Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

Peterborough Post-Match Thread (2-1 away loss)

With Dull losing this was a big opportunity missed now, Pearsons tactics could be questioned as I thought James would be starting although if hes not fully fit then fair dues... although at the end of the day the team didn't turn up so we can't put the blame on Pearson to much, the players had enough to get the win today but for whatever reasons it wasn't me to be.

Lets hope we can bounce back with another 5 straight wins.

Few things to say.. seems to be a recurring theme now.

BOTH goals came down Konchesky's side when he had bombed forward and/or made an error. He is a liability and cost us today. Keane also equally at fault for both goals for not dealing with an easy ball (should have smashed it into Row Z but let it bounce) and for not covering Konchesky.

We started poorly but rarely looked threatened and were more than happy to sit and look to hit Peterborough on the counter but Knockaert was largely kept quiet and stopped this from happening to an extent. As Drinkwater managed to get the ball down more and orchestrate, we looked more and more dangerous and deservedly got our goal. In total control until that screamer and after that was awful. Waghorn should have buried that sitter and the penalty on Morgan was STONEWALL! Plus another potential shout on De Laet. Referee was pathetic, awful, seems like one of those arrogant pricks who has let the power get to his head. Massive home ref.

I think the problem with Waggy is he needs to be playing week in week out to play his best and he, more than most, needs a run of games to get himself going. Earlier in the season he had this and he was playing well. Now he's been back on the bench he's always going to struggle to make an instant impact.

On the game in general, we did well to take our chance but then went to sleep when we got it. I can only hope this is a reality check and a wake up call for some who seem to have been playing on cruise control the last two weeks.

Few things to say.. seems to be a recurring theme now.

BOTH goals came down Konchesky's side when he had bombed forward and/or made an error. He is a liability and cost us today. Keane also equally at fault for both goals for not dealing with an easy ball (should have smashed it into Row Z but let it bounce) and for not covering Konchesky.

We started poorly but rarely looked threatened and were more than happy to sit and look to hit Peterborough on the counter but Knockaert was largely kept quiet and stopped this from happening to an extent. As Drinkwater managed to get the ball down more and orchestrate, we looked more and more dangerous and deservedly got our goal. In total control until that screamer and after that was awful. Waghorn should have buried that sitter and the penalty on Morgan was STONEWALL! Plus another potential shout on De Laet. Referee was pathetic, awful, seems like one of those arrogant pricks who has let the power get to his head. Massive home ref.

There second was started by De laet giving the ball away as we were attacking.

Waggy is a form player. He needs a run of games. Everyone seems to have forgotten how good he was when we went on a run earlier in the season...

This is a fair point, however even if Waggy started in every game he would still only be a 10 goal a season player and Vardy not even

that.

This is a fair point, however even if Waggy started in every game he would still only be a 10 goal a season player and Vardy not even

that.

Ye there's no denying he's not an out and out goalscorer. But he offered so much more with his hold up play, strength, work rate etc... all of which seem to have somehow disappeared. Thing is, no team has more than 2 proper goalscoring strikers do they?!

Still no-one has commented on Pearsons crazy choice of king over James?

And Vardy over Wags?

Daft management?

Perhaps James was not fully over his injury/illness? Im sure on present form he would be picked over King normally

I would of perhaps gone with Waghorn instead of Vardy personally Col

Im sure this result is only a mere blip on an upward curve generally for us

Upthe Foxes

And Vardy over Wags?

Daft management?

First question: Agreed, it seemed silly, particularly considering King played midweek for Wales and James' recent form but then again Pearson kept James' injury/illness/fallout very quiet, who knows? So we don't know the full story as to why King started over James.

Second question: Vardy over Waghorn wasn't a bad decision imo. Vardy did well, won his fair share of headers, made some clever runs, decent link up play and as always worked hard. Didn't put a foot wrong at all and should Wood be out for a few games, I'd certainly like to see Vardy be given a decent run in the side. Although, I would like to see Schlupp recalled from his trial and whacked up front.

And Vardy over Wags?

Daft management?

I rate Matty James, really like the lad, but I think putting him on the bench was understandable.

He was just coming back from a knock probably wasn't 100% fit, so why risk him for a whole 70-90 minutes?

James needs to be put back in soon, but I can see why he was on the bench and not starting today.

Vardy on the other hand was a terrible decision, it is like Waghorn debacle when he was off form, how many chances does he need to prove himself, he hasn't taken any of his chances and has played rubbish for months, sometimes I feel Pearson fails to see the things fans do.

Col plenty of talk pre match and once team was out for james in front of king and possibly as well as.Neither vardy or waghorn are keep ball more flick on and hope for the best.tryers but neither really hold up.BBc has us with 13 shots (11 ot)posh with 14(9 ot) so even game in that area

King played well - a pretty standard King display. Mopped up nicely.

Thought DD was very poor today. Routinely lost the ball in midfield. He is a key player for us - the man who makes us tick - but when we plays like he did today (miscontrolling the ball, misplacing passes) it affects the whole team.

We must find a way to get Knockaert on the ball more. He barely touched it in the first half, was excellent for 10 minutes either side of our goal and then drifted out again.

Vardy isn't good enough. I don't understand Waghorn - one game he looks like a competent Championship centre forward, the next like a competition winner.

All that said I can't really understand how we lost that game. Posh were dreadful. We certainly weren't anywhere near our best but even then I thought we did more than enough to win the game.

Must bounce back.

Thought DD was very poor today. Routinely lost the ball in midfield. He is a key player for us - the man who makes us tick - but when we plays like he did today (miscontrolling the ball, misplacing passes) it affects the whole team.

We must find a way to get Knockaert on the ball more. He barely touched it in the first half, was excellent for 10 minutes either side of our goal and then drifted out again.

Vardy isn't good enough. I don't understand Waghorn - one game he looks like a competent Championship centre forward, the next like a competition winner.

All that said I can't really understand how we lost that game. Posh were dreadful. We certainly weren't anywhere near our best but even then I thought we did more than enough to win the game.

Must bounce back.

Agreed about DD. Certainly keeps the ball moving for us and when he is on the ball a lot and playing well we do play well.

Also we were most dangerous when Knocky finally got on the ball for an extended period, threading people in behind and his trickery turning defenders inside out. Failed to get it to him far too much!

Evening all, just read through the bulk of this thread, FWIW it is mostly bollox...... :rolleyes:

It wasn't the team selection, the formation or even the tactics.

We simply stopped playing after an hour, simple as that........ :thumbdown:

First half we were ok, not great but perfectly decent against a Posh side that looked well up for it. We looked good at times with Posh looked anything but relegation fodder but I thought we should be able to step up the pace in the second half and put them away.

And, to be fair, that is exactly what happened for the first 15 or so minutes of the second half, we upped the tempo, got forward in numbers and looked different class. Scored an excellent goal and threatened another and then, quite suddenly and for no obvious reason, we stopped playing.

We sat deep, virtually our entire midfield playing just in front of our back 4, even Nugent and Vardy were coming back to defend, Knockaert was our only outlet and he was well marked and totally unsupported. We cleared the ball and it kept coming back, time and time and time again........ :/

The Posh goals seemed inevitable, so much pressure, we were bound to cave, and we did, not once but several times and were lucky to get away with 2-1. What is crazy is that we have seen that before, Barnsley, Derby even Middlesboro (where we were really lucky), it's predictable and it could cost us promotion.

Well, that's the first of the 10 "easy" games we're supposedly going to win behind us - and we've come home with sod all.

And one of the big reasons is the continual and inexplicable reliance on Waghorn. i've never seen the guy as a striker for countless reasons that have already been explained and which were emphasised again today.

Waghorn had one golden chance to save our embarrassment nd flatter us with a draw. Dyer worked the chance with his pace and directness, delivered the perfect pull back and Waghorn in typical fashion ballooned the ball high over the bar from 8 yards or so, failing completely to even hit the target or test the keeper.

Meanwhile the technically more gifted Futacs wasted yet more energy with his seemingly season-long warming up exercises on the sidelines - a big, strong presence on just the kind of afternoon when we needed some height and strength.

Pearson has experienced the tight Peterborough ground on many occasions. It is never the best place for pitta-patta-passing. And more expecially with today's surface being wet, slippy, inclined to get cut up and when the home side weree closing us down faster than Woolworths shut their high street stores...and with as much steel as they used for the locks.

Today was a day for getting the ball forward into the penalty box and feeding off the consequences and Waghorn was never likely to help in that direction.

Posh deservedly won 2-1 today but they were also streets ahead of us on attitude too. What, one of my matchday friends wondered, was the factor that has left a seemingly skilled and competitive Posh languishing at the bottom of the league? And the answer to me seemed to be a vulnerable defence.

We didn't make lots of gilt-edged chances but it didn't seem especially difficult to get through or behind the Peterborough defence except that, once we went ahead, we didn't try any more until we'd gone behind.

It was the day Pearson's cautious negativity in certain circumstances came unstuck as many of us knew it would. So often he refuses to follow us getting a lead by pressing the opposition high and tight. Instead, all our ambition disappearred, we voluntarily retreated and invited Peterborough to do their best to break us down - which they did with relish.

And they achieved the breakthrough by having untracked runners attack the space behind defenders - not once but many times - until, eventually, the barrier broke.

Basically we allowed Peterborough to play to their strengths and, only in the last 10 minutes of the game - when chasing an equaliser - did we show what could have been had we done the pressing and shown the conviction to attack at pace from the flanks instead of crowding the space inside.

And quite why Futacs wasn't there to supplement that barrage I've no idea. Because Waghorn has shown next-to-nothing for weeks.

Must bounce back.

King did play well generally - making some vital defensively headers in particular - and perhaps he should have been more selfish in shooting himself when bursting through the centre to create an excellent chance down in the inside-left channel which might well have won us the match.

But I'd still like to see who allowed free runners to chase behind our defence during Peterborough's purple patch.

Yes, Konchesky's attacking had left the open space but City are familiar with that aspect of his play and someone should have covered him and someone else should have tracked the runners. These are basics which require disciplined awareness and effort rather than any special skill, but we were just slipshod.

Archived