Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Berlinfox

How many points do we need to be mathematically certain of promotion

In addition to the which teams can't mathematically catch us thread , I thought it would be interesting to have a how many points needed to ensure promotion thread.

My calculation is that the current total points need is 110, which means 38 more.

Southampton (112) and Ipswich (110) could reach 110, but they have to play each other so they can't both do it.

So at this point from the remaining 16 games,  to be absolutely certain of promotion, the following is enough:

11 wins and 5 draws

12 wins 2 draws and 2 defeats

13 wins and 3 defeats

• Like 1

Mathematically speaking, the maximum points each team can get is:

Leicester 120

Southampton 112

Ipswich 110

Leeds 108

WBA 99

Hull 96

Sunderland 94 

Middlesborough 94 

Cov 92

Norwich 92

Cardiff 91

PNE 90

Watford 89

Plymouth 87

Bristol City 86

Blackburn 84

Birmingham 83

Millwall 81

Swansea 81

Stoke 80

Huddersfield 79

QPR 76

So mathematically speaking, 111points make certain of promotion. So 13 wins from our remaining games - If Southampton and Ipswich achieved maximum points from their games - as they still have to play each other 12 wins and 2 draws would make it certain.

4 hours ago, Spudulike said:

This from the other thread.... 

Leicester's match week 30 is complete.  Other clubs have one or two games in hand.

Current points rate is 2.40/match.  1.31 points/match required for the rest of the season (21 points from 16 matches).

We have a 12-point gap over third place (Leeds).

We have 77.4% of the required points for automatic promotion after 65.2% of the season.

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/133442-the-occasional-2023-24-math-thread/?do=findComment&comment=7232034

Where does the 93 points for automatic promotion come from? I would be fairly confident two of Leeds, Southampton and Ipswich will get past this points tally.

• Like 1

Just now, Aus Fox said:

Where does the 93 points for automatic promotion come from? I would be fairly confident two of Leeds, Southampton and Ipswich will get past this points tally.

It's the number of points required for automatic promotion in the last 19 Championship seasons. 

1 minute ago, Aus Fox said:

I think it’s the historical benchmark that has guaranteed automatic promotion? 🤷. Like you, I don’t think it will be enough this season as the league is so polarised. 

• Like 1

As was said before, 93 points has always got a team automatically promoted in the history of the Championship.

Of course, any particular year can be an outlier, and this one might be.

Good thing we have the potential to garner well more than 93 points, in case they are needed.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Syrup said:

Doubt we'll need it but our massive GD compared to the next best one (+41, next best is +26 for Leeds as it stands) is an additional safety net should it be needed.

If we had such catastrophic form that they match our points then this GD will have gone. 

if we lose 5 that they win then a minimum of -10 to GD, that’s assuming single GD games throughout which is unlikely 

• Thanks 1

I reckon our match against Birmingham will be our promotion confirmed game.

So if we get at least a minimum of 19 points from our next 9 games we are almost there. 

Edited by Happy Fox

We will get whatever points are needed to get top spot & promotion.

we will also beat both Leeds and Southampton. The players want to win emphatically. If they can they will try to avoid our closest challengers having bragging rights to have beaten us. Our players will have a point to prove you watch.

this team is getting better & better.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Mathematically speaking, the maximum points each team can get is:

Leicester 120

Southampton 112

Ipswich 110

Leeds 108

WBA 99

Hull 96

Sunderland 94 

Middlesborough 94 

Cov 92

Norwich 92

Cardiff 91

PNE 90

Watford 89

Plymouth 87

Bristol City 86

Blackburn 84

Birmingham 83

Millwall 81

Swansea 81

Stoke 80

Huddersfield 79

QPR 76

So mathematically speaking, 111points make certain of promotion. So 13 wins from our remaining games - If Southampton and Ipswich achieved maximum points from their games - as they still have to play each other 12 wins and 2 draws would make it certain.

Except if we get those 120 pts then that's 3 pts off the total of every team we play.

1 hour ago, Happy Fox said:

I reckon our match against Birmingham will be our promotion confirmed game.

So if we get at least a minimum of 19 points from our next 9 games we are almost there. 

Now THAT'S a Happy Fox! :D

10 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Weird how opinions differ, I’m fairly confident that Leeds and Ipswich will not hit 94 points, would mean they need to sit at 2+ PPG for the rest of the season. 

I think Southampton will probably get 94 though, just not the other two.