Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Kelechi Iheanacho - Aston Villa

8 minutes ago, MPH said:

this is definitely a consideration as to why we would need another striker, imo. It would be a risk not to, I think.

If we buy a striker, it will be in the summer in my opinion. 

I think another 8 will be the priorities for this window, followed by an LCB if we decide to spend.

The number 8 position is central to the Enzo system. We currently only have 2 up to the job, KDH and Ndidi at the moment as Akgun and Praet are struggling with niggly injuries and Casadei for form. Akgun is likely going to be needed to cover the wide positions if Fatawu is called up to AFCON.  

Nigeria could go deep into AFCON, meaning Ndidi is missing all of January and the first week of February, an injury to KDH, and we are in big trouble. 

I also think Enzo would use an 8 as a false 9 like his mentor Pep if required. 

We have to buy an LCB in this window or the next to play this season and have been like to a number of players. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AKCJ said:

I think they need a striker that could fill in if Watkins gets an injury because if that happens then they're ****ed.

I hope so! On paper it makes sense for all parties. I guess Kel is 27 now and not shown any desire to be a starter so he actually probably doesn't mind spending his prime years behind Oli Watkins.

Youri actually looked fit and mobile against Man City, so maybe Emery is the man to get Nacho going.

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

If we buy a striker, it will be in the summer in my opinion. 

I think another 8 will be the priorities for this window, followed by an LCB if we decide to spend.

The number 8 position is central to the Enzo system. We currently only have 2 up to the job, KDH and Ndidi at the moment as Akgun and Praet are struggling with niggly injuries and Casadei for form. Akgun is likely going to be needed to cover the wide positions if Fatawu is called up to AFCON.  

Nigeria could go deep into AFCON, meaning Ndidi is missing all of January and the first week of February, an injury to KDH, and we are in big trouble. 

I also think Enzo would use an 8 as a false 9 like his mentor Pep if required. 

We have to buy an LCB in this window or the next to play this season and have been like to a number of players. 

fair points! 

15 hours ago, MPH said:

this is definitely a consideration as to why we would need another striker, imo. It would be a risk not to, I think.

Am i the only one that wouldn’t be too concerned. I think with the way we play, if we ended up playing Yunus, Mcateer or even Casadei as a false 9, we’d be fine for a period. 

Wouldn’t get away with it in the prem, but there’s no reason they couldn’t fill the role we are currently using the striker for. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, brookfox said:

What would people expect the fee to be? £10m? Or probably Undisclosed!

With only a few months left on his contact I’d imagine about £5m. Which isn’t ideal, but we could potentially reinvest in a player that’ll be here for a longer-term so would make sense, especially with the re-emergence of Patson.

12 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

Getting his wage off the books asap has to be a good thing, given the contribution he offers us in return. 

Assuming he's on something like £65-80k a week, it would 'only' mean £1-1,3m saved. It's maybe not even worth it as such?

17 minutes ago, shen said:

Assuming he's on something like £65-80k a week, it would 'only' mean £1-1,3m saved. It's maybe not even worth it as such?

Well, if we get £5 mill for him and and get £1 million off the wage bill, you have to consider that Mavadidi cost at about £6.5 mil and Mads cost us £6m.  Sadly, there isn't much monetary value wrapped up in Nacho right now.

The cusp of the matter is if the club thinks that Nacho has £6 million more value worth to provide the team, or whether £6 mill can be invested elsewhere.  Doing nothing for the sake of it feels poor.

I wish someone would pay me £1million because its not worth getting rid of me :) 

• Like 2

Tbh if he went and we went into the second half of the season with Vardy, Daka and Cannon up front I’d be happy.

Out of every player he’s the one who has underperformed the most vs expectations. There’s been some good signing (Mads, Winks, Mavididi, Fatawu), some players have risen to the challenge (Vesty, Ndidi, McAteer) and some have underperformed, and of these Nacho has been the worst for me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kierzz said:

Can't see anyone paying a decent amount for a player who has six months left on his contract  and will be out at the AFCON. 

I presume Aston Villa have commenced talks for signing him in the summer.

I think they'll be looking to reinforce in January to strengthen their title challenge. There is definitely some logic in them going for Iheanacho, so it wouldn't surprise me if they do come in for him next month. As others have pointed out, whether the move ultimately occurs will likely come down to it works for us financially or not.

Edited by ClaphamFox

He has frustrated the life out of me this season he could and should be head and shoulders above this division and yet he has looked bang average and dare I say he has been lethargic and cumbersome. 

I would happily take £5m and if we could eke out a bit more than great, move on and allow Enzo and the recruitment team the opportunity to continue the rebuild. 

1 hour ago, MPH said:

well, it would suit us to get a new striker in who wants to be here  doesn't look so disinterested when he plays.. whos a bit more mobile  and has some pace...

I was think more along the line of us getting a fee which makes it worth it.