Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
An Away Move

Does our current Leicester team beat Nigel Pearson's Championship Winners?

Does our current Leicester team beat Nigel Pearson's Championship Winners?  

385 members have voted

1. 1. Does our current Leicester team beat Nigel Pearson's Championship Winners?

• Yes
    • No

How do the two teams match up? I loved our Championship winning team under Pearson. Probably my favourite season ever before we did the impossible. That team won the league in style and with flair. On paper I guess you'd have to say our current team is better. But which team would win if they played each other over two legs, say in the play off semis?

Edited by An Away Move

4 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

Pearson's Championship-winning side did, for the most part, go on to win the Premier League two years later. That makes it one of the best second tier-winning teams in history. We're doing well now, but don't get too carried away. Points totals are always relative to the league at the time.

Bit of a stretch a lot of the title winners got added after promotion off the top of my head:

Albrighton

Fuchs

Simpson

Huth

Kante

Shinji

Ullloa

• Like 4

This team would beat Pearson's team in a title race. 

The people saying this team would beat that team, the game has moved on, Fatawu vs Konchesky, etc. These people are a bit short sighted imo. Look at our games against Sunderland and Leeds. 

We're there to be got at by exactly the sort of team we were under Pearson. In the rock, paper, scissors game of football I think the Pearson side is well placed to press and smash this one on the counter. 

But this one is miles clear of Leeds because we're good against everyone else. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Bit of a stretch a lot of the title winners got added after promotion off the top of my head:

Albrighton

Fuchs

Simpson

Huth

Kante

Shinji

Ullloa

Well, yes. But Schmeichel, Morgan, Drinkwater, Vardy and Mahrez had a fairly significant role in that too. And of course De Laet, Schlupp and King picked up medals, with Wasilewski also a prominent squad member. This squad is a fair way off that sort of talent. In fact, very few 2nd tier sides in history have come close to that level of talent. If this side provides the backbone to one of the greatest ever top flight line-ups, as the 2013-14 side did, then we can speak about them in the same terms.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I think we’d beat Nige’s team but we’d probably struggle against the 1924/25 division two champions. Chandler’s movement would be too much for Yannick and I think Hugh Adcock would be better in that 8 role than Wilf.

And when you take into account their inverted inside left...

1 hour ago, inckley fox said:

Pearson's Championship-winning side did, for the most part, go on to win the Pror the most part, go on to win the Premier League two years later. That makes it one of the best second tier-winning teams in history. We're doing well now, but don't get too carried away. Points totals are always relative to the league at the time.

Only after adding Fuch, Simpson, Kante, Huth, Albrighton, Okazaki.

That's over 50% of the side changed, so not sure that's a fair comparison regarding the OP question.

1 hour ago, Bilo said:

Yes.

It's mad how much the game has come on in 10 years.

Fatawu against Konchesky would be watched through the gaps in your fingers. In fact, the 13-14 back four would get absolutely terrorised by Mavididi, Fatawu and Daka on full flight.

I suspect the current defence would have its own issues, but a then-inexperienced Vardy and Mahrez were not quite the world-class pairing they would become two years later. 

In midfield, I just don't see much of a context. Dean Hammond against Wilf? KDH and Winks up against Kingy?

I loved that 13-14 team more than you could believe, but I don't think they finish within 20 points of the current side.

Eh. I don't have a problem with preferring the current side but this post is clearly unfair.

Fatawu against Konchesky, if you want, but Konchesky was a consistent top half PL full-back for years who kept far, far better wingers than Fatawu at bay and was unquestionably a better player than Justin is, especially defensively (who is probably our weakest starter) and you can't really argue that without arguing the same thing for Dyer, Mahrez and Knockaert all against Justin imo.

Why are you comparing Ndidi to Dean Hammond as well? you're comparing a starter in one season to a player who was our 4th choice midfielder when we played a 2 man midfield, Drinkwater on the other hand completely ran and dominated that division and everything we did went through him, was miles ahead of any other player in the division that season when it came to passes iirc and was hands down the best player in the Championship that season and even better than Winks, KDH or Ndidi have been this season tbf.

Think Morgan, Vardy and Nugent were also all clearly superior to any players we have in their position now too. Wasilewski likely too, although that's debatable

I mean, you can say "the game has moved on" but Chris Wood was still a consistently good PL striker for Burnley who got into double figures in the level above this for 4 or 5 seasons straight until only a couple of seasons ago and he couldn't even get in that side because Vardy and Nugent were so good and kept him out.

Not saying that side was definitely better overall (don't think we can decide that until the end of the season) and don't have a problem with people preferring the current side but at least be fair in your comparisons.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Eh. I don't have a problem with preferring the current side but this post is clearly unfair.

Fatawu against Konchesky, sure, but Konchesky was definitely better than Justin is defensively (who is probably our weakest starter) and you can argue the same thing for Dyer, Mahrez and Knockaert all against Justin tbf.

Why are you comparing Ndidi to Dean Hammond as well? you're comparing a starter in one season to a player who was our 4th choice midfielder when we played a 2 man midfield, Drinkwater on the other hand completely ran and dominated that division and everything we did went through him, was miles ahead of any other player in the division that season when it came to passes iirc and was hands down the best player in the Championship that season and even better than Winks, KDH or Ndidi have been this season tbf.

Think Morgan, Vardy and Nugent were also all clearly superior to any players we have in their position now too. 

Don't have a problem with people preferring the current side but at least be fair in your comparisons.

Morgan could haul players down without giving away a foul too... yes the game has moved on.

2 hours ago, An Away Move said:

How do the two teams match up? I loved our Championship winning team under Pearson. Probably my favourite season ever before we did the impossible. That team won the league in style and with flair. On paper I guess you'd have to say our current team is better. But which team would win if they played each other over two legs, say in the play off semis?

Each leg played the rule set from a different era?

Individual ability - head and shoulders now. Full of internationals, experience of premier League, champions league and European leagues/games. 

We have premier league players.

Teamwork, ethic and attitude , no Pearson's was better as we achieved promotion on a heck of a smaller budget and worked wonders.

Edited by fox_favourite

8 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

Individual ability - head and shoulders. We have premier league players. Teamwork, ethic and attitude , no Pearson's was better as we achieved promotion on a heck of a smaller budget and worked wonders. 

You think Schmeichel, Konchesky, Morgan, Drinkwater, Mahrez, Schlupp, Vardy and even Wood who couldn't get into that side weren't "Premier League players"? Wtf? Even Nugent, King and Wasilewski did good jobs for us in the PL even if not spectacular. De Laet and James were also perfectly ok bottom half PL players too.

Personally, I this this side has more "very good" players across it's starting XI, but the best 4 or 5 players in the 14/15 side were better than the best 4 or 5 players in this side

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

At the time of our championship win - how many of those were premier league players and proven at that level prior to that season? Who actually played in the prem? That's my point. 

Obviously what came next proved that they 100% were, but at our promotion point, we didn't know that and they didn't have the experience at top level. 

Vardy at the time you wouldn't say he'll go on to be a premier league goal scoring machine, or that Mahrez would demand £60m+ fee etc...

Edited by fox_favourite