Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Interesting news topics.

I thought of starting a new thread entitled "Wolves set to dominate Europe" just to entertain @The Bear but didn't want to cause annoyance...

Any thoughts on this? I knew there were a few wild wolves in Spain and Eastern Europe, but didn't know they'd spread across the whole continent...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jan/26/harmless-or-vicious-hunter-the-uneasy-return-of-europes-wolves

"The wolf is on the rise in Europe. This winter it finally reconquered Belgium, the last mainland European country from which it had been absent after decades of persecution. After crossing the Alps from Italy to France in 1992 and from Poland into Germany at the turn of this century, the wolf has slipped into densely populated territory where people have no memory of living alongside it. Experts say Germany’s wolf population is growing “exponentially”– and spreading, into Luxembourg, the Netherlands and Denmark, which discovered its first wolf pack for 200 years last spring".

Interesting point here..

"According to Chapron, Europe must learn from Africa. “It’s insulting to the world that one of the richest countries, Norway, cannot have more than 50 wolves, considering Botswana, Mozambique and other extremely poor countries in Africa, are working really very hard to keep their lions. Imagine the outcry if those nations sought to kill half of their lions? We can’t even say Norway is trying but failing – it’s government policy to have as few wolves as possible. “We need African countries to teach us, rich Europeans, how to live with predators.”

I suppose, because we're an island, the only way we'd end up with wolves in the UK is if they were reintroduced deliberately (or via zoo escapes - one got out the other day, but was recaptured). Difficult to imagine them surviving and being accepted in most parts of the UK, except somewhere like the Scottish Highlands, maybe? Cannot imagine sheep farmers or the general public being happy to have wolves running around the Peak District, say. But it sounds as if they're in quite close proximity to humans on the continent - and wolf attacks on humans are very unusual, as I understand it....

12 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I thought of starting a new thread entitled "Wolves set to dominate Europe" just to entertain @The Bear but didn't want to cause annoyance...

Any thoughts on this? I knew there were a few wild wolves in Spain and Eastern Europe, but didn't know they'd spread across the whole continent...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jan/26/harmless-or-vicious-hunter-the-uneasy-return-of-europes-wolves

"The wolf is on the rise in Europe. This winter it finally reconquered Belgium, the last mainland European country from which it had been absent after decades of persecution. After crossing the Alps from Italy to France in 1992 and from Poland into Germany at the turn of this century, the wolf has slipped into densely populated territory where people have no memory of living alongside it. Experts say Germany’s wolf population is growing “exponentially”– and spreading, into Luxembourg, the Netherlands and Denmark, which discovered its first wolf pack for 200 years last spring".

Interesting point here..

"According to Chapron, Europe must learn from Africa. “It’s insulting to the world that one of the richest countries, Norway, cannot have more than 50 wolves, considering Botswana, Mozambique and other extremely poor countries in Africa, are working really very hard to keep their lions. Imagine the outcry if those nations sought to kill half of their lions? We can’t even say Norway is trying but failing – it’s government policy to have as few wolves as possible. “We need African countries to teach us, rich Europeans, how to live with predators.”

I suppose, because we're an island, the only way we'd end up with wolves in the UK is if they were reintroduced deliberately (or via zoo escapes - one got out the other day, but was recaptured). Difficult to imagine them surviving and being accepted in most parts of the UK, except somewhere like the Scottish Highlands, maybe? Cannot imagine sheep farmers or the general public being happy to have wolves running around the Peak District, say. But it sounds as if they're in quite close proximity to humans on the continent - and wolf attacks on humans are very unusual, as I understand it....

Reintroducing wolves to Scotland has been under serious consideration for a while now, Alf, as a measure to control Red Deer populations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33017511

As for Spain, there is a healthy breeding population of a few thousand Iberian wolves (a sub-species of the Grey Wolf), mainly located in Northern regions.

https://blog.nationalgeographic.org/2016/11/07/big-bad-challenges-for-spains-rebounding-wolves/

Edited by Buce

1 minute ago, Buce said:

Reintroducing wolves to Scotland has been under serious consideration for a while now, Alf, as a measure to control Red Deer populations.

As for Spain, there is a healthy breeding population of a few thousand Iberian wolves (a sub-species of the Grey Wolf), mainly located in Northern regions.

I knew there were wolves in Spain. What I didn't know was that they're now in every country in continental Europe.

I remember hearing the odd suggestion of wolves being reintroduced in Scotland. Didn't know there was a serious prospect of it happening, though.

Thinking about it, I've encountered bulls and aggressive dogs when out walking. Would wolves be any more dangerous, given that they mainly avoid humans?

There'd presumably have to be protective measures for livestock, though, and close monitoring of populations and the movement of packs - might be problematic if wolves started becoming urban like foxes have done! :D

I can imagine there being a lot of opposition, though, unless they were in very remote areas such as the Highlands.

Scottish Highland wolf introduction is viable because the sheep farmers view is irrelevant since their practice is a. unproductive and b. not profitable. The only way these farmers make a living is through subsidies and there is richer land available where sheep can graze healthily in a much smaller managed area.

1 minute ago, Alf Bentley said:

I knew there were wolves in Spain. What I didn't know was that they're now in every country in continental Europe.

I remember hearing the odd suggestion of wolves being reintroduced in Scotland. Didn't know there was a serious prospect of it happening, though.

Thinking about it, I've encountered bulls and aggressive dogs when out walking. Would wolves be any more dangerous, given that they mainly avoid humans?

There'd presumably have to be protective measures for livestock, though, and close monitoring of populations and the movement of packs - might be problematic if wolves started becoming urban like foxes have done! :D

I can imagine there being a lot of opposition, though, unless they were in very remote areas such as the Highlands.

I've encountered wolves in the Pyrenees and they seem to have an instinctive fear of humans.

24 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Scottish Highland wolf introduction is viable because the sheep farmers view is irrelevant since their practice is a. unproductive and b. not profitable. The only way these farmers make a living is through subsidies and there is richer land available where sheep can graze healthily in a much smaller managed area.

Canine > sheep.

15 minutes ago, Gred42 said:

Why i need to be approved by a moderator after i post,and no moderator approves my post:blush:

Because you have no history of posting so we don't know if you're a spammer or not.

Secondly, being a moderator is not a full time job, we approve posts when we have the time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, leicsmac said:

A short featurette on the Space Shuttle Columbia, lost with all hands 15 years ago today.

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/science-environment-42894001/space-shuttle-columbia-crew-who-never-came-back

A rough road leads to the stars.

We beat Palace that day. This did take the edge off that a bit

2 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Derby woman arrested on suspicion of arson re. the Nottingham train station fire: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-42918004

Good to see that the Forest/Sheep rivalry is ongoing and that they still don't care about us. 

The lengths to which people will go to avoid going back to Derby. :nono:

• Haha 1

On 1/27/2018 at 17:58, Alf Bentley said:

On 1/27/2018 at 18:01, Buce said:

I've encountered wolves in the Pyrenees and they seem to have an instinctive fear of humans.

I really hope they are not introduced ...    a lot of people will disagree with it and they will be hunted for sport.  Modern thermal imaging telescopic sights make it very easy to hunt at night ...   the people doing it will not be controlled in any way and many of the animals will be badly wounded and left to die in pain.