Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ronnup

10 year gap, who wins ?

13/14, no contest. We may be top now, but something just doesn't look right.

Defence is just as good now as it was then, but offensively, its like they're all running in a pitchload of treacle. Least in 13/14, we had wingers that were consistent and scaring the daylights out of the opposition. Mavididi is struggling to create those opportunities that the likes of Dyer, Mahrez and Knockaert could produce.

Other than Southampton, we haven't made a statement win, or look like we have reached top gear. And this team goes straight back down if it goes up, without significant investment of course.

10 hours ago, Bezzanator89 said:

13/14, no contest. We may be top now, but something just doesn't look right.

Defence is just as good now as it was then, but offensively, its like they're all running in a pitchload of treacle. Least in 13/14, we had wingers that were consistent and scaring the daylights out of the opposition. Mavididi is struggling to create those opportunities that the likes of Dyer, Mahrez and Knockaert could produce.

Other than Southampton, we haven't made a statement win, or look like we have reached top gear. And this team goes straight back down if it goes up, without significant investment of course.

We're scoring more goals per game in the league this season than 13/14. Only slightly admittedly. 

Just to stoke the fire... 

At 70,like I was at 20s of age, I don't believe, one era was or is better, just different facing up to different challenges to the times they lived. 

Not forgetting interpretation of referering and various changes in gameplay laws. 

OH obviously also not forgetting the spread of fans & media opinions.. & how individuals like me, advance in interest & disinterest over those years. 

When instructing or has docent in my job.. I ALWAYS SAID, " My age and experience plus actual yrs in the job, does not mean a 20 yr old can't see or come up with better improved solutions.. Never take or give anything for granted we evolve by questioning even the obvious, but don't deny those years of experience" 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

If we are talking about sending the 13/14 team in a time machine to put them in a game against the current squad, I would tend to give the advantage to the more recent team based on the evolution of tactics alone. 

Playing out of the back, counter pressing, inverted fullbacks, box midfields. This team would probably cut through the 13/14 team for 2-3 goals before they knew what hit them. 

Current championship teams are familiar with the concepts and have drilled how to stop teams like Leicester. The team from 13/14 would have very little experience playing against a team like 23/24.

Yeh but the 13/14 team would have have a massive piece of luck…

the 23/24 Nacho to play against….

Apart from Watford I can't remember many statement wins from the 13/14 side until January. We were winning lots of games 2-1 thanks to Nugent penalties. That team has the benefit both of following a decade of mediocrity and also of being associated with glory years afterwards. But this time ten years ago I don't remember foxestalk being that awash with optimism either about promotion or staying in the premier League afterwards

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, bovril said:

Apart from Watford I can't remember many statement wins from the 13/14 side until January. We were winning lots of games 2-1 thanks to Nugent penalties. That team has the benefit both of following a decade of mediocrity and also of being associated with glory years afterwards. But this time ten years ago I don't remember foxestalk being that awash with optimism either about promotion or staying in the premier League afterwards

13/14 didn't hit their stride until QPR away just before Christmas 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

13/14 didn't hit their stride until QPR away just before Christmas 

For sure were were brilliant in the 2nd half of the season. The demolition of Derby was as good as I've ever seen from a second tier Leicester side. I just think people are being pretty harsh on the current team who have managed to establish a ten point lead over 3rd place by December, despite the shambles of last season and the summer's upheavals. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bovril said:

We won 2-1 basically every game. Turned it into 3-0 wins later season. That was my overriding memory of it.

So many comebacks and late goals though. It was a very fun side.

2 hours ago, bovril said:

Interestingly this time in the 13/14 we were just about to lose to Brighton and Sheffield Wednesday, dropping us out of the top 2. This was shortly after losing at home to Forest. 

That Forest game was a massive smash and grab

Wound me up massively at the time 

• 5 months later...
Posted (edited)

the answer is easily 13/14 but even looking past the fact that the team was special, we were at our best counter attacking. They would sit back and invite the current crop to attack and then rip through them on the break. It would probably end up 3/4 -0 

prime vardy vs vestergarde and faes? deary me 

Edited by Lambert09

On 25/11/2023 at 22:06, ronnup said:

Who wins, this team at that point or the current one ?

FB_IMG_1700949896075.jpg

Easily the 13-14. Much stronger mentality and more reliable. Not a dig at this bunch as they've done well but don't think it's much of a contest. Vardy and Nugent would've ran rings around Faes and Vestegaard 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

Going to be controversial, but I think I’d take Mads over Kasper! 

Ooooft that's a bold statement. Can't say I agree yet. Mads has better distribution and command of his box (especially from crosses) but Kasper was a mentality monster and a better shot stopper imo 

I sincerely hope Mads goes on to achieve as much as Kasper did with us. He's a great keeper and think he'll make the step up 

Edited by foxfanazer