Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
An Away Move

Does our current Leicester team beat Nigel Pearson's Championship Winners?

Does our current Leicester team beat Nigel Pearson's Championship Winners?  

385 members have voted

1. 1. Does our current Leicester team beat Nigel Pearson's Championship Winners?

• Yes
    • No

16 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

At the time of our championship win - how many of those were premier league players and proven at that level prior to that season? Who actually played in the prem? That's my point. 

Obviously what came next proved that they 100% were, but at our promotion point, we didn't know that and they didn't have the experience at top level. 

Vardy at the time you wouldn't say he'll go on to be a premier league goal scoring machine, or that Mahrez would demand £60m+ fee etc...

I don't get your point though. Half of this lot just got relegated because they showed they weren't good enough at PL level (and we probably would've fared even worse last season without Maddison and Barnes being our only remotely threatening players, neither of whom are here anymore) and the only one we've signed who was actually a proven PL player was Winks and many mocked that signing when we made it because his reputation was on the floor. I mean Ndidi as an example has been great this season and was a great PL player 4 years ago but he'd been completely rotten at PL level for a good 2.5 seasons, let's be honest. You may as well count Kevin Phillips and Gary Taylor-Flectcher in the 13-14 side as "Premier League" players in that case.

Edited by Sampson

15 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I don't get your point though. Half of this lot just got relegated because they showed they weren't good enough at PL level (and we probably would've fared even worse last season without Maddison and Barnes being our only remotely threatening players, neither of whom are here anymore) and the only one we've signed who was actually a proven PL player was Winks and many mocked that signing when we made it because his reputation was on the floor. I mean Ndidi as an example has been great this season and was a great PL player 4 years ago but he'd been completely rotten at PL level for a good 2.5 seasons, let's be honest. You may as well count Kevin Phillips and Gary Taylor-Flectcher in the 13-14 side as "Premier League" players in that case.

2.5 seasons of bad form for Wilf is a bit harsh. The Ndidi-Tielemans double pivot was one of the best midfields in the PL in 20/21, we would not have won the FA cup without Ndidi's performance. It's more like 1.5 seasons of Wilf not being at his best and half a season of that was because of an injury.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

2.5 seasons of bad form for Wilf is a bit harsh. The Ndidi-Tielemans double pivot was one of the best midfields in the PL in 20/21, we would not have won the FA cup without Ndidi's performance. It's more like 1.5 seasons of Wilf not being at his best and half a season of that was because of an injury.

The other period was "Brendan ball"

42 minutes ago, Sampson said:

They were and are good enough at PL level.  The level of mismanagement last season is why we are where we currently are.  Rodgers threw everyone under the bus.  

To pull everything around in such a short amount of time and have us in such a commanding position takes top level managerial skills.  There's not a chance Rodgers, Smith or anyone else could have achieved it imo.  Enzo is top quality and he is currently making the difference as the players continue to buy into his methods.

• Like 1

Pearson side would absolutely mug us. Vesty playing as our deepest player 10 yards in front of half way line against Vardy, Dyer, Mahrez and Nugent

That side best champ side ever, had 3 world class players in it. We currently have none (not a slight we are a championship side). Would bet lot of money none of this side achieve anything close to Vardy, Mahrez and Kasper

Not slagging current side off but that team was special - really special 

Edited by eblair
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, eblair said:

Pearson side was absolutely mug us. Vesty playing as our deepest player 10 yards in front of half way line against Vardy, Dyer, Mahrez and Nugent

That side best champ side ever, had 3 world class players in it. We currently have none (not a slight we are a championship side). Would bet lot of money none of this side achieve anything close to Vardy, Mahrez and Kasper

Not slagging current side off but that team was special - really special 

I voted ‘yes’ but after reading this I’ve changed my mind. The standard of this league is so bad we spent pre season having fun, new manager, new players, new system and we’re still running away with it unopposed. We’re a decent team in a horrendous league most likely 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I understand why people ask this sort of question, but I'm always ragging my friends who love a Faustian Pact-type question - we'll never know and even if we did, what difference does it make?

Sorry - proper Grinch-style answer, I just want to enjoy now and not try to enhance/dismiss the past either.

Soooooo..... Nigel, right?

When I first got my season ticket i used to travel every week from Nottingham on my own and had everyone laugh at me because I used to spend all my Education Maintenance Allowance (£30 a week) on shit like Cardiff at home on a Tuesday night straight after college. My first season was under Sousa getting hammered every week until the Sven Circus.

That team that Nigel, Shakey, Steve Walsh and everyone else put together was the single most important one in our history. 

It's the reason I went from being laughed at for going matches on my own to being asked if I'm a glory supporter.

I think Nige's team wins.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

They were and are good enough at PL level.  The level of mismanagement last season is why we are where we currently are.  Rodgers threw everyone under the bus.  

To pull everything around in such a short amount of time and have us in such a commanding position takes top level managerial skills.  There's not a chance Rodgers, Smith or anyone else could have achieved it imo.  Enzo is top quality and he is currently making the difference as the players continue to buy into his methods.

All reads exactly like what people said of Burnley and Kompany last season though when they were running away with the league and on course to break the points record until they took their foot off the gas after already being promoted. I hope you’re right but way too soon to think we won’t be seriously up against it next season. Not convinced how anyone can already be confident enough to say the likes of Faes, Vestergaard, Justin, KDH, Ndidi, Daka etc. aren’t going to look just as lost at PL level next season assuming we got promoted as they did last season.

Edited by Sampson

At a guess, this team beats that team due to their tight coaching rather than strong mentality.

Also feels like football has moved on, even in this unbelievably short amount of time

:nigel:

6 hours ago, NeilLCFC said:

The fighting spirit Nigel’s team had is a huge reason I think that team beats this one.

That's hard thing to measure, this team has shown lots of fighing spirit, how may late winner has it scored from 80 minutes + 

Coventry 

Cardiff 

Rotherham (a)

QPR

WBA 

A good indication that this side has a good fighing spirit.