Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

For those of you who like your true crime, and documentaries in the mould of Making a Murderer, the Staircase, The Jinx etc. I'd give the new Netflix doc "Evil Genius" a go.

It's not as strong, narratively... And doesn't keep you guessing in the same way as the above, but the case is so absolutely bizarre, it's quite fascinating. 

Read up on it if you want spoilers, but it's about the case of Brian Douglas Wells, who walked into a Pennsylvania bank in 2003 carrying a homemade shotgun and wearing a sophisticated collar bomb and demanded $250,000, stating he was forced into it. It didn't end well for him.

Didn't quite work for me. As you say, narratively it didn't work as well as the other modern docs you've mentioned and I felt none of the subsequent episodes were as good as the first. Still a decent watch though.

I'm on to the more classic documentary stylings of The Vietnam War by Ken Burns. Absolutely fascinating for those interested in geo-political history, but not for the faint of heart due to some of the stills he uses and the running time of each episode - 1h23m is the shortest I think!

I know it's not new but somehow I've never seen the Louis Theroux gambling episode until just now. **** me that's depressing. Watching a guy saying he's finishing up now to go to a meeting  whilst still feeding $100 bills into the machine and not even looking at the machine and saying he doesn't have a problem will stick with me. 

On 18/07/2018 at 15:17, Finnegan said:

Season one of Orphan Black was fun, she does a great job of so many characters. The neurotic stepford wife was especially good. 

The writing got very shit beyond that though. 

She was my favourite, until the blonde Russian assassin appeared in the later episodes. I could relate to her a lot more :D 

On 13/06/2018 at 23:30, foxfanazer said:

Currently watching The Staircase on Netflix. Quite similar to Making a murderer. Loving it so far

Just finished Making a murderer on Netflix. I was absolutely glued to it for the entire 10 hours.  

It is the most depressing thing I think I have ever watched. Regardless of whether Avery is actually guilty or innocent, the Machiavellian behaviour of the Wisconsin police and justice departments is frightening. It's such an unbelievable story, I started to think it was a mockumentary about 6 episodes in and it would end with someone saying 'fooled you' in the last episode.

If you don't mind me asking, what are your thoughts on the verdicts if you have finished watching it?

On 18/07/2018 at 18:19, chuck'em said:

I know it's not new but somehow I've never seen the Louis Theroux gambling episode until just now. **** me that's depressing. Watching a guy saying he's finishing up now to go to a meeting  whilst still feeding $100 bills into the machine and not even looking at the machine and saying he doesn't have a problem will stick with me. 

I went to Las Vegas in the late 90's and I was astounded at the amount of people sat on chairs, plugging fruit machines constantly for hours on end and rarely even looking at the screen. 

3 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

Just finished Making a murderer on Netflix. I was absolutely glued to it for the entire 10 hours.  

It is the most depressing thing I think I have ever watched. Regardless of whether Avery is actually guilty or innocent, the Machiavellian behaviour of the Wisconsin police and justice departments is frightening. It's such an unbelievable story, I started to think it was a mockumentary about 6 episodes in and it would end with someone saying 'fooled you' in the last episode.

If you don't mind me asking, what are your thoughts on the verdicts if you have finished watching it?

I love the access all areas nature of it and the intricacies of such cases.

Avery most probably did do it and I’ve seen things about Brendan Dassey’s search history on his computer about mutilation and murder etc which throws shade on his character. I found the question of innocence and guilt was insignificant by the end of it. The tampering and sometimes complete fabrication of evidence should’ve been enough to have it thrown out of court.

They obviously had a vendetta against Avery for his previous case where he sued but it’s scary to think that they can do that to someone.

So have you watched The Staircase yet? I actually found this one more flabbergasting than Making a murderer. The defence lawyers in both documentaries are superb

• Like 1

On 17/07/2018 at 22:12, Izzy Muzzett said:

Best show ever mate.

I've watched it all twice and really tempted to go for a third helping

Similar. I'm considering going for it again.

It's a toss up between that and watching The Wire for a third time, which is also incredible. Have you seen it? You have to stick with The Wire to start with as the Baltimore street slang can be very difficult to understand in season 1 but once you are hooked, you really are hooked. Each season looks at the city from a different perspective (drug dealers, police, politicians, unions) with the main characters running through them all.

If you haven't seen it, it really is worth a watch. I'd put it alongside Breaking Bad and there's no bigger compliment than that.

It doesn't have the comedy running through it like Breaking Bad does but it's engrossing.

Edited by Max Wall
  • Like 2

On 17/07/2018 at 22:07, Costock_Fox said:

Started on Breaking Bad again, big mistake.

On 17/07/2018 at 22:12, Izzy Muzzett said:

Best show ever mate.

I've watched it all twice and really tempted to go for a third helping

What happened the second time mate ? ...   did it still end the same ? ....

3 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I love the access all areas nature of it and the intricacies of such cases.

Avery most probably did do it and I’ve seen things about Brendan Dassey’s search history on his computer about mutilation and murder etc which throws shade on his character. I found the question of innocence and guilt was insignificant by the end of it. The tampering and sometimes complete fabrication of evidence should’ve been enough to have it thrown out of court.

They obviously had a vendetta against Avery for his previous case where he sued but it’s scary to think that they can do that to someone.

So have you watched The Staircase yet? I actually found this one more flabbergasting than Making a murderer. The defence lawyers in both documentaries are superb

IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED THE NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY MAKING A MURDERER DON'T READ THIS POST. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO HIDE IT AND DON'T WANT TO BE A SPOILER.

That's interesting. I've just finished it so haven't looked for any information about them yet. Maybe that will change my mind.

I never really wavered throughout in thinking they were both innocent though the search history you mention doesn't look good.

I'm well aware that, for them to be innocent, either someone else killed Teresa and the bones were moved there or, even worse, the police would have had to have killed her. That does seem like an incredible leap of faith to believe that but I woul

dn't rule it out in Hicksville, USA. 

What I found incredible was Avery's demeanour throughout. He never once got angry or even raised his voice. Pretty incredible when you consider he'd already done 18 years for a crime he was proven not to have committed. 

I hadn't even heard of 'The Staircase' but if you found it more flabbergasting than the Avery case it will be the very next thing I watch so thanks for the heads up. :thumbup:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

What I found incredible was Avery's demeanour throughout. He never once got angry or even raised his voice. Pretty incredible when you consider he'd already done 18 years for a crime he was proven not to have committed. 

I hadn't even heard of 'The Staircase' but if you found it more flabbergasting than the Avery case it will be the very next thing I watch so thanks for the heads up. :thumbup:

Let me know what you think  when you’ve finished it

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

Similar. I'm considering going for it again.

It's a toss up between that and watching The Wire for a third time, which is also incredible. Have you seen it? You have to stick with The Wire to start with as the Baltimore street slang can be very difficult to understand in season 1 but once you are hooked, you really are hooked. Each season looks at the city from a different perspective (drug dealers, police, politicians, unions) with the main characters running through them all.

If you haven't seen it, it really is worth a watch. I'd put it alongside Breaking Bad and there's no bigger compliment than that.

It doesn't have the comedy running through it like Breaking Bad does but it's engrossing.

I've never seen The Wire mate but I've heard many good things about it - might give it a go.

I'm tempted to watch the Soprano's again as it's been a while now since it was first on, but not sure I can be arsed to invest the time

Just now, Izzy Muzzett said:

I've never seen The Wire mate but I've heard many good things about it - might give it a go.

I'm tempted to watch the Soprano's again as it's been a while now since it was first on, but not sure I can be arsed to invest the time

I was going to mention The Sopranos then didn't. I really enjoyed it but I've never revisited it yet. Fantastic series though.

Guest seanfox778

I've seen the Soprano's 3 times now and I'm due a 4th, going to get that party started when I return home in August. 

On 21/07/2018 at 13:13, foxfanazer said:

Let me know what you think  when you’ve finished it

Quick update.

Binged on the first 8 episodes over the weekend so I have just seen the verdict, no more. I thought he was guilty from the start, my gf thought he was innocent from the start. 

I have enjoyed it so far but not as much as Making a Murderer.....yet. There's still 5 episodes to go so I'm guessing there's quite a bit more to the story, I'll let you know what I think once I've watched the remaining episodes. Certainly better than anything on the box over the weekend so thanks again for the heads up.

• Like 1

On 21/07/2018 at 13:26, Izzy Muzzett said:

The Wire >