Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

Dear God that Stoke forum. Hope they are still reading because I can't wait to finish above the cretinous fvckers this season. The irony of them claiming we have ideas above our station when they are perhaps the most irrelevant side in the Prem makes me laugh.

Everything about us screams better than them. Our players, our manager, our fans, our hools, our stadium (new and old; the Garry Parker Ground was the only old school ground that I was happy got levelled), our City, our train station, our boozers, our kit, our owners (fvck off Bet365 you robbing bstards), our style of play etc etc I could go on.

No need to hold back, tell us what you really think lol 

Since the Stoke link is from a thread entitled "Leicester fans predictions" and basically scrapes a thread from this site, I'd say we're not the only ones in the universe.

I would imagine every club has a similar thread, because it's interesting to see yourself through the eyes of other football fans. I'm not insecure enough to check though...

i was going to say, every football forum in the universe apart from stokes, because no-one likes them, they don't like anyone and they are super insecure.

Stoke. A shit club who think they're massive due to mediocre stay in the prem. Well done lads.

Anyway, makes me laugh that people think Burnley will finish above us. We played them off the park for one and a half games last season and they've hardly made any significant signings.

Apart from the points, goal difference, home wins, away wins, overall wins, we weren't statisically best in the division at anything meaningful, other than shots on target.

Edited by Corky
  • Like 1

I don't understand the majority of Premier League fans. (And by that I mean glory dicks, not football fans that happen to support a team in the PL). It seems really common that they're happy to pass comment about teams they clearly know nothing about, and feigning knowledge on the subject, it's creepy.

I like to keep an eye on the lower leagues when the season is on, but I wouldn't pass a comment like "Rotherham going straight back down. Never heard of any of their players, going to struggle for goals." Also, although of course it's possible, the amount of people who are thinking QPR will do well and we'll be relegated. Surely a bit of logic tells you the team that amassed 102 points and has only added to its squad will probably perform as well if not better than the FFP-timebomb that scraped through the playoffs with an underperforming squad? Or is it a case of "Harry Redknapp? I've heard of him. Rio Ferdinand?! I've heard of him too! QPR will have a good season"

Don't know why it's bothered me as we have nothing to lose really but I really want us to wallop a big team or two. Although I'll settle for just humiliating QPR live on Sky. Have ol' twitchy jiggling his stupid cheeks in disbelief.

Also - any person on Facebook that's clearly never been to a match, let alone being born/living within 8,000 miles of their "team" saying "Welcome to the Premier League" - they can f**k right off too.

I hate the Premier League already! You're all twats

lol lol lol

I kind of want Burnley to succeed too, because they have been put together on a shoestring, similarly to us (by Prem standards and excluding Ulloa). Unfortunately, Dyche is such a massive chode using his small budget as a rich oil for his daily ego massage that I kind of want to see them eff off just so we don't have to suffer his media persona anymore.

QPR can sod right off. I'd rather tape my face to one of 'Arry's jowells than see them survive with their asylum for overpaid flops.

• Like 2

Guest ttfn

I kind of want Burnley to succeed too, because they have been put together on a shoestring, similarly to us (by Prem standards and excluding Ulloa). 

1) You can't just exclude Ulloa!

2) Ours and Burnley's wage bills and squad cost were nowhere near comparable last year. Granted we weren't "big-spending Leicester" any more, but comparing us with Burnley is pretty disingenuous.

Guest ttfn

Nowhere in any of these previews does it come across just quite how dominant we were last season.

Now in 2014-15 everybody will be starting on 0 of course, but with the level of performance we demonstrated last season we'd have finished well clear of relegation in the Premier League according to any kind of metric which attempts to measure that sort of thing.

For instance, The Times' Fink Tank had almost nothing between Stoke and us by the end of last season.

http://www.dectech.co.uk/football/gamesim.php (follow link, click Leicester, Stoke and neutral venue).

Statto.com's index, based on form over the last 50 games and weighted for strength of opposition, has us down to finish in a similar position to what you would infer from the above (10th).

http://www.statto.com/football/odds/ratings

To be honest I would be really surprised if we went down. This has got nothing to do with arrogance - any objective attempt to measure how we are likely to do next season suggests that we'll stay up and fairly comfortably so.

What will be interesting is how we react to the fact that it seems likely that we'll be bottom of the league, or at least in the bottom 3, at the end of September given our run of fixtures.

If somebody thinks that we'll go down and is willing to back it up with reasoning having actually watched this squad of players before, it doesn't bother me, it's their opinion, of course. Just because somebody thinks we might struggle / get relegated it doesn't make them "less knowledgeable" about the sport, as some on here would like to think.

However it'd appear that most of those that think we're certs for relegation have either never heard of half of our players, are seriously underestimating our acheivements in amassing so many points last season, or are under valuing the quality of the league we did so well in.

That Stoke forum is ugly as sin and is a perfect case in point; instead of judging this set on a 46 game season appear to be judging our reserves from a one off game just after a terribly difficult run of fixtures over Christmas.

1) You can't just exclude Ulloa!

2) Ours and Burnley's wage bills and squad cost were nowhere near comparable last year. Granted we weren't "big-spending Leicester" any more, but comparing us with Burnley is pretty disingenuous.

Well I can really, because aside from him, we haven't paid a penny for any of our signings this summer, and we hardly spent big to acquire our acquisitions before. Am I right in thinking that Vardy was the last player we signed for any great sum (£1 Million)? Even Drinkwater came for an undisclosed fee which was supposedly no more than a few hundred thousand, while James and De Laet came for a similar price as one deal. The likes of GTF, Was, Phillips and Hammond were all signed on frees and did a great job, while the magic pair of Mahrez and Knockeart only set us back around £1 Million between the pair of them, despite bogus reports claiming they cost more. You have to go back to the 2012-13 season, and the likes of Wes for £1 Million, and Wood for £2 Million, to find any Pearson signings bought with serious money. Likewise, very few of Sven's players survive - Schmeichel, Nuge and Konchesky, Konch's fee was undisclosed, but again supposedly only a couple of hundred grand, it was the same for Kasper, and Nuge came on a free. The rest of the squad are academy products.

Yes, I can accept that we have an inflated wage structure compared to Burnley, no thanks to Sven, but even his surviving players were actually signed for very little, and have all taken pay cuts in staying here. The gap between transfers really isn't as wide as some people make it out to be. And compared to a good chunk of Championship clubs, we've been incredibly thrifty over the past couple of years. Our squad's total costs are paltry compared even to perennial Premier League strugglers like the West Broms, Aston Villas and recently-departed Fulhams of this world.

Dyche's bullshit claims that his squad doesn't deserve scrutiny because it 'didn't cost much' was almost always aimed at us last year, when in reality the backbone of what won us the league was put together for next to nothing. It's not as if his squad magically spawned from thin air either - the likes of Trippier, Shackell, Mee and Kightly all cost them decent money by Championship standards. Even the pairing of Vokes and Ings, who have won many plaudits and who many mistakenly believe to be Burnley academy products, were signed for £350k and £1 Million respectively. And they've just signed Jutkiewicz for £2.25 million - which, Premier League or not, is a fortune by the miserly standards Dyche claims to be working under. He's spouting absolute rubbish.

Actually, that's incredible - excluding Ulloa, Chris Wood is currently the most expensive signing we have anywhere near our first 18.

Edited by bluesbrothers
  • Like 1

Guest ttfn

Well I can really, because aside from him, we haven't paid a penny for any of our signings this summer, and we hardly spent big to acquire our acquisitions before. Am I right in thinking that Vardy was the last player we signed for any great sum (£1 Million)? Even Drinkwater came for an undisclosed fee which was supposedly no more than a few hundred thousand, while James and De Laet came for a similar price as one deal. The likes of GTF, Was, Phillips and Hammond were all signed on frees and did a great job, while the magic pair of Mahrez and Knockeart only set us back around £1 Million between the pair of them, despite bogus reports claiming they cost more. You have to go back to the 2012-13 season, and the likes of Wes for £1 Million, and Wood for £2 Million, to find any Pearson signings bought with serious money. Likewise, very few of Sven's players survive - Schmeichel, Nuge and Konchesky, Konch's fee was undisclosed, but again supposedly only a couple of hundred grand, it was the same for Kasper, and Nuge came on a free. The rest of the squad are academy products.

Yes, I can accept that we have an inflated wage structure compared to Burnley, no thanks to Sven, but even his surviving players were actually signed for very little, and have all taken pay cuts in staying here. The gap between transfers really isn't as wide as some people make it out to be. And compared to a good chunk of Championship clubs, we've been incredibly thrifty over the past couple of years. Our squad's total costs are paltry compared even to perennial Premier League strugglers like the West Broms, Aston Villas and recently-departed Fulhams of this world.

Actually, that's incredible - excluding Ulloa, Chris Wood is currently the most expensive signing we have anywhere near our first 18.

How many £1 million + players are in the Burnley squad? 3? 5? (Including 1 they bought this summer who we have to discount if we're discounting Ulloa).

There's a world of difference between saying that we didn't spend much over the last couple of years (true, although an accounting loss of £30m suggests otherwise) and that our spending has been comparable to Burnley.

Also, no idea where you're getting your figures/dates from - Wood was signed after Vardy, Konchesky was widely reported to have cost over a million, Knockaert too (I can't imagine that, even if the initial fee was under a million, it would have stayed that way after promotion. Drinkwater was widely reported as £1 million and James and de Laet were £2 million for the pair. Hammond didn't sign on a free. Schmeichel cost over £1 million.

Agree about our squad's cost being trifling compared to Villa, WBA and so on, but you were comparing us to Burnley, which I don't think places in context the achievements at that football club relative to the budget available.

The only teams in the championship capable of competing with us financially were Forest and QPR (who could out-muscle us last year given their flagrant disregard for FFP) and the parachute clubs.

Because they haven't watched the championship for the last 8 years.

I think it's quite simple why we keep being plucked for 20th by premier league "fans" and I use that term loosely.

QPR are a London club and have happy Harry in charge, the man of the people.  They have seen them throw the GDP of a small country at survival and promotion regularly and expect them to do so again.

Burnley are the small fry underdogs, the team people hope do well, seen as gritty and spirited and are there without throwing "many pound notes".

We fall in between we're not seen as a bit glam like QPR signing rickety Rio and his shitty baseball caps. And we aren't the tiddlers who everyone wants to stick it to the man. We're probably still seen as boring, defensive, long ballers (a tag that has stick for the last 20 years) with a boring functional manager.

They look at people like Konch and Nugent who seem to have fallen in the Heskey type area of ridicule. (Even though they aren't bad players.) and write us off... ignoring the dozens of "flops" at the other promoted clubs.

I'm happy for us to fly under the radar like we did last year.

I love that bit!