Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

Dont forget we beat United 5-3 at home that must mean we are on the road to Champs league football next season? Basing how good you are relative to other teams over 2 games and 1 season makes zero sense

Burnley beat Man city Away and got relegated, get the point?

It's you who seems to have missed my point.

Foreign players don't choose Stoke because it's more glamourous than Leicester. Most players simply want to play in the 'Premier League'. With Cambiasso, Kramaric and now Fuchs in my opinion we are just as attractive to players as any other mid table team (note I didn't say more attractive).

Somebody said we weren't in the same bracket as other mid table teams and I disputed that with results against those teams.

For me you can split the table up as such...

Relegation battlers

Mid table teams

Teams pushing for Europe

Teams pushing for the title.

I expect us to stay out of the relegation fight this season considering we have strengthened, and Cambiasso not withstanding, have not lost anybody.

I like what Mark Hughes has done with Stoke, but I don't think anybody expects them to challenge Liverpool, Spurs and Southampton for the Europa League. That puts them into the same mid table catagory as us I think.

Relegation battlers

Mid table teams

Teams pushing for Europe

I expect us to stay out of the relegation fight this season considering we have strengthened, and Cambiasso not withstanding, have not lost anybody.

I see what you're saying but by your own definition they are currently a class above us as they were solid top 10 and we were relegation battlers - hence they are better than us at the moment.

I don't think we'll have the same problems next season either but we don't know that until happens. The fact is that they're currently a bit stronger and that's not to diminish our club in any way. Just think we need to be realistic, it's not out of the question that we might struggle next season.

Edited by Paddy.
  • Like 1

Foreign players don't choose Stoke because it's more glamourous than Leicester. Most players simply want to play in the 'Premier League'. With Cambiasso, Kramaric and now Fuchs in my opinion we are just as attractive to players as any other mid table team (note I didn't say more attractive).

Somebody said we weren't in the same bracket as other mid table teams and I disputed that with results against those teams.

Relegation battlers

Mid table teams

Teams pushing for Europe

I like what Mark Hughes has done with Stoke, but I don't think anybody expects them to challenge Liverpool, Spurs and Southampton for the Europa League. That puts them into the same mid table catagory as us I think.

I would class us as "relegation battlers" still, rather than solid mid-table! I don't think we're going to be clear of the relegation scrap this year.

I think people are overestimating mid table Premiership clubs.

There are the Champions League contenders.

There are the newly promoted sides.

Then there is the rest. At the moment we are 'the rest'.

• Like 1

It would be a step down for Nzonzi, no question.

He's 26 and POTY for a club that finished 9th. He wants Champions League football and to break into the France team for the 2016 Euros.

Why would he sign a 4 year deal at Leicester and give his best years to a team that will probably do no better in that time than what Stoke are doing now?

In The Sun today Stoke want to sign Shaqiri. He's 23 a Swiss international and played 52 games for Bayern Munich. We would have no chance of signing someone like him so why would Nzonzi leave to go to a lesser team?

Nzonzi's level is probably a first team player for Liverpool or Spurs. He'll either get the move he wants or run his contract down and move on a free in a year.

The only way he'd come here is if we threw a ridiculous amount of money at him and that's not going to happen.

Not picking on you Gerard But am I the only one that thinks this is fishy.

We want Huth and they knew that.

The same day we agree it we put in an offer for Nzonzi.

How about this Stoke know he wants out with a year left and want as much as possible.

LCFC we will offer 3m for Huth

Stoke we want 5m

LCFC ok how about 3m with 1m add on

Stoke one condition to that offer and he is your's

LCFC ok what is it?

Stoke you put in a 7m offer for Nzonzi that we refuse. We know he's off and want to inflate his price.

LCFC Deal do yo want to leak it or do you want us too?

Stoke Who gives a fvck just sign on the dotted line and TY for your business.

Not picking on you Gerard But am I the only one that thinks this is fishy.

We want Huth and they knew that.

The same day we agree it we put in an offer for Nzonzi.

How about this Stoke know he wants out with a year left and want as much as possible.

LCFC we will offer 3m for Huth

Stoke we want 5m

LCFC ok how about 3m with 1m add on

Stoke one condition to that offer and he is your's

LCFC ok what is it?

Stoke you put in a 7m offer for Nzonzi that we refuse. We know he's off and want to inflate his price.

LCFC Deal do yo want to leak it or do you want us too?

Stoke Who gives a fvck just sign on the dotted line and TY for your business.

lol. I like your style. You should be an agent mate

lol. I like your style. You should be an agent mate

But not impossible.

Think back to last summer Ulloa bid stalling we put in a bid for Deeney.

Next thing Ulloa deal is sorted but we never went back in for Deeney.

Dirty tricks are not only for agents.

But not impossible.

Think back to last summer Ulloa bid stalling we put in a bid for Deeney.

Next thing Ulloa deal is sorted but we never went back in for Deeney.

Dirty tricks are not only for agents.

There's a massive difference between having multiple irons in the fire for our own benefit, and putting one in to help someone else. What you're suggesting is we bid for N'zonzi to drive the price up for Sevilla, rather than bidding on him to try and force a decision by Caens over Kante. The latter is possible, the former is absurd - why would we care, and no deal is going to include "you bid for this guy to get his price up".

Relegation battlers

Mid table teams

Teams pushing for Europe

What I am saying is that the teams you beat over one season is not a indicator of how good you are and doesn't put you into one of the little groups that you have created.

The total sum of points at the end of the season tells you what type of team you are.

Edited by Freesolo

No not much between 8-18th lol lol heads gone. Id be happy just to stay up again.

18 points.

To put that into perspective. We made 22 points from our last 9 games of the season.

But yeah, i'm the silly one :doh:

18 points.

To put that into perspective. We made 22 points from our last 9 games of the season.

In a title form run, 18 points extra over a season is a pretty big ask that is going to take seasons of building to manage

• Like 1

Most (fans and pundits) considered us to be unlucky to be bottom for so long. If we had a fair rub of the green in terms of refereeing decisions and unlucky own goals we may have been 4-8 points better off.

With Fuchs, Kramaric, Cambiasso and Huth in from the start with a full pre-season under their belts and the rest of the squad with a seasons experience we are in a much stronger position.

vs Stoke we won one and lost one

vs West Ham we won one and lost one.

vs Swansea we won one (destroyed them whilst they were aiming for Europe) and lost one

vs Everton we got two draws

But we are not in the same bracket, yeah? Alright mate.

Quite possibly the most moronic thing ive read on FT. We beat Man Utd and lost aswel. Guess were in the same bracket as them?

If you base your football logic so low your brain must be the size of a peanut.

Most (fans and pundits) considered us to be unlucky to be bottom for so long. If we had a fair rub of the green in terms of refereeing decisions and unlucky own goals we may have been 4-8 points better off.

With Fuchs, Kramaric, Cambiasso and Huth in from the start with a full pre-season under their belts and the rest of the squad with a seasons experience we are in a much stronger position.

vs Stoke we won one and lost one

vs West Ham we won one and lost one.

vs Swansea we won one (destroyed them whilst they were aiming for Europe) and lost one

vs Everton we got two draws

But we are not in the same bracket, yeah? Alright mate.

No. We're not in the same bracket at all. By your logic we beat Man U and drew with Arsenal so we should be playing Champions League Football right? Beating a team once in a season doesn't equate to being a mid-table side consistently for 3/4 seasons and if you can't see that then there really isn't much point in having this debate. For what it's worth I think we will be in the same bracket as the aforementioned teams before too long but one season in which we survived thanks to an unprecedented run doesn't put us there yet. We need a sustained period of success and safety before we can do that. 

Come on...admit you're wrong. 

That pretty much sums it up for me.

I think that's a bit harsh. There's probably "champions league contenders", "newly promoted sides" and then "top half" and "bottom half" imo.

Southampton, Swansea, Stoke and Everton are in category "top half" and are/will be consistently a lot better than the likes of us, west brom, sunderland etc. who would be "bottom half" teams.

In a title form run, 18 points extra over a season is a pretty big ask that is going to take seasons of building to manage

If we can manage title winning form then surely mid-table form is more than do-able?

50 odd points isn't an outlandish target. Anyone that thinks it is so pessimistic it hurts.

It's a realistic target but what it has the danger of doing is applying loads of pressure when the fans will inevitably confuse a target with expectation. We could very well be in a relegation fight this year, I'm hoping we're not but if we are I won't be all doom and gloom, Nigel out, scapegoating players etc on here like I imagine 90% of posters will.

18 points.

As well as Stoke losing every game in that time, as well as ignoring the fact it's a freak run that we'd do well to replicate if we spent another five years in this division.

You have gotten utterly carried away. 20 points is enormous in this league.

I think that's a bit harsh. There's probably "champions league contenders", "newly promoted sides" and then "top half" and "bottom half" imo.

Southampton, Swansea, Stoke and Everton are in category "top half" and are/will be consistently a lot better than the likes of us, west brom, sunderland etc. who would be "bottom half" teams.

Agreed. I'd say Newcastle, Villa, West Brom, Palace & Sunderland is our category at the minute - potential trap door teams should the promoted sides perform. I do however believe over time we can elevate ourselves into the Stoke, Swansea, Southampton category but we aren't at that level yet and anyone thinking we are is deluded

I do however believe over time we can elevate ourselves into the Stoke, Swansea, Southampton category but we aren't at that level yet and anyone thinking we are is deluded

If you are referring to me, my wider point was that the lure for players is playing in the 'Premier League' to attract the interest of bigger teams. Stoke are not in Europe and aren't expected to get there just as much as we weren't relegated and aren't expected to be this season either. Thats why, IMO, the N'Zonzi move wouldn't be a downwards step but a sideways step. I don't know why everyone is losing their shit over it.

16th - 9th is nowhere in terms of player ambition. Its like two spastics arguing who is less disabled.

No. We're not in the same bracket at all. By your logic we beat Man U and drew with Arsenal so we should be playing Champions League Football right? Beating a team once in a season doesn't equate to being a mid-table side consistently for 3/4 seasons and if you can't see that then there really isn't much point in having this debate. For what it's worth I think we will be in the same bracket as the aforementioned teams before too long but one season in which we survived thanks to an unprecedented run doesn't put us there yet. We need a sustained period of success and safety before we can do that.

Come on...admit you're wrong.

I'm not wrong at all. You may disagree with my viewpoint but my comparison of results of the teams 'not in our bracket' obviously makes little sense when taken out of context in relation to the argument I was making. If we use logic alone then we could say Athletico Madrid are a more attractive prospect than Real Madrid and Barcelona because they finished above them a couple of seasons ago. Which obviously isn't the case.

Being a mid table side for 3 seasons is worth no more than being a mid table side for 1 season. I like how the majority of our fans are calling our winning run unprecedented and lucky, as if our losing run wasn't also unprecedented and unlucky.

Quite possibly the most moronic thing ive read on FT. We beat Man Utd and lost aswel. Guess were in the same bracket as them?

If you base your football logic so low your brain must be the size of a peanut.

**** off son.