Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

This is an incredibly open question but can anyone recommend quite a long comedy/sitcom show (4/5 seasons or more)?

My taste (in rough order) is

Seinfeld

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Fawlty Towers

The Office

Peep Show

Phoenix Nights

and to a lesser degree, Frasier, Big Bang Theory and Friends

Looking for something to shove on now and again but with quite a few episodes.

3 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

House of cards is amazing I rate it higher than sopranos and breaking bad, I may stand alone in that opinion but it is a brilliant show if you watch all of the series.

You've convinced me. I'm in tonight and there's fackall on so I'll give it another go. :thumbup:

1 minute ago, Max Wall said:

This is an incredibly open question but can anyone recommend quite a long comedy/sitcom show (4/5 seasons or more)?

Seinfeld

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Fawlty Towers

The Office

Peep Show

Phoenix Nights

It’s Always sunny in Philadelphia is pretty good if you haven’t seen it.

• Thanks 1

Guest seanfox778
5 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

Seinfeld

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Fawlty Towers

The Office

Peep Show

Phoenix Nights

Scrubs is quite an easy watch and easy to get into. 

Always Sunny is good, like Strokes said. Parks and Recreation is worth a watch too.

Edited by seanfox778

5 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

Seinfeld

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Fawlty Towers

The Office

Peep Show

Phoenix Nights

Have you seen the us office 

1 minute ago, seanfox778 said:
3 minutes ago, Strokes said:

It’s Always sunny in Philadelphia is pretty good if you haven’t seen it.

3 minutes ago, seanfox778 said:

Scrubs is quite an easy watch and easy to get into. 

Thanks.

I'll give them both a go. If anyone else replies, thanks in advance but I have a feeling I have very few reps left so I possibly won't be able to 'thank' in that way. I have to keep what I have for when the Messi to Leicester thread starts in the transfers section.

The League - If you like fantasy football leagues between mates (It's NFL but you don't really need any knowledge of the sport). Very funny show, especially Jason Mandzoukis. 

The Ranch - Netflix original with Sam Elliott who's great, Ashton Kutcher and Danny Masterson (who steals the show). It's more of a drama comedy and it takes a bit of getting into the early episodes but it gets really good. 

The Good Place - Kristen Bell and Ted Danson. She dies and gets sent to heaven by mistake after being a horrible person. Quirky but decent. 

30 Rock too if you've never seen it. Alec Baldwin is very funny. 

All on Netflix. 

14 hours ago, Max Wall said:

Seinfeld

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Fawlty Towers

The Office

Peep Show

Phoenix Nights

The US Office (Give it two seasons to settle)

Brooklyn 99

15 hours ago, Unabomber said:

I'm such a big fan of the UK version, I've never even watched a single episode.

You're not the first to say watch it but I've resisted until now. Not sure why really as I generally like US comedies.

Maybe I should just give it a go.

15 hours ago, Unabomber said:

1 minute ago, Max Wall said:

I'm such a big fan of the UK version, I've never even watched a single episode.

You're not the first to say watch it but I've resisted until now. Not sure why really as I generally like US comedies.

Maybe I should just give it a go.

British comedy doesn't seem to translate well to the US.

The fact that they felt the need to re-cast it put me off.

1 hour ago, ozleicester said:

The US Office (Give it two seasons to settle)

Brooklyn 99

Both you and Unabomber have suggested this so maybe I should just give it a go. I really have resisted until this point. I think mainly for the reason Buce has listed below. I have watched all of Brooklyn 99, Samberg ls great in it and supported by a pretty good cast.

I seem to remember him being in the first series of cuckoo and he was good too (think it was called Cuckoo, the series with the 10 foot tall British comedian, can't remember his name, Greg someone). 

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

British comedy doesn't seem to translate well to the US.

The fact that they felt the need to re-cast it put me off.

I think that's what has always put me off too.

13 hours ago, lcfcsnow said:

I gave up after the first episode, maybe I should try it again

You definitely should.

Not sure how reps work on this site, was going to give you a thumbs up but I'm 'out of reactions'. A little strange seeing as it's a new day and I've just got up.

Anyway, The Sopranos is definitely worth persevering with in my opinion.

Edited by Max Wall

Just given up on Westworld (Season two ep 4) they are just filling it with BS now

Just Started Narcos, Ep2 and enjoying

Narcos is awesome. One of my fave shows. I've not got around to watching S2 of Westworld yet, have heard differing reports, so am slightly hesitant. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

Both you and Unabomber have suggested this so maybe I should just give it a go. I really have resisted until this point. I think mainly for the reason Buce has listed below. I have watched all of Brooklyn 99, Samberg ls great in it and supported by a pretty good cast.

I seem to remember him being in the first series of cuckoo and he was good too (think it was called Cuckoo, the series with the 10 foot tall British comedian, can't remember his name, Greg someone). 

Series one of the office is a straight copy of the UK one and it doenst work... but as the characters develop and change it is brilliant... possibly my favourite US comedy ever'

9 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Series one of the office is a straight copy of the UK one and it doenst work... but as the characters develop and change it is brilliant... possibly my favourite US comedy ever'

I think that's why I've been resistant. I should know by my age that you usually have to stick with something until you start to get an affinity with the characters. I had to do that with The Wire in the first season and that is right up there for me.

If it's among your favourite US comedies, that's high praise indeed. I'm overly critical of the USA in general but they do know how to do great comedy series (amongst other things of course, they're not all bad!)

12 minutes ago, Countryfox said:
18 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Narcos is awesome. One of my fave shows. I've not got around to watching S2 of Westworld yet, have heard differing reports, so am slightly hesitant. 

I have heard good things about Narcos but haven't watched it yet, I think because I enjoyed The Wire so much which is a pretty silly reason not to watch it.

Just now, Max Wall said:

I think that's why I've been resistant. I should know by my age that you usually have to stick with something until you start to get an affinity with the characters. I had to do that with The Wire in the first season and that is right up there for me.

If it's among your favourite US comedies, that's high praise indeed. I'm overly critical of the USA in general but they do know how to do great comedy series (amongst other things of course, they're not all bad!)

As an aussie, we get A LOT of US tv... much more than i remember getting back in 2010-11 in the UK. and  a lott of it is very very poor!

The US office has some brilliant smaller characters that develop and like the UK it is about cringe... and i wont lie, some of it goes too far... but the writing and humour is hihger quality than usual US stuff.

I like all of the shows youve listed (or i did at the time, lol Seinfeld has begun "age" ) but The office kills them all... i have watched it through (9 seasons) 4 times and i still flick it on when im looking for a lazy laugh