. They lucked out somewhat with the aforementioned draw luck because purely by virtue of him arbitrarily getting to further rounds in tournaments than some of his predecessors he looked more competent than he is. 

But he's a pretty damn poor coach. Seems a good man manager, though. Tbf if you took his best qualities and Rodgers best qualities you'd probably have a half decent manager. 

I'd say some of those England squads from the Noughties were a lot better, even if the standard of opposition was better. The amount of quality defenders available was ridiculous. 

10 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

some of those England squads from the Noughties were a lot better

11 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

the standard of opposition was better

45 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

(relative to the rest of the world of the equivalent era)

16 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

What do you think will happen to Page and Wales, @Finnegan?

Are there any decent up-and-coming young prospects coming to the fore?

Narh it's always a lottery when we need a new manager. The FAW arguably took the wrong path when they opted for Giggs over Bellers but I think it's too late to reverse that now.

I honestly wouldn't like to guess who replaces Page when it's eventually time. 

We don't have the clout to convince someone like Rob Edwards (who deep down probably considers himself English anyway.)

Could finally be time for Pulis to throw his hat in the ring. lol can you imagine. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tommy Fresh said:

That works if you choose to ignore the part where I said "even" if the standard of opposition was better. So I'm responding directly to your point by stating even in relation to the quality of opponent those England sides were 'better' 

Other than centre backs I'm not convinced it's even that true tbf. 

I'd honestly choose Bellingham over either Gerrard or Lampard and I think a forward line of Kane backed up by any of the trillion fantastic wingers and attacking midfielders you have available now is stronger than anything you had historically (how the fvck did Michael Owen ever win a Ballon D'or?) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Narh it's always a lottery when we need a new manager. The FAW arguably took the wrong path when they opted for Giggs over Bellers but I think it's too late to reverse that now.

I honestly wouldn't like to guess who replaces Page when it's eventually time. 

We don't have the clout to convince someone like Rob Edwards (who deep down probably considers himself English anyway.)

Could finally be time for Pulis to throw his hat in the ring. lol can you imagine. 

My bet is on Coleman returning,

Just now, Finnegan said:

Other than centre backs I'm not convinced it's even that true tbf. 

I'd honestly choose Bellingham over either Gerrard or Lampard and I think a forward line of Kane backed up by any of the trillion fantastic wingers and attacking midfielders you have available now is stronger than anything you had historically (how the fvck did Michael Owen ever win a Ballon D'or?) 

Other than centre backs? look at the state of the current lot 😂 there was also Ashley Cole and Neville. I think what the under achievement and notorious cliques within those squads has highlighted is how well Southgate has done at creating a "club" like feel. He's definitely out of his depth tactically though.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Zear0 said:

Glad he's going.  It's difficult to knock him given how far in tournaments (so allow me to do just that), but we've had the most fortuitous draws you could hope for. The Germany win is the only result in tournament football where we weren't the favourites. In every other big game we've come short and I place a good portion on his inability to read the game and make changes. This is the problem when you hire a mouthpiece and not a manager to manage the national team. Combine this with making a squad of unbelievable talent into the most dull team going takes some doing so credit there. 

He's enormously popular with the media as he's given them more access to England than previous managers. It's to his credit his done that as it's bought him a lot of bank. Brendan-esque. 

I also think he's long crossed the line of being loyal to players and not even picking on ability let alone form. Maguire, Philips and Henderson in the recent call ups is proof of this. Was interesting to see him actually snapping at the hacks when they, finally, asked him about his cronyism loyalty. The phrase "they've never let us down" is genius marketing to justify picking the same team that have consistently let us down when it mattered. 

Enjoyed the runs as it did wonders for the country, but proof of his managerial prowess will be if he gets a top job after this. I wonder if his adorers would want him managing here? 

I'd dispute even that to be honest - I think in the context of people not fancying England due to our constant failure to win games like that you could think that, but a home game against a declining Germany (it's the only knockout fixture they've played in their last three tournaments), I'd say England ought to be favourites really.

Again - not disputing that it's an improvement on previous efforts. I could've seen the likes of Hodgson, Capello and Sven all blowing that fixture.

2 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I'd dispute even that to be honest - I think in the context of people not fancying England due to our constant failure to win games like that you could think that, but a home game against a declining Germany (it's the only knockout fixture they've played in their last three tournaments), I'd say England ought to be favourites really.

Again - not disputing that it's an improvement on previous efforts. I could've seen the likes of Hodgson, Capello and Sven all blowing that fixture.

I would agree given historical evidence.

I guess that begs the question of exactly why a job with such talented players as England have now (and in the past) appears to turn into such an underachieving poisoned chalice for so many managers?

He is more of a man manager/motivational type of manager than one with great tactical nous hence struggling a bit when it comes to key moments in big games .

But the players respect and like him which is more than can be said for previous managers.

Edited by Super_horns

He surely won't be heading into retirement after only ever achieving relegation as a manager. He probably has a lucrative China or MLS franchise offer already in. 

I for one won't mourn his tenure coming to an end, the football was often tedious and the team sheet cast in granite. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bazly said:

He surely won't be heading into retirement after only ever achieving relegation as a manager. He probably has a lucrative China or MLS franchise offer already in. 

I for one won't mourn his tenure coming to an end, the football was often tedious and the team sheet cast in granite. 

Lucrative China offer? Are we back in 2017 lmao 

• Haha 2