Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Southampton 5-0 post match mutual touching frisky party

Have to admitt I was a little worried with how high we were trying to nick the ball and Southampton did break that press a good few times. Better end product and it could have been different. We did well to get bodies back though.

• Like 3

Just now, Bert said:

You don’t always need the ball to control the game. We controlled the game out of possession. Certainly didn’t feel like a 30/70% game, either. 

Exactly. Control is about so much more than just possession, which let's remember is based on total number of passes rather than percentage of time 'in possession'.

Apart from the first 5 minutes or so after half time, I felt like we had control of that match. Far more so than some matches where we've have 60, 70+ percent possession.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, mikey_b said:

he looked and sounded pretty pissed off in the post match interview, in my opinion. almost like he was annoyed we won 5-0 when not playing enzoball.

words fail me

• Like 4

There was definitely a switch in style of play. In the first half Mads took a goal kick and played it long. It went straight out of play but still, it's been a while since I've seen that. Usually it's the tap it to vesty and get it back. 

What a game, what a performance though. Was absolutely bouncing, best atmosphere for a while but again, the performance helps with that 😁

If leeds and Ipswich fail to win this weekend, we could become champions with a win at Preston. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ricey said:

This really worried me after the game. I came out of the stadium ready to change my mind a little on Enzo if that's the kind of game plan that we have up our sleeve, but his comments afterwards quickly washed that away.

I took his comments as him being happy with the pressing, but unhappy that we didn't control the match more, i.e. that we didn't have enough possession. Yet I don't think we win that game 5-0 if we did manage to achieve 60%+ possession. We won the game 5-0 because we set traps for Southampton and punished them with our excellent pressing. It almost sounds like that wasn't what Enzo had in mind.

It feels like he pours scorn on the most enjoyable performances of the season and bigs up the most passive and ineffective ones. He has an almost religious level belief in 'the idea'. It's not healthy and it will hold him back.

He wasn't happy with how we looked after the ball, but for the love of god Enzo just embrace the chaos sometimes. We needed to be aggressive, we needed to transition quickly when we won the ball back and we needed to utilise the atmosphere. It was counter-attacking football but it was what was required. It was great to watch and it won us an absolutely huge match. It's also a style of play that we will have to adopt more often than not in the Premier League if we want to stay up, but I'm not sure if he'll let that happen.

Seems like you already made your mind up about that one quote. For all intents and purposes he may have thought So'ton were so rubbish they didn't make us work for more than 60 minutes for the win. We've had games where we needed to work hard for 90+ minutes (or more i.e. against Bournemouth) because the opposition were that good. That's how I would think, especially because we've done this before this season and put sides that try to play out to the sword.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ricey said:

This really worried me after the game. I came out of the stadium ready to change my mind a little on Enzo if that's the kind of game plan that we have up our sleeve, but his comments afterwards quickly washed that away.

I took his comments as him being happy with the pressing, but unhappy that we didn't control the match more, i.e. that we didn't have enough possession. Yet I don't think we win that game 5-0 if we did manage to achieve 60%+ possession. We won the game 5-0 because we set traps for Southampton and punished them with our excellent pressing. It almost sounds like that wasn't what Enzo had in mind.

It feels like he pours scorn on the most enjoyable performances of the season and bigs up the most passive and ineffective ones. He has an almost religious level belief in 'the idea'. It's not healthy and it will hold him back.

He wasn't happy with how we looked after the ball, but for the love of god Enzo just embrace the chaos sometimes. We needed to be aggressive, we needed to transition quickly when we won the ball back and we needed to utilise the atmosphere. It was counter-attacking football but it was what was required. It was great to watch and it won us an absolutely huge match. It's also a style of play that we will have to adopt more often than not in the Premier League if we want to stay up, but I'm not sure if he'll let that happen.

Bloody hell man. He's keeping players feet on the ground when they're flying and pushing the players up when they're down.

Basic management that anyone will do.

Feel free to hate the style of play or whatever but come on, you're looking for reasons to knock him when they've just all but secured promotion.

If you think Enzo is in anyway unhappy with that then you're mistaken.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, shen said:

*Sigh*

He's always composed in front of the cameras. He's very deliberate about it and Pearson acknowledged his consistency all season, as dour as it may be.

You're looking for things that aren't there. He's very emotive during games and was beaming on the pitch during and after the game - that's the true face.

I've already covered multiple times how two of our five goals were what you could call 'classic Enzoball' (Ndidi's and Vardy's goals). 
The others were a high press turnover, a long range strike and a direct counter attack. 
It's a bizarre take to assume Maresca didn't set us up this way (and therefore assuming that the players defied his tactics). 
So many seem to not get the idea and intent, or even the pragmatism, of his tactical style. Even fewer take into account the quality and style of the opposition. 
It's clear that Maresca and his team spend a lot of time analyzing the opposition (I base this on the press conferences and the many tweaks before and during games) and that the opposition most often try to surprise us tactically as a result.

TLDR - don't blame Maresca when it goes bad and then discredit him when it goes well. That's just resentful.

This is absolutely right. He didn't say it wasn't a good performance, he was just saying the team have played better without so much reward, which we know is true - converted nearly every chance last night and have regularly had games which were the total opposite.

This performance is super encouraging to me. We've all been worried about what happens if Maresca tries to be too purist after promotion (assuming we can get one more win...). This performance showed he has a plan that works versus opponents who come onto us. He can and will adapt. 

We have had a storming season with a little bump in the road until recently. The negativity is insane.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Bloody hell man. He's keeping players feet on the ground when they're flying and pushing the players up when they're down.

Basic management that anyone will do.

Feel free to hate the style of play or whatever but come on, you're looking for reasons to knock him when they've just all but secured promotion.

If you think Enzo is in anyway unhappy with that then you're mistaken.

I'm not looking to get at Enzo. I said that the performance was one that could start to change peoples minds, as it was outstanding. The aggressive pressing traps, the positionings of KDH/Wilf and the direct balls through the middle were clearly his plan and full credit to him for that. It worked magnificently.

I just said that I'm worried by his comments. It was literally the first thing he said when analysing the match and he only seems to do it when we win without dominating possession.

If he's happy with that style and he's happy to deploy it in the Premier League, then happy days. His comments post match cast doubt over that.

With the last 2 goals - how much space did they want to give us exactly. The last goal was a lovely interception from Jannik straight to KDH who had the whole center of pitch to himself completely un-challenged and yet STILL had Vardy, Mavididi and Fatawu in front of him. Insanity

Surely Russell had seen us play, and knew that the key to stopping us was stifling KDH and Winks?

During our dodgy spell at least we still had some discipline. 

6 minutes ago, Ricey said:

I'm not looking to get at Enzo. I said that the performance was one that could start to change peoples minds, as it was outstanding. The aggressive pressing traps, the positionings of KDH/Wilf and the direct balls through the middle were clearly his plan and full credit to him for that. It worked magnificently.

I just said that I'm worried by his comments. It was literally the first thing he said when analysing the match and he only seems to do it when we win without dominating possession.

If he's happy with that style and he's happy to deploy it in the Premier League, then happy days. His comments post match cast doubt over that.

I'm happy to let him play whatever style of play that gets results. Him doing that has put us top of the league with a realistic chance of winning the trophy with 100 points. Don't really see how anyone can croticise him given its his first year of management.

5 minutes ago, Ricey said:

You also have to consider that it’s going to be a different plan for every game. We did to Southampton exactly what we did to them at their place. And they walked right into it again. 

You’re not going to get that against the likes of Millwall, Bristol City and Hull at home. 

Southampton reminded me very much of us a lot of the time last night when we’d struggle during games this season. Stuck to their philosophy, tried to keep it neat and tidy building from the back. It was a perfect game plan from Maresca, and everything that we seen last night suggests that also. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ARTY_FOX said:

They just showed why everyone else sits in deep because anyone that doesn't when playing us will get mullered  

Not really.

They really were ****ing crap too, they look like the Cardiff game broke them

52 minutes ago, shen said:

*Sigh*

He's always composed in front of the cameras. He's very deliberate about it and Pearson acknowledged his consistency all season, as dour as it may be.

You're looking for things that aren't there. He's very emotive during games and was beaming on the pitch during and after the game - that's the true face.

I've already covered multiple times how two of our five goals were what you could call 'classic Enzoball' (Ndidi's and Vardy's goals). 
The others were a high press turnover, a long range strike and a direct counter attack. 
It's a bizarre take to assume Maresca didn't set us up this way (and therefore assuming that the players defied his tactics). 
So many seem to not get the idea and intent, or even the pragmatism, of his tactical style. Even fewer take into account the quality and style of the opposition. 
It's clear that Maresca and his team spend a lot of time analyzing the opposition (I base this on the press conferences and the many tweaks before and during games) and that the opposition most often try to surprise us tactically as a result.

TLDR - don't blame Maresca when it goes bad and then discredit him when it goes well. That's just resentful.

Seems you are looking for things that are not there.

I don't mind Enzo, never blamed him for anything other than having a boring to watch brand of football. Was just an observation from his body language on the interview. Even my wife walked past while he was being interviewed and said "i thought they won?".

TLDR - opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I'm happy to let him play whatever style of play that gets results. Him doing that has put us top of the league with a realistic chance of winning the trophy with 100 points. Don't really see how anyone can croticise him given its his first year of management.

I think criticism of him over the last few months has been entirely justified and up until a few days a go most of this forum was incredibly critical of him. He's got a lot wrong recently, but last night that wasn't the case, which is why I was surprised that he made such a point of being overly critical of the performance. Maybe it was about keeping everyone grounded, but this isn't the first time he's done it when counter attacking has contributed to us winning a game.

Anyway, regardless what he says in press, if we do deploy that kind of gameplan when required in the Premier League, everyone will be happy. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ricey said:

I think criticism of him over the last few months has been entirely justified and up until a few days a go most of this forum was incredibly critical of him. He's got a lot wrong recently, but last night that wasn't the case, which is why I was surprised that he made such a point of being overly critical of the performance. Maybe it was about keeping everyone grounded, but this isn't the first time he's done it when counter attacking has contributed to us winning a game.

Anyway, regardless what he says in press, if we do deploy that kind of gameplan when required in the Premier League, everyone will be happy. Fingers crossed.

That's simply not the case. I think you are reading for too much into it.

2 hours ago, mikey_b said:

he looked and sounded pretty pissed off in the post match interview, in my opinion. almost like he was annoyed we won 5-0 when not playing enzoball.

He was going mental with joy along the touch line, not anger or disappointment!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ricey said:

Personally i took it as him never being 100% content  and always looking for improvement. which is a good thing.

I guess it just goes to show how different the opinions of the fans are..