Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
boots60

Go on, admit you were wrong

3 hours ago, foxsake said:

Straight roads, aqueducts, medicine, irrigation but apart from that..

Don't forget sanitation. We need that more than ever,with the deep sh1t we're in!

When we dominate games he's the messiah, when we struggle the jury's out, when we lose he's just Rodgers with a sexier accent.

For me, when it clicks it IS great to watch. But my god, why can't we try other ways to crack a nut when it's clearly not working on the day?

What confuses me most is that we HAVE been able to mix it up to win games earlier in the season. The way we started against Liverpool in the Cup, or the breakaways we managed away at Birmingham and West Brom, were both peak counter attacking footy.

I'm not going to jump on this anti-Enzo bandwagon when the squad is clearly capable of much more than we've seen in the past month or two, but likewise I do have my worries regarding his naivety and inability to change it up where needed.

It's never simple being a Leicester fan. We're still top, somehow, and yet I'm sat here nervous that we're going to get shown up by bloody Plymouth tomorrow. lol

• Like 4

Its amazing how good this squad supposedly is this year...as if they should walk the league. Just because they're paid a fortune doesn't mean they're head and shoulders above the other teams. Far from it  

Edited by ronnup
  • Like 1

I know it prob won’t happen with the form. But can’t he still get the highest points we’ve even got and the 3rd highest point in the champ ever?

Edited by teblin

This is a great thread in that it’s a worthy conversation to be had about coaching in general and all the challenges that come with it. There is no perfect time so might as well be now. Enzo is a very single minded chap we’ve firmly established that. He’s a graduate of the pep school of football. So was Arteta (his 1st season for the arses not good also).

All things being equal we could have had a manager that has no identity and tries everything with little to no effect or results are inconsistent. We’d still likely complain.

Personally I don’t mind Enzo ball if it’s played to the max speed & intensity. It’s a system and style that is not very forgiving if ALL the players don’t contribute and perform. If players are tired (like now) it’s mentally stressful to play it knowing your not at your best and you will make mistakes and the team will suffer but you have no safety line. see Enzo’s threat to madds mistake!

i get Enzo has drilled the players into playing this way but given what’s at stake in these final games can he not throw some caution to the wind and use his subs more maybe practice a few different strategies. He does seem quite stunned when the opposition are unpredictable becoming paralyzed in the process. I know he’s learning but still the club could have insisted on maybe getting Walshy back as one of Enzo’s back room staff to provide some experience and support playing in the championship. It’s the nuances that Enzo doesn’t get and unable to adapt to. I hope for his sake and ours we get promotion and then ‘Que sera sera’.  History will look back on it as an interesting experiment. Many other coaches will also be disecting our season to see how they could emulate the positives but avoid the negatives of playing this style of football.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rugbyblue said:

Have you seen the film?   The worrying thing is ford won.  Came 1 2 and 3 😞

Yeah but that was only a film.. in real life Ferrari wins.. Or was that a dream 🤔

Any road up F40 over GT40 every day of the week.

As has been pointed out by many other people, we will probably yo-yo if we do manage to get up.

It's getting to the point where it becomes increasingly unlikely that any promoted team is able to stay up it seems to me.

Which is more acceptable l wonder staying in the Championship and winning - albeit in a dull and boring manner, or week after week of hammerings?

The bad news is we don't get to choose.

The worse news is we'll probably be treated to both unless our owners replace the present incumbent with a man who has a little imagination.

And to think how the prospect of Dyche got people lairy!

Not massively related to the title of this thread, but I do have visions of Rudkin inviting Enzo round for a couple of Co-Op Hawaiian pizzas and a bottle of full fat pop. 

cheers. 

On 10/04/2024 at 14:30, Matt said:

I'm just glad (Well i'm not glad, wish the style was abolished. It's nonsense) people have finally caught up with the criticisms of possession based football, seeing and calling it for what it is, nonsense. 

Welcome! But where have you all been?!

The irony being I think what we're currently seeing is actually better than the previous 7 years (That doesn't mean i'm advocating it) where only the minority seemed fed up and annoyed with it, it's currently not great and not good enough, far from it, but I can get behind it more than the rest of the nonsense we've seen in recent years.

I wouldn’t read too much into peoples comments… they’ve only come out against it because we are no longer 12+ points clear..

I think we do have to remember this is his first full season as a manager. He has definitely made mistakes along the way, my hope is he will go away at the end of the season analyse what went well, and what mistakes were made and learn from them.

This season it’s worth remembering, he inherited a team that had just been relegated, had zero confidence and a whole lot of fragility, 9 first team players had left or were no longer required from the season before. He wanted to completely change the way we played and approached games, had the distraction of off the field financial issues,  poor communication from those above him and has managed for a large part of the season to get a tune out of the players and has led the league all season.

I am not sure who is responsible for the transfer dealings, but on the face of it they have been very good. The turn around in players like Vestergaard has also been a positive.

Is he the finished article? No, far from it. Will he be a better manager for the experience this year? Absolutely.

If, he wins the league and gets us promoted, he should 100% be given the opportunity at the top level.

Finances, points deducted, transfer embargo’s and players retiring/ not renewing their contracts will ultimately decide what next season looks like. But for now, don’t be too hard on Enzo.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Winstonthedog said:

His previous taste of management didn't go well ... and the championship is like no other league on earth ... you need to have the ability to change and adapt game by game or during a game ... Enzo cannot or is not willing or able to do so ... being part of Peps backroom staff is not a guarantee of success ... but for me if we do get promoted I want the club to be able to hold their own and challenge .... at present I just can't see it if things remain the same 

Agree with all of this apart from ‘the championship is like no other league.’ It’s really not, it’s terrible quality. There’s a couple of stand out teams and the rest is turgid. Burnley won it without breaking sweat last season and they are a decent football team at best. 
That’s what’s making me more annoyed about our current situation, it’s such a poor standard league

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MPH said:

I wouldn’t read too much into peoples comments… they’ve only come out against it because we are no longer 12+ points clear..

Plenty came out against it when we were 12 points clear.

I'd probably take more notice of them than the ''I'll stick to the popular opinion" brigade.

Edited by adejo92

6 hours ago, MPH said:

I get opinions change like the wind and there is context but there hasn't been this much criticism of style for the previous 7 years under Puel or Rodgers not so unanimously, i'm seeing people who were fully behind it, supported and embraced it now questioning and slagging it off.

I do think people are waking up and seeing it for what it is.

As I said, personally, this is the best version of it that we've seen compared to what we saw under Puel or Rodgers, that still doesn't mean i'm an advocate of it in any way though.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

I get opinions change like the wind and there is context but there hasn't been this much criticism of style for the previous 7 years under Puel or Rodgers not so unanimously, i'm seeing people who were fully behind it, supported and embraced it now questioning and slagging it off.

As I said, personally, this is the best version of it that we've seen compared to what we saw under Puel or Rodgers, that still doesn't mean i'm an advocate of it in any way though.

I certainly hope so.

And the fact previous lovers of EnzoBall, some who venomously defended it are now changing their opinion must count for something.

However we can have a mass shift over to "Anti-Enzoball" here on the forum as much as we like, but we don't make the real decisions that actually change stuff, that still lies with the club.

The only way things might charge is if it becomes toxic in the stands ( NO I'M NOT CALLING FOR lT, OR WANTING THAT AT ALL - sorry for shouting) questioning the playing style and "the idea" for all to hear.  

Do I think Enzo would walk after hearing it, no, I think his 'I'll leave the next day' quote was just arrogant bluster.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, adejo92 said:

Plenty came out against it when we were 12 points clear.

I'd probably take more notice of them than the ''I'll stick to the popular opinion" brigade.

‘ plenty’ is a complete exaggeration.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a structure (call it Enzo ball). It breeds familiarity, understanding and consistency. But a structure is a foundation. One to be adapted, built upon, tweaked as the situation dictates. To stick wholly to a system. Even when it isn't working is naive at best and stupid at worst. As others have said. The talent in the squad affords options in tactics, style etc. If our manager is unable to maximise those resources. Then that is a pretty damning indictment on his own limitations. Just let them play what they see Enzo!!!

• Like 1

Guest leatherhead32

i was wrong. did like this style of play but its been overdone . still appreciate enzo and like the guy tbh. i tell people who dont go but like to be heard i love him and the way we play as i cant talk football with them kind hence me joining fox forum to chew the fat with you people. think wel go up but as for the style i was wrong

5 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Agree with all of this apart from ‘the championship is like no other league.’ It’s really not, it’s terrible quality. There’s a couple of stand out teams and the rest is turgid. Burnley won it without breaking sweat last season and they are a decent football team at best. 
That’s what’s making me more annoyed about our current situation, it’s such a poor standard league

No they didn't. Burnley didn't have Leeds, Ipswich or Saints anywhere near them. And had we not got Leeds and the phenomenon that is Ipswich right now, we'd be well clear of most other clubs. Everyone says it, this will be the first season where potentially 3 clubs have +100pts and that's a massive factor in opinions. It used to be tight with play off clubs being all on 75 or 76pts but the top 3 are hitting new levels. To say they're a decent football team is wrong too. You can't look at their form this season and believe that.

The Championship IS turgid. Everyone from about 5th down. Even Leeds aren't THAT great. But that's the best/worst thing about it. Teams drag you down to their level. Look at Boro's last 6 games Vs Rotherham, 1 win. Yet people would have Carrick here in a heartbeat.

Edited by iancognito
stat correction

5 hours ago, Matt said:

I do feel like he was led to believe there was more money available and he'd be able to get more players in.

I think if he got the backing Rodgers got in the transfer market and we still  got turgid football, that's when i'd criticize him...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Matt said:

As I said, personally, this is the best version of it that we've seen compared to what we saw under Puel or Rodgers

That's revisionism in the extreme. Rodgers we had a team playing football for the opening 20 games one season that was off the charts. That Palace away game. Villa away. The total domination of Man U in the quarter final. I won't list them all. Even Man City away in the Komkany game. Rodgers had a golden period for us that horribly fell away. 

Puel was also capable of excellent performances. Particularly against the big teams. And for all his faults, we were never ever in relegation trouble. 

Enzo isn't near either of them,.in terms of CV nor performance. 

• Like 2

I do think that we over elaborate the way we play. It is very samey and can't seem to ever change it up. The amount of times Faes just puts his foot on the ball and waits before passing. There's no doubt teams have sussed out how we play. If we get promoted am really worried how we will do. Previously always had that ball over the top for Vardy but now that's not an option.