Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

9 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

If you cant be bothered reading the book (and i highly recommend you do) then at least watch this amazing doco...

Image result for the inventor

Is that about Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos? I didn't know there was a film abut it. The podcast 'The Dropout' which covers the subject is well worth a listen, but probably not worth it if you've already read the book and seen the film!

• Like 1

Went to a showing of The Tale of Princess Kaguya at my local independent cinema the other day - a modern timeless classic and the last film of Ghibli director Isao Takahata.

Animation is quite different to what the usually do - much more simple, but still beautiful to look at. Based on a traditional Japanese folk story. I highly recommend it to anyone who has enjoyed Studio Ghibli films before.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, egg_fried_rice said:

Is that about Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos? I didn't know there was a film abut it. The podcast 'The Dropout' which covers the subject is well worth a listen, but probably not worth it if you've already read the book and seen the film!

yes... doesnt come close to the book, but such an amazing story. I imagine the podcast would be pretty good with the added time they usually have.

Just the most incredible story

8 hours ago, rico said:

Who ya gonna call......?

Urrgh why??? It is impossible to top the original, it was lightning in a bottle, one of the most perfect comedies of all time. It's been tried twice now and they've not come close. I'm not even saying this looks bad but it exists purely for brand recognition, it's just so unnecessary.

13 hours ago, Gubbins said:

Urrgh why??? It is impossible to top the original, it was lightning in a bottle, one of the most perfect comedies of all time. It's been tried twice now and they've not come close. I'm not even saying this looks bad but it exists purely for brand recognition, it's just so unnecessary.

I don't think they're trying to "top" the original movie. It's a Ghostbusters with a different spin on it, paying homage to the first one.

My hope is they do it properly and with decency, and the trailer indicates that.

Also leaves room open for interpretation - who knows, maybe we'll see some of the original cast pop up at some stage. Murray, Aykroyd, Weaver. Most of them are still alive and kicking.

The only annoying bit is the fact that that Stranger Things kid is somewhat overcast lately.

20 hours ago, Gubbins said:

Twice??? I know the one with the women in, im confused about the other though? Please tell me your not on about ghostbusters 2! If so, shame on you. Both ghostbusters were good, 😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lestajigs said:

Twice??? I know the one with the women in, im confused about the other though? Please tell me your not on about ghostbusters 2! If so, shame on you. Both ghostbusters were good, 😀

Well shame on you if you think Ghostbusters 2 is on a similar level to the original! It's an ok film but as I said the original is movie perfection whilst the follow up is just a standard sequel. It's hardly Aliens or T2!

11 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

I don't think they're trying to "top" the original movie. It's a Ghostbusters with a different spin on it, paying homage to the first one.

My hope is they do it properly and with decency, and the trailer indicates that.

I just think it's largely pointless even if the films decent. In 5 years time if you fancy watching a film about people catching ghosts then you stick the original on cos it will undoubtedly still be the superior film. 

I think I'm just really dejected by the whole remake/reboot thing. In the last 15 years that they've been doing it I honestly can't think of a genuinely great one. So many are just cynical cash grabs. 

Edited by Gubbins

Men In Black International.

Urgh. Feels way too rushed, trying to cram action into the plot. Hardly any character development, characters and antagonists especially have no real backbone, no backstory. Which makes them hollow and uninteresting. Emma Thompson serves no purpose other than be present in the beginning, and then right at the end again.

What really happened to Liam Neeson's character before the movie starts?

It's not even international. It's "Studio" and "Marrakesh" basically, with bits of "London" and "New York" in between.

Should've left the franchise alone after the first two movies.

Guest seanfox778
13 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Men In Black International.

Urgh. Feels way too rushed, trying to cram action into the plot. Hardly any character development, characters and antagonists especially have no real backbone, no backstory. Which makes them hollow and uninteresting. Emma Thompson serves no purpose other than be present in the beginning, and then right at the end again.

What really happened to Liam Neeson's character before the movie starts?

It's not even international. It's "Studio" and "Marrakesh" basically, with bits of "London" and "New York" in between.

Should've left the franchise alone after the first two movies.

The main plot twist was too easy to guess also. Agree with your last sentence, too many films are getting remade or long overdue sequels because the originals were hits. Men in Black II was actually pretty crap but the 3rd was decent. The latest was just a waste of time. 

2 hours ago, The Syrup said:

Not looking promising. The Skywalker saga ended with Return Of The Jedi imo, Disney-era SW films (bar Rogue One) can get in the bin. At least the Mandalorian is good though so all not lost for future SW output.

There are plenty of not good reviews it seems

Just good that the TV series is helmed by different peeps.

Still gonna go see this but rewatchability? will see.

Edited by ithuriel