Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

43 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

They have them in the Asda I go to now where the idea is to do that very thing.

As if doing a big shop late on a week night wasn't bad enough. After about 9.30 there are no checkout staff so you have no choice but to use them, and I can safely say it's one of the bleakest experiences you can have in normal life

Then that store is being run by replicants. 

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

:dunno: Twas ever thus, IMO.

Maybe so. To me there's even more 'glory hunters' these days.

Few of the lads I work with (youngsters) are Man Utd AND Real Madrid fans from Somerset. I know they've always existed, it just seems the need to 'support' successful clubs these days is more prevalent. Maybe sharing a Man U post gets more 'likes' than Bristol City posts, I believe it may be as simple as that. 

Edited by Max Wall
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I see every man and his dog is now an England fan these days - very interesting.

Thought I'd have a read back through some of the match threads for the WC qualification matches and friendlies for a laugh.

The pure hatred on there for the national team and the whole set up is plain to see, yet suddenly we've had a few wins at the WC and everybody wants to be part of it.

I wonder how long it lasts :whistle:

It is worse when politicians and famous people who don't like football get involved because it is trendy.

Didn't we have Keith Vaz in a scarf at the House of Commons after our title win? Don't remember him doing the same in League One.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max Wall said:

Maybe so. To me there's even more 'glory hunters' these days.

Few of the lads I work with (youngsters) are Man Utd AND Real Madrid fans from Somerset. I know they've always existed, it just seems the need to 'support' successful clubs these days is more prevalent. Maybe sharing a Man U post gets more 'likes' than Bristol City posts, I believe it may be as simple as that. 

I well remember the vast following Leeds United had in the 1970s, all over the country. Where are these people now?

Mind you, living in Leeds then, I was almost a supporter.

3 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

I well remember the vast following Leeds United had in the 1970s, all over the country. Where are these people now?

You'd have fitted in well with the 70's Leeds fans DT.

36 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

I thought things had become worse. Maybe 'twas ever thus.

1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

Glad you edited that, can't be throwing around careless accusations of forgetting to leave scarves in the car in this day and age.

It was a momentary loss of mind due to cider, heat and excitement.

Edit - And age

Edited by Max Wall

I know it's been said before but the trains. Almost every train from Kings Lynn to Kings Cross cancelled today due to staff shortages (probably hungover). The ones that are running are packed like tube trains in rush hour. I don't think half the rail companies are even trying anymore. Fvcking joke. 

15 minutes ago, bovril said:

I know it's been said before but the trains. Almost every train from Kings Lynn to Kings Cross cancelled today due to staff shortages (probably hungover). The ones that are running are packed like tube trains in rush hour. I don't think half the rail companies are even trying anymore. Fvcking joke. 

we got a 'sincere apology' e-mailed to us after the signal failure havoc caused at Streatham which affected a lot of main lines.

Talking about high standards etc but no suggestion of what they're trying to do to improve the situation. 

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

we got a 'sincere apology' e-mailed to us after the signal failure havoc caused at Streatham which affected a lot of main lines.

Talking about high standards etc but no suggestion of what they're trying to do to improve the situation. 

It's getting to the point when I'm simply deciding not to come home to see family anymore because of the price and the likelihood of disruption. And in this heat it's really not worth it. I really hate complaining about things for complaining's sake but it's the worst service I think I've experienced anywhere. 

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

A minority of idiot prats who seem to want to celebrate England's rare football success by wrecking emergency vehicles and other stuff.

Way to play up to the tired old stereotype, morons.

Try working in a pub! I'm assistant manager at a recently refurbed pub that had half a million quid spent on it. After the Colombia and Sweden games, we've had complete tossers in that are adamant on smashing the place up. 

Why? We've won ffs. 

I'm now having to spend out on door staff to stop the idiots. 

Physically removed 4 idiots myself after Colombia, breaking chairs and glasses, mouthing off at me, they tried to come back in yesterday and looked shocked when I told them to fvck off lol

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Try working in a pub! I'm assistant manager at a recently refurbed pub that had half a million quid spent on it. After the Colombia and Sweden games, we've had complete tossers in that are adamant on smashing the place up. 

Why? We've won ffs. 

I'm now having to spend out on door staff to stop the idiots. 

Physically removed 4 idiots myself after Colombia, breaking chairs and glasses, mouthing off at me, they tried to come back in yesterday and looked shocked when I told them to fvck off lol

You see, this is what happens when you allow cousins to marry. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bovril said:

One of my colleagues is from up that way so he's been having the same problems getting into work and apparently he was told that the problem's something to do with the drivers not all being trained to handle the new timetable?  Sounds like an odd excuse to me I'm wondering if he misunderstood what was being said.

7 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

One of my colleagues is from up that way so he's been having the same problems getting into work and apparently he was told that the problem's something to do with the drivers not all being trained to handle the new timetable?  Sounds like an odd excuse to me I'm wondering if he misunderstood what was being said.

I've heard similar things.

Still, thanks to the wonders of the free market I can shop around and get the best deal. And by shop around I mean call my Dad to drive me to Cambridge so I can get a slower train to the wrong part of London and get home at 10pm. 

It's pretty much lose/lose for the authorities this week. If England win the World Cup, it'll kick off into mental riot mode and if we lose it'll be even worse. Drunk idiots smash things up win or lose. 

I'm all for good natured stuff, singing and dancing in the street but some of the people that watch England in town act as if they're in Russia and looking for trouble. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

It's pretty much lose/lose for the authorities this week. If England win the World Cup, it'll kick off into mental riot mode and if we lose it'll be even worse. Drunk idiots smash things up win or lose. 

I'm all for good natured stuff, singing and dancing in the street but some of the people that watch England in town act as if they're in Russia and looking for trouble. 

Complete and utter bell ends 

meanwhile the Police/ambulance etc cant get to the domestic fight which has potentially dire consequence as they are too busy “looking after” a load of drunken morons in town

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bovril said:

I've heard similar things.

Still, thanks to the wonders of the free market I can shop around and get the best deal. And by shop around I mean call my Dad to drive me to Cambridge so I can get a slower train to the wrong part of London and get home at 10pm. 

I take it you're not all the way up in King's Lynn then cause that's, what, an hour each way?  My colleague's apparently been having taxis paid for him by the train station so you may want to look into that, save your old man some hassle :D (I think he gets on at Downham Market).

2 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

I take it you're not all the way up in King's Lynn then cause that's, what, an hour each way?  My colleague's apparently been having taxis paid for him by the train station so you may want to look into that, save your old man some hassle :D (I think he gets on at Downham Market).

Yep, an hour and about ten minutes to get into the centre of Cambridge. Stopped off for a pub dinner on the way to make the most of it.

Will look into the taxi thing, but to be honest will probably just avoid it all together. Was going to go back to watch the final next Sunday but can't be ****ed honestly. 

Wouldn't say it grinds my gears or annoys me as much as just strikes me as odd - but people who beg John Percy (for example) for news seconds after he's tweeted something completely not to do with their club.

He's just said there's a possibly Mason Mount could go on loan to Derby and the thread is just full of "any news on Stoke, John?!" If he had it, he'd tweet it. Calm down.

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie
  • Like 1

Using reductive phrases for comic effect in media when it makes the ensuing joke mean the opposite of what was intended.

Case in point I'm watching an episode of Jessica Jones where Jess and Trish are getting ready to track down a potentially super-powered individual and the subject of protection arises so Trish fetches an SMG and asks "too much?"  Jessica responds "not unless you're going grocery shopping in Texas" (lol).  Taken out of context any linguistically competent person would interpret the joke as her saying "no, the SMG isn't too much, unless you were planning on some mundane event like going to the shops in peaceful Texas".  Trouble is that it's said in the context of Jess rebuking the suggestion, taking the gun off Trish and handing her a high-tech taser device... so what she's really saying is "yes, the SMG is too much, unless you were planning on partaking in the dangerous task of going to the shops in gun-crazy Texas" (lol) ie. literally the opposite of what her words meant.

I can brush something like that off in everyday conversation, everyone does it and I'm no exception to that, but when a professional script-writer who has the luxury of time to think about it and a team of proof-readers puts it to paper and it makes it into production without being corrected (in this case simply switching "unless" for "if" would have sufficed) then my gears grind against one-another.

2 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Using reductive phrases for comic effect in media when it makes the ensuing joke mean the opposite of what was intended.

Case in point I'm watching an episode of Jessica Jones where Jess and Trish are getting ready to track down a potentially super-powered individual and the subject of protection arises so Trish fetches an SMG and asks "too much?"  Jessica responds "not unless you're going grocery shopping in Texas" (lol).  Taken out of context any linguistically competent person would interpret the joke as her saying "no, the SMG isn't too much, unless you were planning on some mundane event like going to the shops in peaceful Texas".  Trouble is that it's said in the context of Jess rebuking the suggestion, taking the gun off Trish and handing her a high-tech taser device... so what she's really saying is "yes, the SMG is too much, unless you were planning on partaking in the dangerous task of going to the shops in gun-crazy Texas" (lol) ie. literally the opposite of what her words meant.

I can brush something like that off in everyday conversation, everyone does it and I'm no exception to that, but when a professional script-writer who has the luxury of time to think about it and a team of proof-readers puts it to paper and it makes it into production without being corrected (in this case simply switching "unless" for "if" would have sufficed) then my gears grind against one-another.

Trish is just an irritating character, Malcom and Kilgrave are the only enjoyable characters in both seasons.

Any sort of "bench warmer" joke or comment, bland and inane. You're most likely an adult and you're definitely not the first, fiftieth or thousandth to say something long those lines. "Danny Benchwarmer" is the worst.