Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

I'm not wrong at all. You may disagree with my viewpoint but my comparison of results of the teams 'not in our bracket' obviously makes little sense when taken out of context in relation to the argument I was making. If we use logic alone then we could say Athletico Madrid are a more attractive prospect than Real Madrid and Barcelona because they finished above them a couple of seasons ago. Which obviously isn't the case.

Being a mid table side for 3 seasons is worth no more than being a mid table side for 1 season. I like how the majority of our fans are calling our winning run unprecedented and lucky, as if our losing run wasn't also unprecedented and unlucky.

It is unprecedented - for a team rooted to the bottom of the table to go onto win that number of games and survive is something which has rarely ever been seen before. By definition it's unprecedented.  Look at it objectively, we were outside of the PL for a decade meanwhile teams like Swansea, Stoke, Everton etc have established themselves as PL teams. You've only go to look at their recent finishes to see that:

Stoke - 12th, 11th, 13th, 14th, 13th, 9th, 9th

Swansea - 11th, 9th, 12th

Everton - 4th, 11th, 6th, 5th, 5th, 8th, 7th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 11th

The lowest any of them have finished in the last 11 years (or since they joined the PL) was where we (miraculously) finished last season so you cannot tell me we're in the same bracket. It doesn't make any sense and you can't back it up with any sort of statistic or fact. 

If you are referring to me, my wider point was that the lure for players is playing in the 'Premier League' to attract the interest of bigger teams. Stoke are not in Europe and aren't expected to get there just as much as we weren't relegated and aren't expected to be this season either. Thats why, IMO, the N'Zonzi move wouldn't be a downwards step but a sideways step. I don't know why everyone is losing their shit over it.

16th - 9th is nowhere in terms of player ambition. Its like two spastics arguing who is less disabled.

I'm not wrong at all. You may disagree with my viewpoint but my comparison of results of the teams 'not in our bracket' obviously makes little sense when taken out of context in relation to the argument I was making. If we use logic alone then we could say Athletico Madrid are a more attractive prospect than Real Madrid and Barcelona because they finished above them a couple of seasons ago. Which obviously isn't the case.

Being a mid table side for 3 seasons is worth no more than being a mid table side for 1 season. I like how the majority of our fans are calling our winning run unprecedented and lucky, as if our losing run wasn't also unprecedented and unlucky.

**** off son.

Take your foot of the gas mate.

As well as Stoke losing every game in that time, as well as ignoring the fact it's a freak run that we'd do well to replicate if we spent another five years in this division.

You have gotten utterly carried away. 20 points is enormous in this league.

You're missing the point.

With 4/5 good signings we can make up 20 points on the previous season IMO.

The difference between the sides like Southampton and Swansea and Villa and Newcastle is that they have serious talent in key areas. We've got a good foundation, a few good signings could see us bridge that gap (or make a huge dent in it).

It is unprecedented - for a team rooted to the bottom of the table to go onto win that number of games and survive is something which has rarely ever been seen before. By definition it's unprecedented. Look at it objectively, we were outside of the PL for a decade meanwhile teams like Swansea, Stoke, Everton etc have established themselves as PL teams. You've only go to look at their recent finishes to see that:

Stoke - 12th, 11th, 13th, 14th, 13th, 9th, 9th

Swansea - 11th, 9th, 12th

Everton - 4th, 11th, 6th, 5th, 5th, 8th, 7th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 11th

The lowest any of them have finished in the last 11 years (or since they joined the PL) was where we (miraculously) finished last season so you cannot tell me we're in the same bracket. It doesn't make any sense and you can't back it up with any sort of statistic or fact.

I never disputed the unprecedented comment. Just that it shouldn't be used as a stick to discredit the run as being anything other than well deserved and earned by the team/club.

I'm not even sure what we are discussing now. The last six seasons are utterly irrelevant. This whole 'establishing ourselves' argument is pointless. You would have a point if we were Burnley or Blackpool who had just scraped survival on a shoestring budget. But we are historically as big as Swansea/Stoke and currently we are well placed to push on and aim for top ten, even though I think 15th-10th would be pleasing too.

18 points.

To put that into perspective. We made 22 points from our last 9 games of the season.

But yeah, i'm the silly one :doh:

9 games! That's a quarter of the season. You're being very dense here.

The difference between the sides like Southampton and Swansea and Villa and Newcastle is that they have serious talent in key areas. We've got a good foundation, a few good signings could see us bridge that gap (or make a huge dent in it).

An extra 20 points would be a ridiculous ask. That would put us above where Southampton finished, and 1 point below Liverpool.

I think you're slightly delusional.

I never disputed the unprecedented comment. Just that it shouldn't be used as a stick to discredit the run as being anything other than well deserved and earned by the team/club.

I'm not even sure what we are discussing now. The last six seasons are utterly irrelevant. This whole 'establishing ourselves' argument is pointless. You would have a point if we were Burnley or Blackpool who had just scraped survival on a shoestring budget. But we are historically as big as Swansea/Stoke and currently we are well placed to push on and aim for top ten, even though I think 15th-10th would be pleasing too.

You are right. The fact that anyone could argue Stoke or Swansea to be a more attractive club then Leicester is embarrassingly pessimistic. It's insulting to the club in all honesty.

You're under-estimating it still. Gaining 20 points more than the previous season would require phenomenal transfer business.

You are right. The fact that anyone could argue Stoke or Swansea to be a more attractive club then Leicester is embarrassingly pessimistic. It's insulting to the club in all honesty.

Jesus Christ. Really?

We're bigger than both but they're more established than us. 95% of fans would agree.

If you are referring to me, my wider point was that the lure for players is playing in the 'Premier League' to attract the interest of bigger teams. Stoke are not in Europe and aren't expected to get there just as much as we weren't relegated and aren't expected to be this season either. Thats why, IMO, the N'Zonzi move wouldn't be a downwards step but a sideways step. I don't know why everyone is losing their shit over it.

16th - 9th is nowhere in terms of player ambition. Its like two spastics arguing who is less disabled.

**** off son.

N'Zonzi is wanting a forwards step, not one that is very arguably a sideways step.

If we get him, it would be a sensational coup. Prepare to be disappointed.

Quite possibly the most moronic thing ive read on FT. We beat Man Utd and lost aswel. Guess were in the same bracket as them?

If you base your football logic so low your brain must be the size of a peanut.

The position of clubs doesn't necessarily remain static from season to season. We are an ambitious club who look to be on the up if we can maintain the momentum from the end of last season. There's an interesting comparison between us and Southampton.

In their first season back in the Prem (2012-2013) Soton finished 14th with 41 points. By the end of their next season Soton had moved up to 8th with 56 points. With the right quality of transfers in this summer there's no reason that we can't achieve the same improvement. We've made a good start in that respect and I think the key now is a quality midfielder (or two).

Just for the record, in that first season Soton also lost to, and beat, Man U. They also spent some time rooted to the bottom. Their problem, like us, was the difficulty of adaptation to the step up, and inconsistency. Their transfer record was not too dissimilar to ours. In 2012-13 their main acquisitions were Rodriguez (7.5), Ramirez (12), Davis & Yoshida (undisclosed), Clyne (compensation payment) and Boruc (free). They got rid of just one player. The next season they bought Lovren (8.5), Wanyama (12.5) and Osvaldo (15). A large amount, but it was more than offset by the sale of Shaw, Lallana and Lambert. They also shed many fringe players (including Hammond!).

So, hopefully, onwards and upwards for us!

Edited by deep blue
  • Like 1

Just one error, the penultimate sentence in my post above. Soton sold Lallana, Shaw and Lambert at the start of the 2014-15 season. Their outgoing players as the start of the 2013-14 season hardly raised any money at all - much the same situation as for us this summer, I suspect, so the comparison is all the more similar.

Edited by deep blue

You're under-estimating it still. Gaining 20 points more than the previous season would require phenomenal transfer business.

Jesus Christ. Really?

We're bigger than both but they're more established than us. 95% of fans would agree.

I can't agree that Stoke is a step up from Leicester. Sideways step it is but no more then that, it doesn't matter how long they have been in the Premier League as the 10 teams (minus the newly promoted teams) that didn't qualify for Europe have reset in terms of pulling power regardless of stature. Having said that, I highly doubt we will sign N'Zonzi if Sevilla want him as well as they can offer European football. Sevilla are a step up, Stoke are not.

So the thread has become more do we mean us than do they mean us :dunno::/

Was thinking the same thing. The last 3 or so pages are about whether we are a sidestep or step back for one of Stoke's players whilst not a single Stoke opinion is on here!

Someone find some bile on the Watford forum about Okazaki so we can see 50 posts about how he is better than Deeney.

Was thinking the same thing. The last 3 or so pages are about whether we are a sidestep or step back for one of Stoke's players whilst not a single Stoke opinion is on here!

Someone find some bile on the Watford forum about Okazaki so we can see 50 posts about how he is better than Deeney.

Every thread is like that, I went into the hottest celbs thread, theres all sorts of mingers I've never heard of, whres the quality control FFS

Sunderland forum has topics dedicated to our signings if anyone can be bothered to read. They seem to care about us more than Newcastle now which is a bit sad.

Worse still is the phunny photos thread, IT HAS GIF's in it, when the fook did GIF's become photos, stop it you Ming eating fookers
  • Like 1

Jesus Christ. Really?

To be fair, we might not necessarily have to make up 20 points this season, and the points needed could be less or by contrast more. However I'd argue that 4/5 decent players could well boost us to upper-mid table.

We have a decent foundation as it is, the front line is strong with Ulloa capable of getting the goals, Vardy not needing an explanation, Okazaki looks a strong upgrade on Nugent and Kramaric have the potential to grow. In midfield we had a strong finish with Drinkwater picking up and King being key with goals and some superb performances, whilst resigning Cambiasso would really reinforce the middle. With Mahrez, Schlupp, Fuchs and Albrighton we have a decent wing options with plenty of variety and a couple players with space to develop their game. Huth, Was and Morgan looked confident and offered a lot more as well at the back end of last season.

In my eyes, if we sign maybe 2/3 more we'll be well prepared to challenge for 9th (optimistically) to 12th. Obviously you never know but if we can keep up our strengths and the new additions come good we're looking at a good squad with many seasoned internationals and players that have several years experience in Europe's top leagues.

Sunderland forum has topics dedicated to our signings if anyone can be bothered to read. They seem to care about us more than Newcastle now which is a bit sad.

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/leicester-bid-%C2%A37m.1095856/

It's all taking the piss you know

And one on Huth - http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/leicester-sign-%C2%A33m-huth.1095881/

Edited by DB11

If this thread is now being used solely as a means of creating ammunition for fans of other clubs to use, therefore boosting the amount of things we have to talk about in here, I think AKCJ deserves some credit. Really been believing he's actually a delusional madman this week

Edited by benpicko