Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

People are always going to tip us for relegation, we're an easy pick, people need to stop being so sensitive over it

I don't know why you're defending blatant morons. I have no problem with being tipped for relegation if they can put up a strong argument for it - but they just don't. It's just full of cliches and these stupid myths that fans believe based on absolutely nothing (there's so many of them it's unreal). I said this the other day but not a single neutral has convinced me why we'll go down and to be honest given 99.9% of them watch far less of Leicester than I do, then it's going to take one hell of an argument.

• Like 2

I don't know why you're defending blatant morons. I have no problem with being tipped for relegation if they can put up a strong argument for it - but they just don't. It's just full of cliches and these stupid myths that fans believe based on absolutely nothing (there's so many of them it's unreal). I said this the other day but not a single neutral has convinced me why we'll go down and to be honest given 99.9% of them watch far less of Leicester than I do, then it's going to take one hell of an argument.

Spot on

He probably works for ESPN.

Agreed. No one has yet given me an argument that makes me think we are within the worst 3 teams in the league. It's all so far based on mythical ideas of a lack of "premier league experience", "some players didn't cut it last time so they won't this time" and "they haven't spent much so surely can't do well". My friends who support the bigger teams in the PL always give me that funny look when I say I'm confident we will stay up. I say they can underestimate us at their peril...

• Like 1

really well what did they say that was so wrong? Nugent WAS an abject failure before, he could easily be another Chopra, a championship striker, Pearson hasn't ever managed at this level, what they said is perfectly fair

He was threatened with being sold two games after a move, then shoved out on to the wing- it must've been tough for him to make an impact if the manager doesn't want you a few weeks after signing you.

Not really.

'Played in Europe' is such a pointless phrase. Who did they play? I don't think it was anyone worth playing.

You're missing the point. WE remember our time for winning trophies, for having the odd player who lit up the league (Heskey, Izzet for example). Ok so they had one memorable semi-final but still ended up empty handed and have rarely finished in the top ten. Everyone will remember them, contrary to what you're saying, but for playing utterly dreadful football. What can they look back on and be proud of, really? They've been a stain on the league and have won nothing doing so. They just exist.

Now my issue is that people are making out they've done so much better than Wigan. In what way?

This is the point I'm trying to make. We remember our time because we are Leicester City fans. Stoke, or any club, will do the same because it's their club.

If we can achieve what Stoke have achieved in their Premier League era then I'll be happy. They made the FA Cup final. 

Dunno about the Wigan thing. It's probably because Wigan survived relegation every season, but they also won the FA Cup. 

This is the point I'm trying to make. We remember our time because we are Leicester City fans. Stoke, or any club, will do the same because it's their club.

If we can achieve what Stoke have achieved in their Premier League era then I'll be happy. They made the FA Cup final. 

Dunno about the Wigan thing. It's probably because Wigan survived relegation every season, but they also won the FA Cup. 

Really? You'd be happy paying through the nose for shite (7 out of 8 seasons) football and having nothing to show for it but a 5th FA Cup Final loss?

I'll probably stay out of this debate from now because it makes me sad thinking that the best a club the size of Leicester, Stoke, Southampton etc can ever hope for now is to bob around midtable and do well in a cup every now and again.

He was threatened with being sold two games after a move, then shoved out on to the wing- it must've been tough for him to make an impact if the manager doesn't want you a few weeks after signing you.

What about his season at Burnley? 6 goals...

Really? You'd be happy paying through the nose for shite (7 out of 8 seasons) football and having nothing to show for it but a 5th FA Cup Final loss?

I'll probably stay out of this debate from now because it makes me sad thinking that the best a club the size of Leicester, Stoke, Southampton etc can ever hope for now is to bob around midtable and do well in a cup every now and again.

Yes, it makes me sad. But that's how the Premier League is. Unless we get taken over by some rich guy like Manchester City and Chelsea then we can only ever hope for a decent cup run and a solid season. There are many big clubs in the Premier League - Everton are a prime example - yet do I think they'll ever win the PL? No. They haven't got the money. Sadly, that's what it's all about these days. Money.

Yes, it makes me sad. But that's how the Premier League is. Unless we get taken over by some rich guy like Manchester City and Chelsea then we can only ever hope for a decent cup run and a solid season. There are many big clubs in the Premier League - Everton are a prime example - yet do I think they'll ever win the PL? No. They haven't got the money. Sadly, that's what it's all about these days. Money.

Must be used on Tinder immediately.

• Like 1

What about his season at Burnley? 6 goals...

It was only two behind Steven Fletcher who has been transferred since for millions of pounds. Nugent's situation is different now, as I've outlined before, he's had four seasons of respectable goal returns and a manager who believes in him.

Agreed. No one has yet given me an argument that makes me think we are within the worst 3 teams in the league. It's all so far based on mythical ideas of a lack of "premier league experience", "some players didn't cut it last time so they won't this time" and "they haven't spent much so surely can't do well". My friends who support the bigger teams in the PL always give me that funny look when I say I'm confident we will stay up. I say they can underestimate us at their peril...

I just don't get why people believe in these theories, these common mis-conceptions yet year after year they're proven to be bullshit - yet the next year you get the same nonsense being chirped out every time.

In a way I like it because I think if we do stay up it'll prove a lot of people horribly wrong, that doesn't mean it isn't daft in my opinion that people are paid money to sit there and churn out the same crap every year.

It was only two behind Steven Fletcher who has been transferred since for millions of pounds. Nugent's situation is different now, as I've outlined before, he's had four seasons of respectable goal returns and a manager who believes in him.

Nugent started 20, sub on 10. 1874 minutes at a ratio of 62.4 minutes a game. Which is just over half of a seasons minutes.

Basically a goal every 3.4 games (90 mins). If you divide that across a full season of minutes, it equals 11 goals which would be a respectable return.....

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

really well what did they say that was so wrong? Nugent WAS an abject failure before

Nugent scored 6 goals in 30 games (20 starts, 10 sub) in a terrible Burnley side. To but that into content:

Frazier Campbell - 6 in 37

Jelavic - 4 in 25

Shane Long - 7 in 30

Nugent unfortunately suffers the same fate as Heskey with regards becoming a national laughing stock. Had he never been called up to England and scored that goal he'd not even register with people.

Edited by Babylon

And the last 2 cost Hull £15m. He's a different and better player than he was 6 years ago, he didn't have the easiest time at the club for reasons highlighted above and still did ok, if he can score 1 in 3.4 for us this year we'll all be happy, but given the improvement of the player and the stability, if he gets a run in the team I fancy he'll do well.

Nugent scored 6 goals in 30 games (20 starts, 10 sub) in a terrible Burnley side. To but that into content:

Frazier Campbell - 6 in 37

Jelavic - 4 in 25

Shane Long - 7 in 30

Nugent unfortunately suffers the same fate as Heskey with regards becoming a national laughing stock. Had he never been called up to England and scored that goal he'd not even register with people.

Another one - Andy Johnson (the bald one) made a career out of one season for Palace where he bagged penalty after penalty. Shamefully he played 8 times for England - of course he didn't score - and no one ever registers that he's actually a pile of wank and has a shocking scoring record. Nuge, in comparison, gets pilloried because he nicked a goal against Andorra whilst playing for PNE.

Another one - Andy Johnson (the bald one) made a career out of one season for Palace where he bagged penalty after penalty. Shamefully he played 8 times for England - of course he didn't score - and no one ever registers that he's actually a pile of wank and has a shocking scoring record. Nuge, in comparison, gets pilloried because he nicked a goal against Andorra whilst playing for PNE.

Slightly harsh C-man, Johnson scored 32 in 2003/2004 and 15 in 2005/2006 either side of that Premier League season. His record at Birmingham, Fulham and QPR is very poor though.

You are aware of our history aren't you? We haven't been in a FA cup final for over 40 years.

The best we can hope for is mid table, now we achieve that is entirely up to us.

You are aware of our history aren't you? We haven't been in a FA cup final for over 40 years.

The best we can hope for is mid table, now we achieve that is entirely up to us.

Erm yes but I don't see how that's relevant to the point that I made? My point is that knowing that we will forever be unable to challenge for a league title because of the way football has gone is disheartening.

Erm yes but I don't see how that's relevant to the point that I made? My point is that knowing that we will forever be unable to challenge for a league title because of the way football has gone is disheartening.

We've challenged for it twice in our history, once in 1928/9 and the other time being 1962/3. In the last 50 years we've not come close, so really nothing has changed. 

Edited by fleckneymike

We've challenged for it twice in our history, once in 1928/9 and the other time being 1962/3. In the last 50 years we've not come close, so really nothing has changed.

True, but between 1962/63 and the introduction of the Premier League, 9 different sides won the league and another 11 came second or third, including far smaller sides than City (Watford, QPR etc). That's almost a quarter of the Football League.

Those finishing 1st, 2nd, 3rd over the next forty years will almost certainly be from a maximum of 7 teams - that's sad.

True, but between 1962/63 and the introduction of the Premier League, 9 different sides won the league and another 11 came second or third, including far smaller sides than City (Watford, QPR etc). That's almost a quarter of the Football League.

Those finishing 1st, 2nd, 3rd over the next forty years will almost certainly be from a maximum of 7 teams - that's sad.

True, but those 9 teams were 

Everton x 4

Liverpool x 13

Man Utd x 2

Man City x 1

Arsenal x 3

Derby x 2

Leeds x 3

Forest x 1

So in 30 years a third of titles were won by one club

In the 20 years of the Prem

Man Utd 11

Blackburn x 1

Arsenal x 3

Chelsea x 3

Man City x 2

Lets see after a decade whether a further 4 clubs can sneak a win. The 'BIG' switch is Liverpool's domination moving to Manchester. The 'Fergie' effect is now over so the playing field will be far more even, just as happened when the 'boot room' effect left Anfield.

{various nonsense about ESPN}

Did you actually watch the video? I can't imagine what you thought defensible about the whole thing. The facts were mostly wrong (some catastrophically), the insight was zero, the video of us was 3 years old, the whole thing was a waste of pixels. Leicester fans wouldn't have learnt anything new which is acceptable for a 4 minute vid, but I doubt any other football fan would either...

"Top scorer Nugent, notable signing Ulloa" "Well they'll need to sign someone to complement Nugent..." FFS!

It was a piece of crap. No problem with people picking us for the drop-there are some cases to be made (notably our poor record with set pieces in either direction). But those three hadn't seen, heard or read anything about us, didn't know who our players are, don't know what NP is about and for a professional outfit it was a disgrace.

It's still being overly sensitive about stuff though. We went under the radar last season quite a bit and it worked in our favour so I've no problem being written off this season before a ball is kicked.

I'm very confident we will surprise more than most and will cause a couple of big upsets or two

• Like 1