Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

26 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Well tbf, it's a man ranked 150 odd in the world v a man with a metal hip. I hope you weren't expecting Federer v Nadal Wimbledon final levels.

As remarkable as it is to see him competing, the man with the metal hip has won a title and beaten top 10 players since. He is still capable of reaching a decent level as proved against Basilashvili in parts. Of course it's difficult to do that consistently given his lack of matches recently, but the tennis here has been a tough watch, even if it's classic Murray drama.

His forehand here has been woeful, and he has been reluctant to flatten out his backhand.

It's know how and will getting him through this, he can never be faulted for that, he is a warrior.

Edited by martyn

2 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

good match

tennis crowd always makes me cringe good at times but jeez there a bit rowdy 

Not as cringey as the England fans yesterday celebrating a last 16 win against a very below par team.

• Haha 1

Murray was turning more psycho than Kyrgios.

Closed it out pretty well in the end, those two lobs especially were majestic. 

Shapovalov will probably be way too fresh for Murray though, especially as he had a walkover today.

Just now, kingfox said:

Murray was turning more psycho than Kyrgios.

Closed it out pretty well in the end, those two lobs especially were majestic. 

Shapovalov will probably be way too fresh for Murray though, especially as he had a walkover today.

I'm reaching here, but the lack of 2nd round match might just count against him - Murray might just have found enough rhythm.

Props to Otte though, played some very good tennis - for 2 sets he just wasn't missing.

Wow Murray properly dug in tonight didn't he? Thought he was dead on his feet, the roof closure came at the right time. Otte didn't come back the same player and Murray seemed to have a new lease of life and confidence. 

Gotta love Wimbledon on these nights when Murray plays. Crowd is bang up for it and almost carried him through. 

Not sure how much energy he's got left for the next round though... 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Murray won't be helped by having played a 5 setter whilst Shapovalov got a walk over.

The main hope is that Shapavolov hasn't quite found his tennis legs yet. I saw him at Queens and he didn't look that convincing. 

On 30/06/2021 at 22:23, martyn said:

As remarkable as it is to see him competing, the man with the metal hip has won a title and beaten top 10 players since. He is still capable of reaching a decent level as proved against Basilashvili in parts. Of course it's difficult to do that consistently given his lack of matches recently, but the tennis here has been a tough watch, even if it's classic Murray drama.

His forehand here has been woeful, and he has been reluctant to flatten out his backhand.

It's know how and will getting him through this, he can never be faulted for that, he is a warrior.

He beat Sasha Zvarev who should of taken him out but had a complete trademark mental breakdown, and won a 250 tournament in Belgium nearly two years ago.

These days he’s predictable, if he’s fresh he can give a good account of himself in the first round of any tournament against most players, after that he’s struggling. He might maintain a half decent ranking off the back of wild cards into tournaments his actual ranking shouldn’t warrant entry to, and get through a round or two, but make no mistake he is 100% done at any real level now. His body struggles with the demands of ATP tour tennis.

He plays because he wants to play now and fair play to him but make no mistake he is absolutely finished at the top level of the sport and will not get close to a top 32 ranking again, if it weren’t for his previous accolades he’d be on the challenger tour.

3 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

He beat Sasha Zvarev who should of taken him out but had a complete trademark mental breakdown, and won a 250 tournament in Belgium nearly two years ago.

These days he’s predictable, if he’s fresh he can give a good account of himself in the first round of any tournament against most players, after that he’s struggling. He might maintain a half decent ranking off the back of wild cards into tournaments his actual ranking shouldn’t warrant entry to, and get through a round or two, but make no mistake he is 100% done at any real level now. His body struggles with the demands of ATP tour tennis.

He plays because he wants to play now and fair play to him but make no mistake he is absolutely finished at the top level of the sport and will not get close to a top 32 ranking again, if it weren’t for his previous accolades he’d be on the challenger tour.

I'd wait for the end of the year before making this judgement given the guy hasn't had the time to string any kind of match fitness together at all yet, but yeah.

It's a shame, really. That injury and being around at the same time as the three finest players the game has ever produced must make one think there is no manner of natural justice at all.

Edit: To say nothing of the fact that injury arrived just at the time when he had reached world no.1 and was beginning to match those three.

Edited by leicsmac

6 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I'd wait for the end of the year before making this judgement given the guy hasn't had the time to string any kind of match fitness together at all yet, but yeah.

It's a shame, really. That injury and being around at the same time as the three finest players the game has ever produced must make one think there is no manner of natural justice at all.

Edit: To say nothing of the fact that injury arrived just at the time when he had reached world no.1 and was beginning to match those three.

I reckon Murray would actually appreciate playing in this era. It forced him to become a better player.

Even in this era he could, and should have got his slam count up by a couple, but to get to #1, win 14 Masters Series, an ATP Tour Finals, a Davis Cup and 2 Olympic Golds is incredible in itself.

Edited by martyn

5 minutes ago, martyn said:

I reckon Murray would actually appreciate playing in this era. It forced him to become a better player.

Even in this era he could, and should have got his slam count up by a couple, but to get to #1, win 14 Masters Series, an ATP Tour Finals, a Davis Cup and 2 Olympic Golds is incredible in itself.

He could have got his slam count higher, but he's was up against 3 of the best to ever play the game. The fact he put himself in a position to potentially win more, more than any other player outside that big 3 did, is a credit to him.

He'd probably be the stand alone best player in any other era, but your right they pushed him to be even better, and he did. His determination to reach the top is probably the one thing he's streets ahead of the rest on. Nothing and nobody was going to stop him reaching the top even if it was only a fleeting visit and it ultimately ruined his body.

8 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

I would have 100% agreed with this before the 5-setter the other day, which followed another fairly lengthy match. For me he needs to get back to playing smaller tournaments and gradually build his match fitness up (both physically and mentally) and then we can see what happens. I never see him winning a grand slam again, but he can be competitive in smaller tournaments. Is that going to be enough for him though, this is the question... I suspect not.

I am surprised he's not more drawn to playing doubles as I feel if he really focused on it and found a regular partner he could really get to a high level and get back some of that winning satisfaction. Same for Heather Watson too actually who struggles with her consistency in singles - she really has a good game for doubles - you don't fluke a grand slam win. 

1 hour ago, martyn said:

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

He could have got his slam count higher, but he's was up against 3 of the best to ever play the game. The fact he put himself in a position to potentially win more, more than any other player outside that big 3 did, is a credit to him.

He'd probably be the stand alone best player in any other era, but your right they pushed him to be even better, and he did. His determination to reach the top is probably the one thing he's streets ahead of the rest on. Nothing and nobody was going to stop him reaching the top even if it was only a fleeting visit and it ultimately ruined his body.

You both make compelling arguments here tbh.

Guess I'm just left wondering what might have been.

18 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

You both make compelling arguments here tbh.

Guess I'm just left wondering what might have been.

I think the nature of following a team or sportsperson, or a nations sports people means you'll always dream.

After Paris I've pretty much written off Nadal due to age and the effects of the game on his body, but I still, completely irrationally, hold out hope Murray will pull something out the bag. Let's be honest it'd be just like him to somehow pull Olympic gold out the bag when it seems impossible.

• Like 1