Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lnkstern

West Brom (H) 2-1 Post-Match Thread

1 hour ago, FrankieADZ said:

if you look, its the one before Hamza heads it off the line, clearly hits the WBA players arm

1 hour ago, LCFCJohn said:

Yeah as I thought. Thats why I’m surprised it hasn’t been mentioned! I saw it at the time so was just checking you were referring to the same incident.

A goal would've been given though as the ref didn't spot it. 

4 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

A goal would've been given though as the ref didn't spot it. 

Oh definitely, it was clear the ref played on.

I was more just surprised that even our fans didn’t seem to comment on it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Hermansen 

Ricardo

Coady

Vestegaard

Justin

Winks

Praet

KDH

Fatawu

Cannon

Mavididi

Like that, but Cannon won't get a look in and Faes won't be dropped, nor Ndidi. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Like that, but Cannon won't get a look in and Faes won't be dropped, nor Ndidi. 

You’re probably right. But I don’t see it as ‘dropping’ anyone, just necessary rotation. Ricardo, for example, was IMO always due to play just one of these two home games.

Ndidi needs nursing through these last three games and I see him starting the other two and coming on in this one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leeds Fox said:

Yeah just the look towards your mates after they concede is priceless.

No I get you, usually it’s a case of, we’ve gone for a few pints and someone has a ticket so I’ll just end up going down. 

Brilliant experience, felt like the whole stadium was looking at you but in reality, nobody even knew you were there. Atmosphere used to be electric with Stings for Yasmin playing. 

I absolutely hate Leeds by the way lol

Anyway… what a result yesterday. 1 step closer! 

Completely get what you mean. Indeed one step closer. Hopefully we get the result we need tomorrow and then hopefully finish the job ourselves on Tuesday. 

• Like 1

On 20/04/2024 at 17:25, RumbleFox said:

Dominate and win: Everybody moans.

Dominate and lose: People literally foam at the mouth.

Play shit and lose: The world has ended.

Play shit and win: Moan moan moan moan moan.

Dominate AND win?: We were lucky. 

Dominate and win nearly every game…. We’re HMS piss the league !

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Bert said:

Backs to the wall with 5 mins plus 6 added (where did that come from btw) didn’t really matter who was coming on to replace Vards, it was basically gonna be a striker chasing long punts. 

The ref 😉

I would of thought he’d have given Cannon a few minutes unless he’s thinking of starting him on Tuesday, bloody hell tho Bert we were very FUCHING Lucky the baggies were awful infront of goal now we just need Leeds to lose Monday night us to beat Southampton which is possible after watching their game with Cardiff and we’re up then let’s hope then we can grab the title !

7 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

The problem with this club is outcome bias dictates everything. Everyone knew we were rubbish in 2021/22 but Rodgers survived despite this (and in hindsight the fact they wanted higher than 8th that season). History tells us they will see the black and white outcome of promotion solving our issues when we clearly still have plenty.

If Maresca got us up and then went to Sevilla I think it would be the best case scenario. Ultimately delivered in his mission but I've very little confidence under him going forward.

I'm inclined to agree.  Maresca is very inexperienced as a manager;  it's possible he will learn next season ( though if we're in the Prem it will have to be a quick learning curve). Being a good coach is one thing, but to be a good manager demands several other abilities (of which game management is one), and good coaches don't always mature into good managers. Enzo's inflexibility doesn't help either.

On 21/04/2024 at 00:19, Mickyblueeyes said:

Anyone see Rudkin’s face when they switched to Top at the end. He looked pissed off as if he was about to lose a bet! 

Reminds me of me when I'm reminded we have Rudkin spearheading our transfer windows.

7 hours ago, deep blue said:

I'm inclined to agree.  Maresca is very inexperienced as a manager;  it's possible he will learn next season ( though if we're in the Prem it will have to be a quick learning curve). Being a good coach is one thing, but to be a good manager demands several other abilities (of which game management is one), and good coaches don't always mature into good managers. Enzo's inflexibility doesn't help either.

He's just not really grown over the season at all for me. It's the same system every game and we look a fair bit worse than we did a few months ago. I've long disputed this idea in football that things just gradually get better by default too. He's not really showing signs of getting better even if we did get the win. It's a shame, because there's a lot I do like about him, but we're a sitting duck next season I think.

We massively got away with that game on Saturday. I know there's a fair bit of rhetoric about us being wasteful in previous games and that this is a bit of a leveller but I think that's based on very selective data. We've had loads of games where the opposition have missed good chances and some where we were pretty efficient. I don't at all buy this notion that wastefulness has cost us, it's a convenient excuse.

Edited by Dan LCFC

2 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Reminds me of me when I'm reminded we have Rudkin spearheading our transfer windows.

He's just not really grown over the season at all for me. It's the same system every game and we look a fair bit worse than we did a few months ago. I've long disputed this idea in football that things just gradually get better by default too. He's not really showing signs of getting better even if we did get the win. It's a shame, because there's a lot I do like about him, but we're a sitting duck next season I think.

We massively got away with that game on Saturday. I know there's a fair bit of rhetoric about us being wasteful in previous games and that this is a bit of a leveller but I think that's based on very selective data. We've had loads of games where the opposition have missed good chances and some where we were pretty efficient. I don't at all buy this notion that wastefulness has cost us, it's a convenient excuse.

All fair points, however I am fairly sure that the stats show we've mised an absolute bucketful of chances throughout the season.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I largely agree with all of this apart from the last point on missing chances. Conversion rate is so important at all levels. Just look at our success in the title winning season and the period 2019-2022. The same applies for all clubs particularly at the top level. 

I don’t think that is all on the manager mind you. I do like Enzo but I do think the lack of evolution or flexibility is an issue. This may come as he really is a novice still in this role. I don’t think the players don’t care. I believe it is more down to confidence and momentum which has waned since the first half of the season. Resilience ambition  and character are important qualities . It is a difficult decision whether to stick or twist next year but I’d wager we will take the well trodden path of do nothing until it is obvious we need to. 

On 20/04/2024 at 14:28, EastAnglianFox said:

91 points and I still cannot stand our manager.....what the fvck is wrong with me

hahaha yeah i imagine this is how a very good % of the fanbase feel. entire club is just a mess so it's difficult to get properly on board. 

even singing about playing football the 'enzo way', i'm sat there thinking I really don't endorse that lol

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

All fair points, however I am fairly sure that the stats show we've mised an absolute bucketful of chances throughout the season.

I may be wrong on this but I'm fairly confident I've read that we've overperformed versus xG across the season. 

I think on the balance of it we're roughly where we should be. First 10 games or so we got away with murder - how we were sat on ~25 points I have no idea. On the contrary we've had some absolute stinkers not go our way through either refereeing or finishing incompetence (Leeds A, Ipswich A, Plymouth A, Bristol City A).  Swings & roundabouts.

On 21/04/2024 at 10:23, Bert said:

With all due respect, he can’t get in at Celtic. He was good but certainly won’t have a big impact at the level above. 

Caused us loads of problems on Saturday though?  Can't get in at Celtic?  Who is the manager enough said!

10 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

10 hours ago, Supergray22 said:

I largely agree with all of this apart from the last point on missing chances. Conversion rate is so important at all levels. Just look at our success in the title winning season and the period 2019-2022. The same applies for all clubs particularly at the top level. 

I don’t think that is all on the manager mind you. I do like Enzo but I do think the lack of evolution or flexibility is an issue. This may come as he really is a novice still in this role. I don’t think the players don’t care. I believe it is more down to confidence and momentum which has waned since the first half of the season. Resilience ambition  and character are important qualities . It is a difficult decision whether to stick or twist next year but I’d wager we will take the well trodden path of do nothing until it is obvious we need to. 

We have missed chances and I'm not saying we haven't, but I just think for all we have missed chances it doesn't account for the ones where we've scored from pretty low % opportunities - example McAteer's goal at Stoke, huge deflection.

The data for us up until before the West Brom game are expected goals for us are 79.7 and we've actually scored 79. I just think if you're including bad misses you have to be fair and include the same data for the opposition, and include ones where we've scored low % chances.

Was there not a fair bit of rhetoric early doors that we were playing pretty ordinarily and winning as well. I don't think we're much apart from where we ought to be and just think the narrative that it's all because of a few missed sitters is a bit biased. That is not to say we haven't missed sitters - some of Daka's finishing especially has been really poor.

• Like 2

On 21/04/2024 at 09:53, suffolk fox said:

this spot on.  Caused us loads of problems a great dribbler with the ball at his feet.  We should try and sign him in the summer if we get promoted.

He'd be a great replacement for KDH. If he can't get in the side at Celtic, that says more about Rodgers than the player himself. Seen him two or three times this season and he's been MOTM every time. Him and Szmodics in the 8 position would be great signings (if we have any funds whatsoever)

22 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

We have missed chances and I'm not saying we haven't, but I just think for all we have missed chances it doesn't account for the ones where we've scored from pretty low % opportunities - example McAteer's goal at Stoke, huge deflection.

The data for us up until before the West Brom game are expected goals for us are 79.7 and we've actually scored 79. I just think if you're including bad misses you have to be fair and include the same data for the opposition, and include ones where we've scored low % chances.

Was there not a fair bit of rhetoric early doors that we were playing pretty ordinarily and winning as well. I don't think we're much apart from where we ought to be and just think the narrative that it's all because of a few missed sitters is a bit biased. That is not to say we haven't missed sitters - some of Daka's finishing especially has been really poor.

Thank you. I wonder if the comparative stat exists for our collective opposition too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

Thank you. I wonder if the comparative stat exists for our collective opposition too. 

We have actually let in less than we 'should' have done. It's not by a substantial number but I just refute the idea it's all wastefulness from us. We've definitely had some shockers though, no denying that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

We have actually let in less than we 'should' have done. It's not by a substantial number but I just refute the idea it's all wastefulness from us. We've definitely had some shockers though, no denying that.

As you correctly imply, the truth resides somewhere in between.

On 22/04/2024 at 08:38, HighPeakFox said:

Yep. We've created 130 big chances already this season, comfortably more than any other team and already 25 more than Burnley managed over 46 games in winning the league last season. 

We've also missed the most big chances, 75. That equates to a 42% conversion rate. 

Interestingly, given that most people (including me) thought we were fortunate to win on Saturday, according to the official stats for the game, we created 5 big chances to West Brom's 2.