Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
alfox13

VAR

7 hours ago, trabuch said:

It's shit. The most obvious reason is that it spoils the experience for the fans in the stadium, and that should be justification enough for binning it. Also - there is no less controversy about decisions now. If you like it - please give me your justification for it. Does anyone like it?? Get rid, please.

I love not having it in the champ. Even if we get a shocker - I'll just shrug and say "**** the ref - he's a tosser (and my mate)" and I'll get over it.

I don’t see how anyone who isn’t a PGMOL ref could like it in its current format.

That said, technology generally is here to stay and there is a place (in my view) to have a way of picking up absolute howlers. But something that has been missed or given that comes under the category of absolute howler, is instantly visible the second you look again so you don’t need more than 20/30 seconds. Otherwise it is not clear and obvious.

It just gets used for too often and incorrectly. It was never meant to scrutinise every goal and try and disallow goals. And obviously run by those who are either completely incompetent or corrupt and in some cases, both.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Learn from the rugby TMO system which works far better and get automated offside in, don't ditch the system entirely.

Haven’t you seen the furore over the past few weeks with the TMO.  Plenty of unhappiness with inconsistency ?

rugby is completely different to football - lots of longer natural breaks with set pieces 

the only thing they have better is the comms are available for us to hear 

having heard the referee audio from games I wonder if refs would find it easier if they wore a pair of headphones to take out all the crowd noise and players moaning 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Maybe the PL will be willing to get it now ?

Has anyone asked them .

As I understood it, one of the problems is that the auto offside system uses adidas balls and the PL ball is Nike sponsored. I would assume that Nike are working on this with the tech Co responsible for auto offside 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Maybe the PL will be willing to get it now ?

Has anyone asked them .

Hopefully so.

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Haven’t you seen the furore over the past few weeks with the TMO.  Plenty of unhappiness with inconsistency ?

rugby is completely different to football - lots of longer natural breaks with set pieces 

having heard the referee audio from games I wonder if refs would find it easier if they wore a pair of headphones to take out all the crowd noise and players moaning 

Not nearly so much unhappiness as with VAR, and I daresay much less than there would be if TMO/VAR wasn't there, either.

Agreed regarding the differences in the game, but the communication and explanations between the officials in rugby is so much better than in football, for one thing. There's definitely things to learn there.

A well-applied technological system reduces human errors in play, and IMO that is something to strive for rather than permitting it out of some rose-tinted idealism of what football "should" be.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

And hopefully not talk over each other shouting which we heard in the videos.

honestly just scrap it now. always going to be incorrect things, with or without it. 

So you may as well just get on with the game and take the rough with the smooth .

i’m not sat here crying for the ref to have stopped the game for 5 mins to get summerville sent off… I just shrug and go.. he got that one wrong.  Just give the game back now

• Like 4

The whole point of football is scoring goals, there’s many different ways and styles of getting it there but the one thing we all crave is that hit, high or rush of elation when the ball hits the back of the net. VAR kills that moment of pure unbridled jubilation and as a result part of the game has died, I’d not realised how much it was spoiling my enjoyment of football until this season.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Think pundits and TV have made it worse too. 

First season they made a fuss because not all decisions were made by the onfield ref. Hence the switch the sending the ref over for everything even though they agree 99% of the time.

This process only slows the whole thing down, so pundits, Comms, sky, complain about that. VAR try to speed up and introduce errors like the Liverpool non-goal at Spurs.

Yesterday they took their time for a complicated decision and everyone is still moaning.

Obvious solution is just to bin it.

This. 

VAR can't win.

• Quick and imprecise and they get pelters for making mistakes even with benefit of replays and technology. 
  • Methodical and 'technically correct' and they get pilloried for being overly fastidious or taking too long and ruining the flow of the game. 
  • Get rid of VAR, and the number of high profile officiating mistakes will increase and refs will be criticised for that instead. 

Maybe the average fan and pundit needs to just chill out a bit and accept that there will always be an element of human error in a fast paced frenetic sport where 90% of the decisions are subjective and officiated by 1-4 people watching live. 

Also does no one else see the irony in the same people who seem to be moaning about VAR all the time and saying it's terrible for 'ruining the game' are also the same people happy to flood the airwaves, TV channels and social media with painstaking analysis of the errors all week until the next game ad nauseum? 

Edited by Les-TA-Jon
  • Like 1

I hate VAR it's just there to scrub goals out and remove the joy of scoring. Fitter linesman would help, the guy on the west stand side in the Leeds game missed several offsides due to being unfit and not keeping up with play. A simple solution would be try four linesmen, if both flag it's offside. Then again they would probably both cock it up lol.

9 minutes ago, foxgas said:

I hate VAR it's just there to scrub goals out and remove the joy of scoring. Fitter linesman would help, the guy on the west stand side in the Leeds game missed several offsides due to being unfit and not keeping up with play. A simple solution would be try four linesmen, if both flag it's offside. Then again they would probably both cock it up lol.

They would certainly cock it up. You can imagine with 2 linesman in the same half of the pitch, as soon as one lifts his flag, the other would naturally follow just to be in agreement with his mate

I think we can all agree that VAR aside, goal line technology has been a success. So why would this not be implemented across the whole by-line to avoid scenarios like Arsenal at the weekend, and offside should be done with automatic technology too.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

I don’t think I’ve seen VAR catch a blatant “miles offside” since it was brought in. 

The linesmen are so good now that they tend to be correct most of the time.

Apart from marginal calls, which would be difficult to get angry about. 

This annoys me about pundits and commentators. 

They're so quick to say, after a replay, that it's so clear a player is offside. But I doubt in real time on the sideline that it's actually that easy or clear to see. What's easy for them to see on a replay is probably still marginal in real time. 

21 minutes ago, Monk said:

I think we can all agree that VAR aside, goal line technology has been a success. So why would this not be implemented across the whole by-line to avoid scenarios like Arsenal at the weekend, and offside should be done with automatic technology too.

I guess anything that doesn’t involve human input and is factual should be ok

of course auto offsides still won’t deal with interference issues like the Man City goal last month so we still won’t escape all controversy even with that

auto offside will rely on Nike collaboration with the tech involved ( Nike balls in PL)  - currently adidas balls only work afaik . 

regarding goal line tech being used to evaluate ball out of play - should have been done already but maybe not done cos of cost ?

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

I don’t think I’ve seen VAR catch a blatant “miles offside” since it was brought in. 

The linesmen are so good now that they tend to be correct most of the time.

Apart from marginal calls, which would be difficult to get angry about. 

Absolutely spot on.   

People were sold the lie that VAR would fix blatant /obvious errors like Maradona's 1986 handball, and goals where a player was 5 yards offside.

But linesmen are pretty good, and I can't think of one single offside "howler" by a linesman since VAR came in (or many before come to think about it.)

(Maybe Jeff Astle up at Leeds in 1971, but that wouldn't be offside today anyway as the other player wasn't interfering with play)

It was only ever really managers and pundits who kept on moaning about officiating so much, that they thought they had to bring something in. 

In truth, most officials are pretty good,  and make no more mistakes than over-paid players and managers.

• Like 2