Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Benjani

What are you eating now?

Had an absolutely spectacular meal at a stunning restaurant called Zur Holl (Hell) in Rothenburg on Saturday night. Literally one of the best meals of my adult life.

The place came highly recommended by locals and tourists alike, was very cosy, quaint, nestled on a back street with a cellar and foundations from the first century AD (the rest of it "modernised" in the 15th century.) The staff were great, service was immense and they constantly brought round extra dumplings, veg, sauce, potatoes, sauerkraut, etc for as long as you're still eating your meat.

I had roast venison, very pink and succulent, with bread and potato dumplings, Brussels and white cabbage with a thick, meaty, somewhat ale tasting gravy style sauce.

My girlfriend had roast goose, really melt in the mouth, with red cabbage, potato dumplings and a different sauce. Both off the specials board, both absolutely world class.

Very impressed with German/Franconian/Bavarian food. Much like our traditional cooking, it was full of wholesome, warm, hearty food. Lots of meat and spuds. None of this fancy, French, tiny portion shit. Posh cuisine can go bollocks.

If anyone finds themselves near Frankfurt or Nuremberg, I highly recommend a trip to Rothenburg and Zur Holl for a day. Book in advance, though, it's very popular.

(Yes, it was even better than Ribs n Beer, UB.)

Somewhat bollocks picture quality, surprising for my phone. I blame Facebook. Zur Holl from the outside:

5a2tyd.jpg

Though the flash on this makes it look a bit off and doesn't do it justice. Wasn't really optional though as it's very dark (in a good way, imho) in there.

2eohe6u.jpg

Portion sizes might not look massive to begin with but they just keep bringing the trimmings. I was so ****ing stuffed by the end.