Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

Just to hopefully re-assure everyone, it is something she’s suffered from a lot previously in terms of panic attacks and not being able to return… so likely to be that. I know a few people in her team 👍 will update properly if the news doesn’t get there first! lol 

4 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Just to hopefully re-assure everyone, it is something she’s suffered from a lot previously in terms of panic attacks and not being able to return… so likely to be that. I know a few people in her team 👍 will update properly if the news doesn’t get there first! lol 

Hopefully if that's the case she can come back and play this off as just another one of those, and not something more serious.

Is this something that will continue to affect her though? Or something that will pass with age/experience...?

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Hopefully if that's the case she can come back and play this off as just another one of those, and not something more serious.

Is this something that will continue to affect her though? Or something that will pass with age/experience...?

Difficult one isn’t it. I mean you don’t expect to be in front of a crowd like that, under the roof, late in the day at that age… so hopefully more of a learning thing. Having said that I’d imagine it’s something tricky to get past without the right management. 

I imagine the next stage of her development will be hiring the likes of a sports psychologist etc…. Not something you’d ordinarily think about at that age/level though is it. 

Was an amazing run and I’m sure she’ll learn from it all. For context she was comfortably beaten in the first round of the Nottingham open just a few weeks ago! 

• Like 1

She had a panic attack maybe some ibs as well, hence why she seemed so supset

It wont be a serious stomach strain, because I had have had that and it leaves you in agony on a court

Trust me I have competed as a runner as a  junior I know the signs

Edited by twister
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, TK95 said:

I was uncomfortable with John McEnroe's comments after that. Completely inappropriate and reckless to dismiss her condition without any basis of knowing what happened

Agreed. Straight away he came across like a right twat. 

Plus he wore trainers with a suit. Absolute tit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TK95 said:

I was uncomfortable with John McEnroe's comments after that. Completely inappropriate and reckless to dismiss her condition without any basis of knowing what happened

But you are making comments without any basis of knowing what happened, but that’s ok. 

She lost, she gave up, end of story.

She played very well in previous rounds, hopefully has a great future, let’s focus on the positives if you can. 

7 hours ago, BoyJones said:

But you are making comments without any basis of knowing what happened, but that’s ok. 

She played very well in previous rounds, hopefully has a great future, let’s focus on the positives if you can. 

TBF its a well known fact that McEnroe is a twat

9 hours ago, BoyJones said:

If someone had sprained their ankle and the medics had told them they should stop playing, would that be giving up? Language is so important here. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I used to suffer from panic attacks during my A-Levels and University degree (especially around exam time) to such an extent that I had to be put on beta blockers. I don't think it's something that ever really goes away. You just have to manage it as best you can.

That's actually quite sad, because she is obviously a gifted player and seems to be a nice girl, you wish her all the best for her career.  Hope the press aren't on the lookout for the follow on to Andy Murray.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AjcW said:

Just to hopefully re-assure everyone, it is something she’s suffered from a lot previously in terms of panic attacks and not being able to return… so likely to be that. I know a few people in her team 👍.

Thanks. This is what I thought was happening. I suspect she might have been ok had she won the first set. The distressing thing is that, each time the point is over, the panic and hyperventilating kicks in again. She would have lost focus, become distressed that she was not performing to expectation (her own, her coach, her family, and the partisan onlookers) and, even though they're largely physically 'harmless', they're a very unpleasant experience - no way she could have gone on. 

Tennis at this level is like a gladiatorial contest - with boxing you get a break every three minutes. With tennis it's slugging it out and only one winner.

Best British female player to emerge for decades and so personable.

3 minutes ago, gerblod said:

Thanks. This is what I thought was happening. I suspect she might have been ok had she won the first set. The distressing thing is that, each time the point is over, the panic and hyperventilating kicks in again. She would have lost focus, become distressed that she was not performing to expectation (her own, her coach, her family, and the partisan onlookers) and, even though they're largely physically 'harmless', they're a very unpleasant experience - no way she could have gone on. 

Tennis at this level is like a gladiatorial contest - with boxing you get a break every three minutes. With tennis it's slugging it out and only one winner.

Best British female player to emerge for decades and so personable.

Found this bit interesting. I've noticed this year (might have missed it in 2019) that there's essentially serving clocks and also a countdown timer for changeovers, both clearly visible to players. An added layer of pressure on top of everything else really, almost no time to take stock of what's going on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

The Pole wins.

Must increase the chances of a Djokovic v Federer final now .

I went on Saturday Norrie wasn't far from taking it to 5 even though Fed was well clear 1st 2 sets, sadly 2019 was his big chance, 2 match points. 

He would also be 3 slams ahead, which might take some catching.

Technically & aesthetically he's the best but Djokovic is an animal

• Like 1