Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Southgate stepping down after Euros

49 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

It's not just having all these advantages, it's a matter of the degree of each advantage. For me the current squad isn't as talented as either 1996 or 2004-2006, the draws in 2018 and 2021 were about as easy as anything else in the 2010's and of course we had the home tournament in 1996.

The point being that other managers have had the same advantages that Southgate had had to varying degrees (sometimes greater IMO) and they've all done worse. Of course, judging such advantages is entirely subjective and therefore flawed which is why I tend to stick to just numbers when judging such matters anyhow. They don't lie, even when people's interpretations of them try to.

Fair enough. Diving deeper into the realms of 'but it's my opinion!! He IS awful!!' territory here. Like you said, can't argue with the basic fact that he's reached a semi and a final, I'll never really warm to him though which is odd as he's a warm guy.

• Like 1

interesting job for the person to take over, probably 3 of the worlds best in Bellingham, Saka and Foden but then you have an aging defence and then you have to replace Kane.

Lack of CB's and Strikers coming through and i partly blame Southgate for this no reason to be still playing Kane in every game and the likes of Maguire too. 

Would love Weigman to take it but i think there would be too many that just wouldn't get her appointment!

Daily Mail strikes again with it's clickbait article leading to nowhere. I will believe it when the FA or Southgate himself say it. I wouldn't trust the Mail if you paid me. 

If he does leave, I am still in the camp of he has always had a easy run of fixtures that got us far in tournaments but once we played any team worth their salt he was found out. He said he would pick on performance and then picks people who are either not playing or play in the comparrison of League 1 in the desert. 

Pep won't go for it. Jose might but it's not a job you can ever be judged as successful. One step out of line and the media will crucify you. 

Pep. lol

Southgate has objectively done a good job TBH, but he's been helped massively with a load of favourable draws. England always fall over against the best European teams and that hasn't changed. 

He's always been a yes-man for the FA, and so will his successor.

13 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Pep. lol

Southgate has objectively done a good job TBH, but he's been helped massively with a load of favourable draws. England always fall over against the best European teams and that hasn't changed. 

He's always been a yes-man for the FA, and so will his successor.

So you're saying the time is ripe for Aidy Boothroyd? 

3 hours ago, Zear0 said:

Glad he's going.  It's difficult to knock him given how far in tournaments (so allow me to do just that), but we've had the most fortuitous draws you could hope for. The Germany win is the only result in tournament football where we weren't the favourites. In every other big game we've come short and I place a good portion on his inability to read the game and make changes. This is the problem when you hire a mouthpiece and not a manager to manage the national team. Combine this with making a squad of unbelievable talent into the most dull team going takes some doing so credit there. 

He's enormously popular with the media as he's given them more access to England than previous managers. It's to his credit his done that as it's bought him a lot of bank. Brendan-esque. 

I also think he's long crossed the line of being loyal to players and not even picking on ability let alone form. Maguire, Philips and Henderson in the recent call ups is proof of this. Was interesting to see him actually snapping at the hacks when they, finally, asked him about his cronyism loyalty. The phrase "they've never let us down" is genius marketing to justify picking the same team that have consistently let us down when it mattered. 

Enjoyed the runs as it did wonders for the country, but proof of his managerial prowess will be if he gets a top job after this. I wonder if his adorers would want him managing here? 

I'm not a fan of him overall, although I can acknowledge he's done a decent job, add in it's probably the first time in my lifetime tournaments haven't been riddled with over the top hype, leading to disappointment. 

Even those big fans of him wouldn't exactly be in the wrong if they didn't want him managing us, club and international football are so different. I wouldn't even read to much in to where his next job is, how he performs is probably the best way to gauge his ability back at club level.

8 hours ago, leicsmac said:

And nor has anyone else since Ramsey (with him getting closer than any other), so I'm not sure why folks are inclined to give him a harder time than those before him.

People do go way too far in criticising him but it makes no difference if he is better than our previous managers, he's still not good enough to win tournaments and with our current squad that shouldn't be good enough.

8 minutes ago, Wortho said:

I will cheering when he eventually goes. With the players at his disposal we should have won the Euros at least.

I can't see him getting a job in the Premier. I can't stand his taking the knee and saying that "we have to teach the world" bullshit. 

I think that was one of the redeeming feature he had for me.  Why I got so hacked off when he batted away the Henderson Saudi question saying "he's not here to deal with political issues".  Bit like Henderson and cherry picking social/political movements when it suits their own image.

Also between your and my view does show he's on a loser whatever he does!

Just now, Zear0 said:

I think that was one of the redeeming feature he had for me.  Why I got so hacked off when he batted away the Henderson Saudi question saying "he's not here to deal with political issues".  Bit like Henderson and cherry picking social/political movements when it suits their own image.

Also between your and my view does show he's on a loser whatever he does!

Your's was a great post.

And all this nonsense that he improved the players!!! It was the club managers fgs. 

How did we lose to an ancient Italy side after taking the lead.To negative for me. But he said all the players after the WC were heroes. they weren't, they were losers.

The tactical similarities between Southgate and Rodgers are huge. Essentially both are over cautious and when playing sides better than us are far more worried about nullifying the oppositions threat than they are making the opposition manager fearful of what our players are capable of. 

In domestic league football you can attempt to stop the opposition from scoring and sometimes get away with it. More often than not though, you’ll concede- whether by a Vincent Kompany screamer, an own goal, or a soft penalty. Neither Rodgers nor Southgate throw caution to the wind at that point.

The repercussions of that are ‘merely’ dropped points. It’s why Rodgers is usually so blummin naff in knockout football, with the exception of our FA Cup win- which we almost lost anyway 

International knockout football is completely different. It’s still as easy to concede a goal whilst set out attempting to stifle the opposition, but your ‘season’ ends for the next 4 years within the next 90 mins unless you do throw caution to the wind and attempt to do something about it. 

Southgate in 2021 and last winter should’ve been letting the other manager worry about Kane, Foden, Saka, Sterling, Bellingham and force their manager into changing the way THEIR side is lined up so they have to try and nullify us. Throw the gauntlet down to them. He’s basically too nice to do that. Or he wants to win a tournament whilst attempting to pull off football manager tactical masterclasses, rather than trying to steamroll a side into submission. 

He’s done well, the record speaks for itself. But another manager with some guts about himself would’ve had us go 3-0 up on Italy 2 years ago 

Edited by The Year Of The Fox
  • Like 3