Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ronnup

10 year gap, who wins ?

That 13/14 team tore the league up and was exciting to watch, also with a little tweaking it was essentially the team that kept us up 14/15.

The current team may get us up. still nothing guaranteed especially with our strikers but if we do go back up, money is really going to be needed to be spent.

• Like 2

I’m going to disagree with most. I think today’s team wins that game. 

For starters, them players were not the players we are remembering them as in regards to Vardy & Mahrez, but that’s  not why i’m saying today’s team wins. I think today’s team wins more on a reflection on how the much the game has changed in a decade. How the tactics we used then are now dated unfortunately. 

As somebody previously posted, if you’re asking what i’d rather watch it would be 13/14 every single day of the week. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sampson said:

For me:

Schmeichel

Ricardo

Morgan

Faes

Konchesky

Winks

Drinkwater

Dewsbury-Hall

Dyer

Vardy (in his 13-14 form)

Mahrez

Or

Schmeichel

Ricardo

Morgan

Faes

Konchesky

Mahrez

Drinkwater

Winks

Dyer

13-14 Vardy

Nugent 

That’s 7-4 or 8-3 to 13/14 depending if you’re using the 13/14 or 23/24 formation

It’s a brave man who’s telling Was he’s not made the cut…

• Haha 2

There is a bit more leadership in the 13/14 team plus Mahrez is in there he is better than every midfielder we currently have.

Kasper was a great leader but Mads looks just as good and is better with his feet although that didn't stop us winning both leagues and the fa cup.

I'd say 13/14 just as you have a prime Vardy as well, the Magicia along with a solid defence ok midfield but it's pretty even.. I think the  players we have now are probably better overall though these one below anyway

Players like Winks, Ricardo, Justin, Ndidi, KDH, Fatawu would all feature/walk into that team though.

Edited by whoareyaaa

Guest Sideshow Faes
19 hours ago, lcfcsnow said:

2013/14 would do this team on the counter. We were better than all of the possession obsessed teams, and carried that on eventually in the Premier League. Now when we go up we'll just be another possession obsessed team. :(

We dominated the ball through Drinkwater and James in 13/14 

4 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

There is a bit more leadership in the 13/14 team plus Mahrez is in there he is better than every midfielder we currently have.

Kasper was a great leader but Mads looks just as good and is better with his feet although that didn't stop us winning both leagues and the fa cup.

I'd say 13/14 just as you have a prime Vardy as well, the Magicia along with a solid defence ok midfield but it's pretty even.. I think the  players we have now are probably better overall though these one below anyway

Players like Winks, Ricardo, Justin, Ndidi, KDH, Fatawu would all feature/walk into that team though.

I'm sorry but there's no way Fatawu "walks" into the 13-14 team ahead of Dyer, Knockaert or Mahrez. He'd be comfortably 4th choice winger. Great prospect, but nowhere near their level yet. Drinkwater also comfortably above Ndidi or KDH and Konchesky far more consistent than Justin.

Mads also does not look "just as good" yet as prime Schmeichel. He's a great prospect, but people getting way too ahead of themselves thinking that Schmeichel vs Hermansson is even a debate.

21 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I'm sorry but there's no way Fatawu "walks" into the 13-14 team ahead of Dyer, Knockaert or Mahrez. He'd be comfortably 4th choice winger. Great prospect, but nowhere near their level yet. Drinkwater also comfortably above Ndidi or KDH and Konchesky far more consistent than Justin.

Mads also does not look "just as good" yet as prime Schmeichel. He's a great prospect, but people getting way too ahead of themselves thinking that Schmeichel vs Hermansson is even a debate.

I agree about Fatwu I would say he is just as good as Knockaert I think he was over rated tbh, I would have Dyer ahead of him though at this moment.

Nididi or KDH could have done the job King done I think not much difference between them.

Konchesky and Justin are probably about the same as well.

Agree about Mads

Probably 13/14

However I think it does help that it came after Nige had already been in charge for nearly 2 full seasons before that season and it was already a very settled squad

Just out of curiousity, after 17 games:

image.png.c5a348837b5a00bffd58d5f9066908d7.png

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Probably 13/14

However I think it does help that it came after Nige had already been in charge for nearly 2 full seasons before that season and it was already a very settled squad

Just out of curiousity, after 17 games:

image.png.c5a348837b5a00bffd58d5f9066908d7.png

Yes this is a good point. Most of the team that started 13/14 played in the very inconsistent and often quite crap 12/13 team. I think Moore was the only real change from May to August 2013, along with Vardy obviously getting more of a run in the team and Mahrez joining half way through. 

Compare that to the current team where 6/11 who faced Coventry were basically new additions, and yet who are already outpacing the 13/14 team, and I think people are being a bit harsh. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CountesthorpeFox1 said:

I’m going to disagree with most. I think today’s team wins that game. 

For starters, them players were not the players we are remembering them as in regards to Vardy & Mahrez, but that’s  not why i’m saying today’s team wins. I think today’s team wins more on a reflection on how the much the game has changed in a decade. How the tactics we used then are now dated unfortunately. 

As somebody previously posted, if you’re asking what i’d rather watch it would be 13/14 every single day of the week. 

Pretty much how football has gone - the standard is probably higher but the games are probably duller, if that's possible.

8 minutes ago, bovril said:

Yes this is a good point. Most of the team that started 13/14 played in the very inconsistent and often quite crap 12/13 team. I think Moore was the only real change from May to August 2013, along with Vardy obviously getting more of a run in the team and Mahrez joining half way through. 

Compare that to the current team where 6/11 who faced Coventry were basically new additions, and yet who are already outpacing the 13/14 team, and I think people are being a bit harsh. 

This got me thinking actually - 6 (over half!) the team that lost abysmally 0-1 to Millwall in spring 2013 played in the title winning season. That's not counting Vardy, who was an unused sub, and one H. Kane who came on instead of him. Crazy. 

35 minutes ago, bovril said:

Schmichel, Morgan, Konchesky, Drinkwater, King, Nugent were all regular starters in the back end of the 11/12 season too

Big Nige built that team in 2 seasons

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

Pretty much how football has gone - the standard is probably higher but the games are probably duller, if that's possible.

exactly this.

It’s the same argument as Maradona vs Messi/Ronaldo. I’m not old enough to have seen Maradona but i’m of the belief he wouldn’t have been close to these two in terms of numbers in the modern game. I bet anybody who was old enough to watch him live would argue he was better due to the entertainment value he gave them as that was probably higher. 

In the same way if there is a striker for leicester that my grandkids bang on about after his 300th leicester goal i’ll probably mutter something like ‘He’s no Jamie Vardy’ 

Edited by CountesthorpeFox1

I think a fair few people are misty eyed about that 13/14 team because many of those players went on to win the league, but I seem to remember many people at the time saying that the likes of Vardy, Mahrez and Morgan wouldn't be good enough for the EPL. Some might have even been saying, "told you so" halfway through the 14/15 season. Matty James was also a huge part of the 13/14 team

Vardy wasn't top scorer (16) it was Nugent (20) and Mahrez got less goals than Dyer, Drinkwater and King.

It wasn't until 2015/16 that Mahrez and Vardy really shone playing in a quite different team, in a quite different style.

So those players, as they were in 2013/14, were very good, possibly our best team in the 2nd tier.

Until now.

This team is much better technically, both in individual ability and team cohesiveness. Part of that is because of how football has developed in the past 10 years. Also I think that, and it's early days I know (also I'm putting a suit of armour on before I say this), but Maresca is a better manager than Pearson.

(Runs for cover, clanking)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ithuriel said:

That 13/14 team tore the league up and was exciting to watch, also with a little tweaking it was essentially the team that kept us up 14/15.

The current team may get us up. still nothing guaranteed especially with our strikers but if we do go back up, money is really going to be needed to be spent.

The 13/14 team only really came good around Christmas onwards. After the Doncaster loss, the key game for me was QPR (Nugent / Squirrel day) away when Vardy scored a very good goal in the 1-0 win.

We had just lost a couple away on the bounce from memory. If we had got turned over that day against a title contender the season may have panned out differently. One of my favourite away games that season, although Bolton was emotional with Dyer’s winner. 

Let’s see what the the current team does after Christmas. They should have got the hang of the system by then and start putting away the many chances we are making. 

Mahrez was not yet the player he shown a year later

Knokky was in favour from the terraces..

Drinkwater was taking hits from fans..

De Laet not yet trusted..

Konch..love /.hate equivilant to marmite discussion

Vardy fighting off doubters

Wasi & Morgan considered walking red…

Not my thoughts,but what was coming from the forum itself..!!

• Like 3

If we are talking about sending the 13/14 team in a time machine to put them in a game against the current squad, I would tend to give the advantage to the more recent team based on the evolution of tactics alone. 

Playing out of the back, counter pressing, inverted fullbacks, box midfields. This team would probably cut through the 13/14 team for 2-3 goals before they knew what hit them. 

Current championship teams are familiar with the concepts and have drilled how to stop teams like Leicester. The team from 13/14 would have very little experience playing against a team like 23/24.

• Like 1