Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

6 hours ago, ithuriel said:

Oh dears

To be expected.  JJ was always going to be hard pressed to turn around the mess that Johnson left behind.  These people tell it how I expect it to go.  Will it stop me from going to see it?  No.  Will I go in with the lowest of expectations?  Yes.

This new trilogy went over the edge of the cliff as Luke's lightsabre did at the beginning of the previous film.

In an effort to bring it back round, JJ will offer loud explosions, massive CGI sequences and a choppy plot.  It's what he does best.  

At least it will look good while it's on.

11 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

To be expected.  JJ was always going to be hard pressed to turn around the mess that Johnson left behind.  These people tell it how I expect it to go.  Will it stop me from going to see it?  No.  Will I go in with the lowest of expectations?  Yes.

This new trilogy went over the edge of the cliff as Luke's lightsabre did at the beginning of the previous film.

In an effort to bring it back round, JJ will offer loud explosions, massive CGI sequences and a choppy plot.  It's what he does best.  

At least it will look good while it's on.

Agree JJ was in a bad position. 

I think it's mostly down to awful planning on Disney's part. The whole story should have been written before any production of the 3 started with competent writers, or at least a general direction of how the films should go should have been planned. 

Even if this film was incredible, I would still struggle to enjoy it after the a mediocre force awakens and a god awful last jedi started the trilogy. First time ever I will wait for Netflix / torrent for a star wars movie. 

Of all these new Star Wars films just merge into one big soup and I struggle to remember what happened or the plot of any of them. I'll still go and see it probably though, which is all Disney care about really, making their money from it. 

Edited by The Bear

Star Wars : The Rise Of Skywalker. 

Really really rushed story telling... the whole thing plays at a breakneck speed. Things happen without explanation, character thought dead from Return Of The Jedi is back with little explanation. Could have probably got 2 films out of the script. A shit ton of fan service, hardly any mention of episode 8 other than a few minutes on Luke's island and a couple of those Porg bird things (not a bad thing). Without putting in spoilers, I wasn't keen on how they did 'the rise of Skywalker' conclusion at the end 

5.5/10

Edited by The Syrup

On 30/11/2019 at 19:52, Costock_Fox said:

Just been to see Knives Out, brilliant film!

On 07/12/2019 at 18:28, Soup said:

So went to see Knives Out. Best film I've seen this year I reckon. 10/10

On 11/12/2019 at 20:09, urban.spaceman said:

Knives Out - very, very good.

Yep me and the missus just seen it ... very entertaining ....  :thumbup:

On 12/12/2019 at 07:09, Mike Oxlong said:

Knives Out - Entertained but no more than that 6.5/10

Very harsh !! ...    boooooo !! ...

2 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Yep me and the missus just seen it ... very entertaining ....  :thumbup:

Very harsh !! ...    boooooo !! ...

It's better than Rise of Skywalker.

As a big Star Wars fan, I got up for work early today (5 am) and got finished barely on time so I could see an afternoon showing of RoS.

So disappointed, it shouldn't have ended like this. Endgame showed that Disney CAN pull together a big blockbuster franchise finale, so I expected better.

The whole of the last trilogy has just felt like an exercise in box ticking. The two side stories, Rogue One and Solo were very good. It's such a shame the whole story ends like this... and there's no way to put it right. :( 

16 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

As a big Star Wars fan, I got up for work early today (5 am) and got finished barely on time so I could see an afternoon showing of RoS.

So disappointed, it shouldn't have ended like this. Endgame showed that Disney CAN pull together a big blockbuster franchise finale, so I expected better.

The whole of the last trilogy has just felt like an exercise in box ticking. The two side stories, Rogue One and Solo were very good. It's such a shame the whole story ends like this... and there's no way to put it right. :( 

The whole sequel trilogy has been a balls up. No story arc plotted out at the start, just JJ and Rian playing pass the parcel with the story. So much potential as well. A stormtrooper going AWOL, what happened to the remnants of the Empire post ROTJ. No shortage of interesting stories that could have been explored.

George Lucas had a totally different episodes 7-9 story but Disney binned it. With no creative lead in charge like Lucas it was bound to happen in hindsight though. I know Lucas copped lots of shit for the prequels, but as a story teller / creator he's great. Just keep him away from the directors chair or script writing. Marvel had Kevin Feige to oversee the whole MCU and look how successful that turned out.

Should have made Dave Filoni the creative head, he was Lucas' apprentice after all. He was left with the animation side of things, only just been given his chance with live action in the Mandalorian, which along with Rogue One is one of the few positive thing to come out of Disney buying Lucasfilm.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Declare the new trilogy as non-canon and start again? :ph34r:

11 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

Declare the new trilogy as non-canon and start again? :ph34r:

Good call.

I've read a fair bit of the Star Wars novels that were suddenly declared "non-canon" and turned to "legends", when Disney acquired the rights, but which felt far more like Star Wars than this trilogy ever did (and for it's faults, the prequel trilogy still felt Star Wars) and were better stories. There was a huge resource to work with. They didn't have to copy any of that stuff, but they could have delved into it.

Add to that the videogames that have better stories than the films. The Dark Forces games, Jedi Academy, KotoR... all have better character development than this last trilogy.

I'm really hoping we get an Old Republic film some time. 

Edited by Trav Le Bleu

47 minutes ago, The Syrup said:

The whole sequel trilogy has been a balls up. No story arc plotted out at the start, just JJ and Rian playing pass the parcel with the story. So much potential as well. A stormtrooper going AWOL, what happened to the remnants of the Empire post ROTJ. No shortage of interesting stories that could have been explored.

George Lucas had a totally different episodes 7-9 story but Disney binned it. With no creative lead in charge like Lucas it was bound to happen in hindsight though. I know Lucas copped lots of shit for the prequels, but as a story teller / creator he's great. Just keep him away from the directors chair or script writing. Marvel had Kevin Feige to oversee the whole MCU and look how successful that turned out.

Should have made Dave Filoni the creative head, he was Lucas' apprentice after all. He was left with the animation side of things, only just been given his chance with live action in the Mandalorian, which along with Rogue One is one of the few positive thing to come out of Disney buying Lucasfilm.

I think they will go more with the TV series route and return to movies in a couple of years, Kennedy will be moved elsewhere and a new showrunner will be in place.

Filoni did really well with the CGI animated clone wars and is doing fine with the Mandalorian too along side Favreau.

Think I saw online they have lined up a Kenobi series now that the Mandalorian is into filming season two.

Edited by ithuriel

Guest seanfox778
On 18/12/2019 at 16:20, goose2010 said:

Go and see JoJo Rabbit when it comes on the 1st you wont be disapointed.

I saw the trailer for that at the cinema yesterday. Looks very funny. 

Finally watched the Rise of Skywalker, well, they should have planned this stuff out before even starting, the three movies are what happens if you were to draw a third of a picture, fold the paper, allow someone else to draw their own thing and then handed it back to the first person to try and complete the picture.

So many things really come from no where and it makes little sense when you think about it.

The theatre was mostly empty too.

19 hours ago, The Syrup said:

Binning Lucas' ideas is one of Disney's best moves. He may have come up with good stuff in the 70s and 80s but that was a long time ago now and even if you go along with the idea that the prequels aren't as bad as people make out (and it's a nonsense theory, the first two especially are appalling on every cinematic level) you've still got the crystal skull abortion which he came up with but didn't direct. Disney have totally botched this trilogy but it has nothing to do with not keeping Lucas involved.

That new Jumanji film is garbage.

Fifty fvckin quid for me, the wife and two kids plus food and drink is a joke.

Not even one laugh out loud moment and even the cast looked bored.

Terrible, terrible, dog turd shite.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Where did you go for it to cost £50 :blink:

2 hours ago, ithuriel said:

Have read a lot of stuff about numerous cuts and last minute filming so interesting,...….

What a balls up... no real plan, directors getting binned in the trilogy and stand-alones, Disney boss Bob Iger sticking his oar in. Sequel trilogy never stood a chance in hindsight. Other than Solo they've all made money so Disney shareholders are happy at least.

37 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

Where did you go for it to cost £50 :blink:

Cineworld. Adult tickets £15 each and kids tickets £10 each. 

I'm guessing they might have been more expensive because it was that X screen/270 degree bollux where it also projects half way up the side walls which is just a gimmick really. 

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Probably would have been cheaper to travel to Leicester and watch it at Vue for £5 each 

• Thanks 1