Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Kelechi Iheanacho - Aston Villa

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2023/12/20/aston-villa-set-to-make-january-move-to-sign-man-city-flop-striker/

Villa set to make January move to sign Man City flop striker

Unai Emery’s side could make a move for former Manchester City star Kelechi Iheanacho in the coming window.

Aston Villa have shocked everybody with their impressive form this season as they currently sit in third spot, just two points off Arsenal in front.

A main reason for their success is their ruthless attack which was strengthened by the addition of Moussa Diaby last summer.

With Leon Bailey and Diaby rotating out wide, Emery has good options to choose from but lacks this in the striking department.

Although Ollie Watkins has been incredible so far, an injury to the English striker could be detrimental to both their domestic and European ambitions.

A new striker is therefore a priority signing for the former Arsenal manager with Leicester City’s Iheanacho emerging as a top target according to Football Insider.

The Nigerian forward’s contract at the King Power Stadium runs out next year and could move for a bargain deal if the Championship club agree to let him go.

Leicester City are currently three points clear at the top of the league and will have ambitions of securing automatic promotion to the Premier League

He'll go if offered, as he'll be think a chance of champions league football next season and worse europa league. I'm very surprised though Villa would even consider, due to the fact he doesn't exactly start every week for us. It's clear he'd be signed for back up to Watkins as there's no way he'd ever start ahead of him. If the money was right, take it. It sounds like Villa can't buy big due to FFP, so having to look at cheaper options. 

33 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I'd be well up for this. Unfortunately I'm not sure Kelechi or Villa would be.

I think they need a striker that could fill in if Watkins gets an injury because if that happens then they're ****ed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

As an aside, Kel and the club should have a good idea by now whether or not he's intending to extend his contract.

If he's set on leaving and both Daka and Enzo are happy for Daka to remain in and around the first time for the rest of the season then I see no reason not cash in on Iheanacho for whatever cash we can get in January, quite frankly. It just doesn't make sense to run out his contract given he's not established himself as critical to our promotion push. Vardy and Daka have offered the same if not better.

Agree completely.

The only reason why not. i think, is that i feel we would need a replacement. Do we want to spend money to get one in? is it cheaper to let him run down his contract than it would be to pay a transfer fee needed to secure a 4-5 year deal? would we be able to get a quality loan in who could be a starter if needed?

36 minutes ago, MPH said:

Agree completely.

The only reason why not. i think, is that i feel we would need a replacement. Do we want to spend money to get one in? is it cheaper to let him run down his contract than it would be to pay a transfer fee needed to secure a 4-5 year deal? would we be able to get a quality loan in who could be a starter if needed?

Like I said, the condition is "if" Daka is staying in the squad. Daka is the replacement, really, isn't he? He hasn't featured until now when Kel has been injured and we've been fine with one or the other. Plus there's Cannon. We don't need four strikers for one position even if Cannon is still an unknown.

Obviously if the club still intends to try and sell Daka in January and Daka is still pushing for a move then we'd either have to buy a replacement (which I just can't see happening), have an ideal loan lined up (still a bit risky) or just have to rely on Cannon and Vardy for the duration. So I think we'd keep Kel.

11 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Like I said, the condition is "if" Daka is staying in the squad. Daka is the replacement, really, isn't he? He hasn't featured until now when Kel has been injured and we've been fine with one or the other. Plus there's Cannon. We don't need four strikers for one position even if Cannon is still an unknown.

Obviously if the club still intends to try and sell Daka in January and Daka is still pushing for a move then we'd either have to buy a replacement (which I just can't see happening), have an ideal loan lined up (still a bit risky) or just have to rely on Cannon and Vardy for the duration. So I think we'd keep Kel.

my only concern would be if Daka gets injured.  Law of averages  is that one of the remaining 3 strikers we have should Nacho leave will probably have an injury that keeps them out for 2-3 weeks minimum between now and the end of the season. Has Vardy got it in him to do the full 90 for a 3-4 game stretch? Cannon seems to only be trusted to get 10-15 minutes max at the moment, let alone starting a couple of games.

Edited by MPH

9 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Whoever stays needs to be given a proper go, playing the majority of the games.

For me, Daka was brought as the heir to Vardy, but we were never brave enough to make him the main man whilst Vardy was around. Daka has suffered as a result as has Nacho, knowing a few bad games and you are dropped.

I think it comes down to whether Enzo fancies Daka long term; and as you've said, does Daka want to be here? 

We can't afford to keep 4, as you rightly point out. 

8 minutes ago, MPH said:

my only concern would be if Daka gets injured.  Law of averages  is that one of the remaining 3 strikers we have should Nacho leave will probably have an injury that keeps them out for 2-3 weeks minimum between now and the end of the season. Has Vardy got it in him to do the full 90 for a 3-4 game stretch? Cannon seems to only be trusted to get 10-15 minutes max at the moment, let alone starting a couple of games.

Cannon has pedigree in the Championship, and I don't think it trusts; Enzo seems to be very switched on to player welfare.

I think he is easing him in after what was a serious setback; he can't risk breaking him with AFCON around the corner, leaving us with one fit striker. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Cannon has pedigree in the Championship, and I don't think it trusts; Enzo seems to be very switched on to player welfare.

I think he is easing him in after what was a serious setback; he can't risk breaking him with AFCON around the corner, leaving us with one fit striker. 

this is definitely a consideration as to why we would need another striker, imo. It would be a risk not to, I think.

13 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

does Daka want to be here? 

He's definitely said all the right things and the way he's played over the last couple of games looks a lot to me like I'd imagine Enzo wants.

But we'll see as soon as the window opens if all the talk was rubbish and he bolts straight for the exit won't we.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I think it'd be a great move for Villa. 

Possibly a silly one for Iheanacho, though. He'd struggle to be first choice there.

Same position as he is here then.

I'm not as disappointed as i thought i would be with the idea of Nacho leaving. There was a time I'd have wanted us to do anything to convince him to stay. There's been too many times this season however that he's appeared disinterested and unmotivated. This is a discussion board so we can share our thoughts, etc., so i wonder if he's been promised a January move or if his head has been turned? or if he just flat out doesn't want to be here. Hes a good player and gets goals/assists... he just.. seems to be unhappy often.

• Like 1