Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

Cheers. Debating whether or not to drive on Wednesday, don't really fancy leaving my car near the ground.

I wouldn't leave a car anywhere near.

Best bet is to go Southfields >> Westminster >> London Bridge then get a train to South Bermondsey

Very unwell and have been since boxing day. Nightmare. 

Hoping to feel a bit better for tomorrow night, if not loads of paracetamol in the day and i'll just have to drink more to numb the pain through the day :D 

Going skiing in 12 days, too. Fúcking yeah. (I can't ski). 

Just done a 9pm til 3:50am shift, got back just over an hour ago and can't sleep as I've gotta be at the Job Centre at 10. At least this time it's a different version of JSA. 2 more shifts until 23 days off though.

Just done a 9pm til 3:50am shift, got back just over an hour ago and can't sleep as I've gotta be at the Job Centre at 10. At least this time it's a different version of JSA. 2 more shifts until 23 days off though.

I ain't being funny, but why are you still signing on?

As I understand it, you are allowed to work up 16 hours before you are considered to be in full time employment (not that 16 hours a week is full time).  I suppose it helps the government with their employment figures.  As soon as somebody works more than 16 hrs they are no longer 'unemployed'.  They might still be up Shit Street financially, but at least the government can mark that down as a success story.

A mate of mine had been signing on.  He did a couple of days agency work one week & earnt himself about £70.  He declared this work to the Job Centre & they immediately reduced his JSA by £70.  He did the same work for a few weeks & the Job Centre still wanted him to sign on as normal (something to do with NI payments?).  He told them to shove it up their arse!!

I can understand why.  He could have sat on his arse watching telly all day, every day & got the same amount of money as he did through working.  It was costing him to get into town to sign on & pay for parking, so he was probably worse off working than not working.

I understand there are people who would rather work than sit around doing nothing, but where's the incentive for those who prefer not to work?  He has since found full time work, as it is probably easier to find work when you are already working, but that was down to his own self-respect rather than any encouragement from the Job Centre.

It seems to me that the whole system is a shambles.

Income based JSA is working under 24 hours a week and savings under £16K. I'm on average only working 9 hours a week and only getting £40 a week, sometimes even £20, so I literally need as much money as I can get. I can't pay my parents for food/rent at the moment. Plus my work has nothing on for 23 days which would mean getting nothing for almost a month if I didn't start signing back on.

I said the work would slow down after Xmas. If you are only doing part time over the festive pertod i cannot see it improving after because people tend to spend and go out less.

pSinatra, you are pretty much right. 16 hours and they expect you to sign off. They do not count the first £5 of your earnings so in affect you can earn £75 but if you have travel costs that is soon wiped out. Under that you can get half price bus travel and they may refund travel costs to job interviews. Not sure of the age when the hours change or if they have altered things.

Lamby can you not claim tax credits? You should not be paying tax on the hours you do.

I was glad to get out of the system. It is humiliating having to sign on especially now as the staff at job centres have targets to reach and their jobs are at risk if they are not met. I am now classed as retired. The part time job I have actually ends today so my last pay cheque is January but my income will be the same as my pension credit is means tested. In a couple of years I'll be able to take a part time job on top of of it but for now I'll do just voluntary unless a good well payed job comes available.

Edited by Rincewind

Very unwell and have been since boxing day. Nightmare. 

Hoping to feel a bit better for tomorrow night, if not loads of paracetamol in the day and i'll just have to drink more to numb the pain through the day :D 

Going skiing in 12 days, too. Fúcking yeah. (I can't ski).

Where are you going?

Make sure you get lessons,you will learn much quicker and far less dangerous.if there a few of you starting get a private instructor for 3 days ,I think a maximum of 3 people per session for the same price as if one of you was doing it.Group is fine,and you will still learn loads,but a lot of standing about waiting for others.you will learn so much more in those 3 days by a long stretch rather than 5 days in a group.Enjoy.

Income based JSA is working under 24 hours a week and savings under £16K. I'm on average only working 9 hours a week and only getting £40 a week, sometimes even £20, so I literally need as much money as I can get. I can't pay my parents for food/rent at the moment. Plus my work has nothing on for 23 days which would mean getting nothing for almost a month if I didn't start signing back on.

I weren't knocking it.  It just sounded like you were putting in more hours than you actually are.

I don't suppose there's much incentive to work, seeing as you could probably get about the same money without lifting a finger, not having to travel half way across London & not working nights.  Fair play to you.

I hope something more reliable & permanent comes along soon.

Where are you going?

Make sure you get lessons,you will learn much quicker and far less dangerous.if there a few of you starting get a private instructor for 3 days ,I think a maximum of 3 people per session for the same price as if one of you was doing it.Group is fine,and you will still learn loads,but a lot of standing about waiting for others.you will learn so much more in those 3 days by a long stretch rather than 5 days in a group.Enjoy.

We're going to Borovets in Bulgaria. We're all students/part time workers so it ticked the "it was cheap and cheerful" box and had good reviews. And when you get there everything costs about 50p :D

Yeah think I'm gonna get 3 days of lessons with one other mate, the rest have all been before so will probably come along for one lesson to get their eye in and remember how it's done and stuff before flying off haha. Will look into group/individual for prices and stuff.

I don't expect to be any good haha, as long as I can go forwards, turn round and stop at the bottom I'll have a laugh. Bit different to the usual lads holiday anyway, and a bit of a pick me up before properly going back to work for the new year and stuff.