Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

Accounts 22/23

8 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Does anyone know how much money we need to bring in for player sales this Summer? 

Are we looking at a complete fire sale of any player worth over £10million, and relying on youth and loans for next season regardless of the league? 

Or is next season already a write off in terms of filling the black hole and we will just take another points deduction at some point?

If the last 3 seasons of losses amass to 215m 

that includes a Covid year ( losses 30m)

that will have rolled off so based on the last 2 prem seasons 

90 odd million each 

plus a season in the champ at the same rate (90m) would be 270m

allowed losses 3 year period 87m 

Edited by HankMarvin
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lionator said:

Might as well start a separate thread as it’s different to a points deduction issue. This is horrific and borderline criminal mismanagement. 

"Be careful what you wish for".

Top is objectively a worse owner than Mike Ashley.

4 minutes ago, Mr Weller 2 said:

Spectacular hypocrisy on here from people who appear to lack much understanding of business. Football isn’t a business in the normal sense-it’s a plaything for the super rich and Top is extremely rich.

To be ambitious in football you have to make a huge investment with no guarantee of an immediate return. It’s a long run plan and guess what, it needs to be judged over the long term ie not 2-3 seasons.

People who say it’s total mismanagement are totally misunderstanding what is happening.

So the accounts look in tip ‘top’ shape to you then?

5 minutes ago, Mr Weller 2 said:

Spectacular hypocrisy on here from people who appear to lack much understanding of business. Football isn’t a business in the normal sense-it’s a plaything for the super rich and Top is extremely rich.

To be ambitious in football you have to make a huge investment with no guarantee of an immediate return. It’s a long run plan and guess what, it needs to be judged over the long term ie not 2-3 seasons.

People who say it’s total mismanagement are totally misunderstanding what is happening.

Care to elaborate on how we're being so thick then?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mr Weller 2 said:

Also anyone who thinks we have sell a shed load of players in the summer fails to understand we’re being punished for previous accounting years so it would not make any difference.

The point is about future breaches. The formula used is over a 3 year rolling period, so unless we do something to address that we will be breaching this period and the next. I presume that part of the hearing will be how clubs plan to address the issue.

Just now, HankMarvin said:

If the last 3 seasons of losses amass to 215m 

that includes a Covid year (where losses 30m 

that will have rolled off so based on the last 2 prem seasons 

90 odd million each 

plus a season in the champ at the same rate (90m) would be 270m

allowed losses 3 year period 87m 

Meh, not so bad. :teehee:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HankMarvin said:

I think there will be something in place to stop teams repeatedly exploiting it, ie second offence treated with more severity.

I'm not sure they are that competent. Have Everton had the 2nd deduction yet? 

32 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

FFP and PSR are a sack of shit it needs scrapping. I hope a good lawyer ****s it over, its footballs only hope. Continue on this path and a dying game complete dies. 

We voted for it. 

Another slight hint that we are being ran by absolute ****wits. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

We voted for it. 

Another slight hint that we are being ran by absolute ****wits. 

We didn't actually vote for it, I'm surprised anyone voted for it. The whole thing is frankly broken though, it doesn't allow for nearly 10% inflation last year for example and 5/6% the year before. Yes the club has made errors but underlying costs in any business have grown a lot in the past few years. 

1 hour ago, KansasFox said:

Not excusing any of this mess, but I think the way the regulations currently are, any non big six team that had a few years in Europe and then was relegated would be in big trouble!

They have totally succeeded in make success a closed shop. Anyone else who has success, like us, will be punished for any attempt to maintain it.  Any attempt to compete will and in disaster with just one or two seasons of a downturn in performance. 

You just have to keep rebuilding teams as when you find a Maddison, Fofana, Maguire, Soyunchu when there value increases you just have to sell rather than offer inflated contracts, you may not hit the highs but the drop off also isn't as deep.

Just now, Foxin_Mad said:

We didn't actually vote for it, I'm surprised anyone voted for it. The whole thing is frankly broken though, it doesn't allow for nearly 10% inflation last year for example and 5/6% the year before. Yes the club has made errors but underlying costs in any business have grown a lot in the past few years. 

Come on man. 10% inflation hasn't seen our wage bill go up over 100% since we won the league. 

It's **** all to do with us having 116% of revenue being spent on wages. 

Oh and this reporting period isn't even the worst of the inflationary environment. 

Wait for next year's submission 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, inckley fox said:

Alternatively, they could keep recruiting in the way they have done for the past half decade or so, and accept that they'll have to develop those players and sell on their costliest talent. As they have done up to now. Why change? And why did we change?

It gets harder though right?

Any player Brighton sniff around now becomes interesting to other clubs by default.
Maybe thats why we changed? Or I think a bit of ego hit and we wanted to splash cash a bit more, for me that started with signings like Slimani straight after we won the league

6 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

And Castagne, but wouldn’t be suprised if he was a loss on his initial fee? 

For the books I think it might actually show as a profit? (not sure how it works honestly, @coolhandfox?)

Paid about £20m for him on a 5 year contract in 2020

We got about £12m for him from Fulham when he had 2 years left

17 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

With an embargo we’ll still be able to loan players and take free agents to ensure we have a 1st team squad of 24. We could sign Sensi for example as he would be a free agent. We can also re-sign players whose contracts are running out as long as the squad number of established players doesn’t rise above 24. The U21’s and specifically ballers like Alves, Braybrooke and Booth are too young to be classed as established players so aren’t part of that 24. The only one from the development squad that could be is Raikhy as he’s older than 21 but though he has played in competitive games for clubs at Championship level (LCFC) or higher (Villa) I don’t think he’s started the 5 games that would lock him in as an established player and I doubt we’ll see him start any more games this season. 

I'm not sure that is correct. As it stands we are not only unable to register any new players but we are also unable to offer new contracts to players out of contract during the period of the embargo and presumably unable to offer new terms to any existing player. I may have this wrong so please feel free to correct me.

There's no getting away from the fact that these results are truly awful and we deserve everything coming our way. 

Of course the final figures to be considered won't be quite so bad once we take off costs of women's team etc but to allow wages to increase to that level is simple madness.

To me it looks like promotion is absolutely essential. Yes we will end up with a negative points position to start the season but without the Premier League money I think we are truly stuffed for years to come.

Missing out will likely or possibly  mean a great many years in the doldrums of football. We'd likely not only get a points deduction but the transfer embargo would also be continued, probably for at least one full season and I can't see how we would meet the EFL financial criteria either in the short terms or medium term without off loading most of the first team squad.

If we had a decent youth team set up I'd feel more confident but we really don't seem to be able to produce that many top quality players that way hence having to buy more and more players.

The rebuild will be massive and without promotion I can see us being outside the top flight for at least a decade and maybe longer. There are examples of clubs taking 20+ years to get back to the top flight and falling well down the league ladder. I'm not confident that won't be us too. The next  few weeks are critical to the short and medium term future of the club.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have just seen the article in the Mercury website RE the accounts, and with what Whelan said about having 5th,5th and 8th in the previous seasons they budgeted for another good season, surely that makes the fact Rodgers wasn’t sacked in January/Feb when it was obvious what direction we were heading an absolute travesty and the most ultimate brain fart of them all

• Like 3