Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Kelechi Iheanacho - Aston Villa

We have two or three players for every position.   Except cf, we have 4, and central midharrywinks, we have 1.   I don't think anyway replaces Winks adequately at the moment.   

As we have four strikers and Iheanacho is arguably fourth choice, we should let him go.   Some would say he's arguably first choice but I'd argue with them.   If we can get a few million for him, imo it would be good business.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

I would say there probably is but I'm not one of these people that is obsessed with goals/assists per minute so I'm not going to compare with all PL strikers that have played in the same period.

We have generally been a top 6 team during Iheanacho's time here and his career here will always leave me wanting more from him, given the price we paid for him and his reputation upon his arrival.

I mean you don’t have to be obsessed with contributions per minute to realise that a striker playing 90 minutes or even 70 or 80 should be getting a lot more than one coming on for the last 10/20. 

And I wouldn’t say generally top 6. Been here about 6 years hasn’t he and we finished 5th in two of them.

4 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

I mean you don’t have to be obsessed with contributions per minute to realise that a striker playing 90 minutes or even 70 or 80 should be getting a lot more than one coming on for the last 10/20. 

And I wouldn’t say generally top 6. Been here about 6 years hasn’t he and we finished 5th in two of them.

Maybe my choice of wording was wrong but it depends on the team and players in the team too, and my point was we had quality then (Tielemens, Maddison). He wasn't come off the bench for a team in a relegation battle all the time, we had two of those seasons as a top 6 team, four as a top ten team, and only one season from those he scored more than 5 goals. It's not great, niether is the 1 goal in 30 he managed in 18/19 and you're not telling me that's because he only played 20 minutes per game. In that season he started 9 games... In 20/21 he started 16 games I think I read.

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Maybe my choice of wording was wrong but it depends on the team and players in the team too, and my point was we had quality then (Tielemens, Maddison). He wasn't come off the bench for a team in a relegation battle all the time, we had two of those seasons as a top 6 team, four as a top ten team, and only one season from those he scored more than 5 goals. It's not great, niether is the 1 goal in 30 he managed in 18/19 and you're not telling me that's because he only played 20 minutes per game. In that season he started 9 games... In 20/21 he started 16 games I think I read.

I meant to round off my original reply to you by saying I agree about wanting more. I did think this season he’d storm it but it hasn’t happened and we now have Cannon, Daka and Vardy ahead of him, it doesn’t look great for him.

His league record hasn’t been great for the most part compared to his cup record that has been very good and pulled us through on a regular basis. 

I think often things either have to be great or terrible on this forum (not saying you). Realistically, he’s not been great but not crap. We’ve had some good memories with him and his record does look worse than it is due to not being a regular start but should still be better.

Probably one where had the fee been say £15mill not £25mill, it may have been justified by his contributions more.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Has Duran been given a fair crack of the whip there? I think they are being premature in lining up a chauffeur to take him to his next club, but I suppose that’s for another thread 

Probably not but so many clubs playing with one up top these days means anyone with 3 strikers on their books will struggle to give them all game time. In any case it looks like an extended stay at the AFCON means Nacho is here til the summer.

49 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Is it just me who thinks that he hasn't been pulling his weight for a while now?

Let’s just say that he’d have to be about 3 stone for his performances to be acceptable 

44 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

No, its not just you. @Dahnsouff!!! Do you want to first or shall I?

Don’t you get me started, don’t you dare…..the useless…….. @#%£&

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, LCFCJohn said:

I meant to round off my original reply to you by saying I agree about wanting more. I did think this season he’d storm it but it hasn’t happened and we now have Cannon, Daka and Vardy ahead of him, it doesn’t look great for him.

His league record hasn’t been great for the most part compared to his cup record that has been very good and pulled us through on a regular basis. 

I think often things either have to be great or terrible on this forum (not saying you). Realistically, he’s not been great but not crap. We’ve had some good memories with him and his record does look worse than it is due to not being a regular start but should still be better.

Probably one where had the fee been say £15mill not £25mill, it may have been justified by his contributions more.

Agreed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he has been rubbish for us because I don't believe that. I just always want more from him and I think that's how I'll look back at his time here. Obviously his goals in our FA Cup run and in the Community Shield Final will always stick with me. But now I think it's time we parted ways and he moves on. Even if he was to stay I still think we'll need another striker when we get promoted.

I think you're right that the fee hasn't helped him and if it was £10m less then I probably don't post the way I do about him.

It's funny, at the start of the season, he was the one player that I really didn't want to lose...

Now? I'm very eager to see him go. 6 months on his contract, arguably 4th choice striker and would alleviate some of our reported financial worries. 

It's weirder when you consider that of all our strikers, he's the one that on paper fits what Enzo wants from our striker the most but it's just not worked out that way. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

take a loan, he’s not needed so we might as well get his wages off the books 

A loan is the best that we can hope for & I really don't see that happening anyway. The club had to sell him at the 12 month mark of his contract for whatever they could get.

Letting players enter the last 12 months of their contract is just bad business & we don't seem to have learned that yet.

Before the season started I’d got Nacho nailed in for 25+ goals this season and bags of confidence for next year.

Obviously the lack of impact has been quite shocking. What shocks me more though is that nobody has come in for him this January. Unless we just haven’t heard?  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

Before the season started I’d got Nacho nailed in for 25+ goals this season and bags of confidence for next year.

Obviously the lack of impact has been quite shocking. What shocks me more though is that nobody has come in for him this January. Unless we just haven’t heard?  

If you’re shocked by the lack of impact, how are you then shocked by the lack of interest? 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

25+ was never happening, those numbers are very rare, plus he's never been a prolific goalscorer. I didn't think any of our strikers would even managed 20.

Tony got 30 in 20/21 and he was the first player to do it since Murray in 12/13.

6 minutes ago, AjcW said:

If you’re shocked by the lack of impact, how are you then shocked by the lack of interest? 

Fair point. My rationale was that he is definitely capable given a run in the side, he showed that for the FA cup run. 

All clubs are looking for that bargain player that just needs a change of scenery to find some form. I can’t think of a better punt than Nacho for that

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

25+ was never happening, those numbers are very rare, plus he's never been a prolific goalscorer. I didn't think any of our strikers would even managed 20.

Tony got 30 in 20/21 and he was the first player to do it since Murray in 12/13.

Yep, that’s how valuable I thought he was to us going into the summer. I was wrong, and as you’ve pointed out, very wrong!