Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lookwhaticando

Norf'ampton post-match

LMAO. Is that the guy who must have been chased by about 20 of the n'hampton boiz down the exit?? lol

I dunno. It was in that area but I remember that and I'm not sure whether that was straight after Dyer's goal or not. That was hilarious. The rozzers were steaming in quicksharp.

I love the idea of loads of Leicester all over the ground. lol

Today's was a game City could easily have lost, especially early on when Northampton's nippy forwards were high on energy but we dug in, defended solidly, quickly cancelled the home side's opener and thereafter exerted an ever firmer grip to the point where, apart from a final flourish, Northampton virtually surrendered second half.

Sixfields was no easy pitch to play on. It was slippery, uneven and there were so many mistakes that, at times,it was like watching two teams of aspiring clowns developing a circus routine what with Martin and our free-kick takers slipping over and a succession of defensive miskicks involving both sides.

But Leicester, too often beaten to the ball at first, gradually realised they had to compete first and play later and this they did before eventually making their class, their passing and their staying power tell.

Second half I thought we were excellent. We closed down fast and passed the opposition to a near standstill so that, by the last 20 minutes there were gaps opening up everywhere with Northampton only being saved by the offside flag on several occasions as City countered with their one-touch breaks.

For me the triangle formed by Howard, Cleverley and King passed the Cobblers to shreds at times. Our winning goal came from a four-pass move worthy of deciding any game and, although frustrating with his finishing, Fryatt had some golden chances to make the final scoreline even more emphatic.

The big plus for me was Cleverley. The lad can clearly play and showed a much greater understanding with King and the rest of his team-mates than previously.

It was the best I've seen Hobbs play too. He was like a colossus in the air, but there were vital interceptions too and concentration in abundance.

Howard was still man of the match because of his equalising goal and immense all-round contribution.

Disappointments included Mattock whose general play was untidy and whose booking was immature, Dyer who, despite his goal, still looked like a candle whose flame was barely flickering and Gilbert who has lately looked clumsy and uncertain where once he seemed much quicker and more incisive.

Still, three excellent and thoroughly deserved points, our 15th successive league game without defeat, two more goals, another step safely taken on the way to promotion and a second half performance that looked much closer to the sort of form that has enabled us to be so dominant this season.

Apart from having to sit among the living dead I was reasonably pleased and thoroughly enjoyed the day.

I just thought posting that after Lovejoy said "you're a big club" sarcastically to a Northampton fan and then going on to refer to them as a "tiddly team" who "raised their game" for our MASSIVE club was a bit odd really.

I don't have a problem, I'm not fussed enough about the internet to really care so I'm leaving it there.

Err, that was just a joke, it wasn't supposed to sound arrogant and knobbish :unsure: . I've stated many times how I hate the term "big club".

Just read NP's analysis of the game and imo he commands a lot of respect due to his realistic, calm way o handling situations and keeping the main goal of promotion as his only focus for now. A big pat on the back for Lloyd as opposed to the increasing criticism of his displays from some quarters and unlike the knee jerkers who re-act after one dropped point at home understands that the understanding the squad is developing is greater than the occasional shortcomings of certain individuals.

With this focus he has developed with the team, we will go and see the job through and should not underestimate this achievement -

Nigel Pearsonsblueandwhitearmy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :chant::thumbup:

I dont usally say things like this but I was in the Sixfields pub before the game and I overheard a Northampton fan speaking, he said to his mate Giles Coke had signed for us for £200,000 and wouldnt be playing today. I doubt it'll be true, just something I heard.

I heard £400,000. :unsure::ph34r:

Just read NP's analysis of the game and imo he commands a lot of respect due to his realistic, calm way o handling situations and keeping the main goal of promotion as his only focus for now. A big pat on the back for Lloyd as opposed to the increasing criticism of his displays from some quarters and unlike the knee jerkers who re-act after one dropped point at home understands that the understanding the squad is developing is greater than the occasional shortcomings of certain individuals.

With this focus he has developed with the team, we will go and see the job through and should not underestimate this achievement -

Nigel Pearsonsblueandwhitearmy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :chant::thumbup:

No-one as far as I am aware doubts the value of our squad's collective "understanding". I, and others have been critical of Dyer's individual performances, both yesterday and in other games recently, but I've still picked him in my preferred team most every week.

Dyer's been criticised by many people for one reason and that is because he's been below his best and criticism of the team after the Brighton game was for exactly the same reason - it was a below par effort and damn all to do with being "knee-jerk".

Someone made a point to me yesterday that gave great insight into Pearson's strength as a manager and that is he very rarely picks anything but the logical team. He doesn't mess it about much, just goes with the players that have delivered the points.

We might all believe that other need to be kept involved or that there are areas for improvement here or there but Pearson doesn't tinker and he doesn't go in for surprises. That doesn't negate the relevence of criticism when the team or individuals in it underperform but it has helped to develop that "understanding" you mention.

In fact, while much mention has been made of Howard's absence and the effect on our performance against Brighton I believe the point was also made with Andy King. He has long been the fulcrum of our team and, against Brighton, he had to cog in with a new midfield partner who lacked the collective understanding that Davies had.

Yesterday, with a bit more training under his belt, Cleverley looked much more glued in and the benefits to the functioning ofour midfield were obvious.

Re. penalty: I was sat among the Cobblers fans in the West Stand and the incident happened right in front of me. In my view, it was definitely a foul, but 40-60 says it was outside the area or on the edge. I was expecting a free kick right on the line. To be honest, if it had been given against my team, I'd have been disappointed. Definite foul, though, I reckon - just clumped into the back of Fryatt after he'd got wrong side of him.

You couldn't say the referee was over-dramatic in giving it though. We were on the opposite side and I only realised it was a penalty when Steve Howard started walking towards the spot with the ball.

I told me oldest lad it was a penalty and he just laughed and said "you wish". He honestly couldn't believe it and confessed he had no idea why. He just thought play had been sstopped for the injury to Fryatt.

None of us had any idea whether the decision was correct either in terms of a foul or where it was but it certainly seemed fortuitous given the likelihood of a goal from the situation. But, daft penalties against us have cost us dearly in the past so I've no grumbles at all and we certainly used the moment as a stepping stone towards our eventual victory.

Northamtpon were rarely in the game thereafter.

Err, that was just a joke, it wasn't supposed to sound arrogant and knobbish :unsure: . I've stated many times how I hate the term "big club".

Sorry, I just remembered Dagger's reply, I couldn't remember the context of your original post :thumbup:

I just assumed from Dagger's reaction that it was a sarcastic response

November - 13 points from five games.

December - 13 points from five games.

January - 13 points from five games. (another MOTM award for Pearson? :rolleyes: )

This isn't just title form, it's 100+ points-in-a-season-type form.

And apart from the Scunny and Posh games (plus a 15-minute spell against Huddersfield), we haven't had to raise our game very much to reach it.

Yesterday was a repeat of the Carlisle match in many respects - a shaky start, a goal conceded before a recovery in which we made our extra quality tell. It wasn't the prettiest of games but we got the win (and how often has that been said on here this season?).

The ability to grind out results, even when not playing well, is what sets us apart from the chasing pack like Franchise, Scunny and Millwall.

Just as folk on here speculate about the absence of Coke and Akinfenwa from the home line-up yesterday, I wonder whether the omission of Gradel and Chambers from our bench means that they could be leaving tomorrow? :(

Credit to Nigel Pearson, the club management and the team. Under regular circumstances, we would have lost such a game in the years prior to relegation. Now, you may argue that's because League One has a lower standard of football. I say, no. No matter what league you're in, opposing teams want to win as badly as you want. Especially against us (or Leeds :huh: ). With two thirds of the season coming close and us being first in the league table, I'm nothing shy of being absolutely pleased.

Additional Kudos to Milan Mandaric who, contrary to popular belief, has remained rather silent in the past few months, chosen the right guy in charge of the squad and given him (surprise, surprise) enough time to work on it. If you look back, our "hire and fire" attitude in the past few years hasn't done us any good. Stability is the key. Also, the players have so far shown that they're determined to win this season for us - but especially for them. None of those guys wants to hang around in League One for too long (now that's my own assumption).

I acknowledge the fact that the Mission Championship (and I do hope we get there again with an automatic promotion) will be a different piece of cake altogether. I assume you lot agree with me when I say I'll never want to drop back to the Third Division again. It was a shame, and it shall remain a unique case of failure.

:please: dear *censored by an atheist*, make it so the responsible forces within the club have learnt their lesson and will attack the new season with even more sense, reason, financial wisdom and intelligence.

(I know, one can still hope)

Up we go... And I'll be glad to be a witness of that reoccurring success story, with Nigel Pearson still at the helm of the team and with some good additions to the squad.

It's been a daft past five years and I'm really desperate for something uplifting to happen. Promotion. :dunno:

Sorry, I just remembered Dagger's reply, I couldn't remember the context of your original post :thumbup:

Nope - I was responding to the Cobbler being rude.

I must say that I had some sympathy for the Cobblers fans on seeing their new ground : fancy building a new ground with such a small capacity and letting their Egg Chasing Saints neighbours be the top dog in town.

The back of the only side that had what you'd call a stand looked like a sixties bus station with all those windows.

The other three sides looked like glorified bus shelters - perhaps thats what inspired the chant of "You're just a bus stop in Harborough".

All sympathy went away when the home fans took to booing Fryatt for being creamed for the penalty.

Good scrappy win, let's hope we get out of this division pronto, 'cos I don't want to have to go to places who are pushing the boat out to give us 1300 tickets.

Nope - I was responding to the Cobbler being rude.

Coolies :thumbup: , think for some reason the Cobbler thought I was lauding it about the girl having a panic attack :huh: , quite how he came to that conclusion I have no idea. I was merely saying that Me, Kareem and Crisp Monster were able to briefly celebrate our winner with no hassle from the homeboys around us.

I have no problems with Leicester at all and wish them all the best. A far better club than Big Rons Joke club P*sh and the plastic team from go gay go mk. It is a bit sad though to see you scrabbling around in League 1 arguing about how good the likes of Fryatt and Dyer are. I remember coming to Filbert Street in the cup and seeing you thrash us off the park 4-0. None of your current players would get anywhere near your squad under Martin O'Neill. Hopefully its now onwards and upwards for you!

I must say that I had some sympathy for the Cobblers fans on seeing their new ground : fancy building a new ground with such a small capacity and letting their Egg Chasing Saints neighbours be the top dog in town.

The back of the only side that had what you'd call a stand looked like a sixties bus station with all those windows.

The other three sides looked like glorified bus shelters - perhaps thats what inspired the chant of "You're just a bus stop in Harborough".

All sympathy went away when the home fans took to booing Fryatt for being creamed for the penalty.

Good scrappy win, let's hope we get out of this division pronto, 'cos I don't want to have to go to places who are pushing the boat out to give us 1300 tickets.

lol

Hobbs has stepped up and filled some of Tunchev's shadow in central defense, Hobbs was fantastic today! Also I thought that Martin had his first very good game for us, never really looked shakey.

The goal we conceaded was very unfortunate as Oakley cleared (3rd clearance!) and hit Constantine and went in :rolleyes:

It was a definate penalty, even Gray said so. their defender headded Fryatt's head on the corner of the penalty area = foul. Our 2nd goal was a good counter attack and nicely finished.

The few fans which were awake who stood and made noise were good, however they were not in good enough numbers to make a real difference, I think if we had another 50 decent fans then the atmosphere would have been better. Where do these people who you have never sen before get a prority 1 away ticket?

The "twat" who started the "Their here, their there, theie every fookin where" was a right idiot with old man sweets! Oh You can't plese everyone I suppose. I was stood with Tubes & co who were decent lads, over in the top left near the "big" :rolleyes: stand.

Their stewards were good as I was stood in the aisle for 90 minutes and the steward came up and said "I am not bothered as long as you are not stood in the aisle" When he went, we all went into the aisle and they never came back. I got told to FCUK OFF by a middle aged LCFC supporter a classy lady I think!

Great result the steamroller rolls on!

Champions!

Hobbs has stepped up and filled some of Tunchev's shadow in central defense, Hobbs was fantastic today! Also I thought that Martin had his first very good game for us, never really looked shakey.

What was he doing today then?

The goal we conceaded was very unfortunate as Oakley cleared (3rd clearance!) and hit Constantine and went in :rolleyes:

It was a definate penalty, even Gray said so. their defender headded Fryatt's head on the corner of the penalty area = foul. Our 2nd goal was a good counter attack and nicely finished.

The few fans which were awake who stood and made noise were good, however they were not in good enough numbers to make a real difference, I think if we had another 50 decent fans then the atmosphere would have been better. Where do these people who you have never sen before get a prority 1 away ticket?

The "twat" who started the "Their here, their there, theie every fookin where" was a right idiot with old man sweets! Oh You can't plese everyone I suppose. I was stood with Tubes & co who were decent lads, over in the top left near the "big" :rolleyes: stand.

Their stewards were good as I was stood in the aisle for 90 minutes and the steward came up and said "I am not bothered as long as you are not stood in the aisle" When he went, we all went into the aisle and they never came back. I got told to FCUK OFF by a middle aged LCFC supporter a classy lady I think!

Champions!

Katy? :dunno:

Just back, made it in to a weekender! Had to sit in home stand though, altho looks like quite a view did and didn't hide themselves as well as me lol!

Martin - 7 Compared to their GK, he was amazing! Did everything ok, safe and sensible. Just what's needed in a GK.

Gilbert - 6 Good game, got forward a few times and defensively ok. Not his best game though.

Hobbs - 8* Very impressed with him, commited performance in the air and on the ground. Permanent would be awesome.

Morrison - 7.5 Another good game. Becoming a solid partnership. I wonder if Brown will be able to push his way in.

Mattock - 6 Similar to Gilbert really, did ok but without ever impressing. He can and has played much better.

Dyer - 6 Not giving him extra point for the goal either like some do. Not involved enough. Not sure what's happened to him

Kings - 6.5 Few good tackles and some good play but like the rest, wasn't at his best at all.

Cleverly - 7 Woeful 1st half, hopeless balls foward. Much better 2nd half on the right. Pearson to thank for that.

Oakley - 7.5 Some nice touches and neat passes. Tried to get things going and to play on the deck unlike some others.

Howard - 7.5 Very useful player even if he doesn't score loads. Looked fit and battled well, well taken penalty.

Fryatt - 6 Lack of pace showed today. Needs his confidence and ruthlessness back in front of goal.

Powell - 6.5 Steady.

Pearson - 7 Must have been frustrating first half as can't imagine he wanted them playing like that. Yet another top decision to switch Oakley with Cleverly and probably won us the game as we looked far more dangerous. Still wonder why he persists with Dyer for 90minutes. Gradel would have been a perfect change late on. Another win though without playing well, which is a sign of a good side, very happy!!

Champions!

Some of us who've been fans for 50 years don't get priority one tickets.

I don't do bank cards or electronic payments nor do I always have the time or inclination to make a special journey down to the club.

Honestly I think the priority scheme is just another example of elitism - it even shows on here sometimes the smug way some of the priority one fans talk about anyone who's not attended the game - and it certainly doesn't encourage more recent season ticket holders to feel valued.

But then elitism is nothing new in football. Whenever we get to a Cup final there's suddenly all sorts of people who become fans and mysteriously acquire get tickets, including all the referees/linesmen etc who really deserve sod all because they've been more than well rewarded for their services as it is and should no way get priority over the fans of competing clubs.

Archived