Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ThurnbyLodgeFox

It's not only a game!

I was going to start a similar topic myself. I was thinking about this quite a bit yesterday...

A few years ago when we got relegated to League One it made me take stock of how much I invested emotionally in Leicester City. Years of watching people such as Andy Johnson, Elvis Hammond and Geoff Horsfield turn in awful performances or show nothing other than a desire to be at the club for a final pay day rather than to achieve anything or be part of something had taken it's toll and I reached the point where I genuinely thought "one more year, I'll give this club one more year and if this carries on I can't be bothered with it anymore". The continual disappointment and let downs had tested the resolve.

Then Nigel Pearson came along and created a team and a togetherness, gave us two of the most enjoyable years supporting Leicester that we'd had in a long time. Effort, commitment and passion, culminating in that night in Cardiff which, whilst disappointing, epitomised the collective spirit and sense of belonging. The bug was back and I was in deep again.

The Sven era was exciting but that engagement began to waver. Watching Matt Mills wear the armband and clearly have no care for anything other than his ego, watching Jermaine Beckford earn a fortune yet this not be reflected in the effort he showed, watching expensive loanee after loanee come in and do next to nothing. Almost everything about that night in Cardiff had been taken apart destroyed.

But earlier this season we started to get a little bit of that back. Thinking of players that now play for the club that I genuinely dislike because of a lack of effort, plain common sense or ability I can think of just two (Kane and Whitbread), whereas under Sven I could name near enough five. And even my dislike for those two is nothing like that I had for Mills and Beckford, and I guarantee neither are earning anything approaching as much. I guess what I'm trying to say is Nigel Pearson, whatever his faults, creates teams that you can engage with and, at the very least, more often than not you are able to say that anything they haven't achieved isn't for the want of trying.

Yesterday, after that full time whistle I felt the lowest I've ever felt as a Leicester fan. A real mix of shock, disappointment and despair. No matter how much experience has told me not to 'get too involved' with Leicester, it's hard not to. From that feeling before the match of nervousness to the utter low afterwards... Leicester City changes me physically and emotionally. And it's out of my control.

For that alone, it's more than just a game. When I count the things that can affect my mood for a whole day (even two - that low feeling still lingers today) there are few things with that power. Yes, there are far more important things in life (family, health, job) but Leicester City is up there and that should never be discredited.

My Dad passed away on Christmas Day. He was 88, and his time had come, so although it was hugely sad, it wasn't a tragedy. On Boxing Day we were grinding out a draw at Hull. I felt numb at my loss, but what did I do even though my family was around me? I listened to the game on Radio Leicester? Of course I did.

Leicester were a huge part of my Dad's life, my life, and now my son's life. We all know it is daft to some extent. but at least it shows we really believe in something, and that we can be really loyal to something that kicks us in the teeth more often that it rewards us.

It is very much part of our lives, of what defines us. Nothing to be ashamed of, frankly, even if many, even those who know us well, think we're daft!

Fantastic post buddy... You've hit the mark there

And I'm sorry for your loss..

My dad died of Cancer 6 years ago yesterday and he was only 60. I'm not ashamed to say that watching the game yesterday took my thoughts away from my dad, for a while and onto something else I've always been passionate about. That's not to say football is the be all and end all, of course it's not, but it's always been a big part of my life, and who I am.

First post in a long time. I was at the front when the penalty was given the last words that parted my lips on Sunday were "stay calm don't jump on yet (meaning the pitch) he hasn't scored it yet) now to me it seemed a comical statement because I had one foot on the wall ready to be the first one over. I knew he would score I knew we would win and i wanted to be on that pitch celebrating with them. Que in 30 seconds from that feeling of heat euphoria and happiness to hugging a steward crying into his high vis jacket as 3 stands erupt onto the pitch to celebrate Warfords "amazing" comeback. I don't know how I drove home I don't remember any of it and all I remember is coming home with my brother and just staring into space for a good 3 hours not saying a word. There are no right words to say, no one understands what happened on Sunday it just feels so much more than a loss and I don't know why that is maybe if i did I'd have moved on by now but nothing feels remotely over or normal. Yeah I guess it's a just a game though as my girlfriend said to me "cheer up it's only a game of football"

I was going to start a similar topic myself. I was thinking about this quite a bit yesterday...

A few years ago when we got relegated to League One it made me take stock of how much I invested emotionally in Leicester City. Years of watching people such as Andy Johnson, Elvis Hammond and Geoff Horsfield turn in awful performances or show nothing other than a desire to be at the club for a final pay day rather than to achieve anything or be part of something had taken it's toll and I reached the point where I genuinely thought "one more year, I'll give this club one more year and if this carries on I can't be bothered with it anymore". The continual disappointment and let downs had tested the resolve.

Then Nigel Pearson came along and created a team and a togetherness, gave us two of the most enjoyable years supporting Leicester that we'd had in a long time. Effort, commitment and passion, culminating in that night in Cardiff which, whilst disappointing, epitomised the collective spirit and sense of belonging. The bug was back and I was in deep again.

The Sven era was exciting but that engagement began to waver. Watching Matt Mills wear the armband and clearly have no care for anything other than his ego, watching Jermaine Beckford earn a fortune yet this not be reflected in the effort he showed, watching expensive loanee after loanee come in and do next to nothing. Almost everything about that night in Cardiff had been taken apart destroyed.

But earlier this season we started to get a little bit of that back. Thinking of players that now play for the club that I genuinely dislike because of a lack of effort, plain common sense or ability I can think of just two (Kane and Whitbread), whereas under Sven I could name near enough five. And even my dislike for those two is nothing like that I had for Mills and Beckford, and I guarantee neither are earning anything approaching as much. I guess what I'm trying to say is Nigel Pearson, whatever his faults, creates teams that you can engage with and, at the very least, more often than not you are able to say that anything they haven't achieved isn't for the want of trying.

Yesterday, after that full time whistle I felt the lowest I've ever felt as a Leicester fan. A real mix of shock, disappointment and despair. No matter how much experience has told me not to 'get too involved' with Leicester, it's hard not to. From that feeling before the match of nervousness to the utter low afterwards... Leicester City changes me physically and emotionally. And it's out of my control.

For that alone, it's more than just a game. When I count the things that can affect my mood for a whole day (even two - that low feeling still lingers today) there are few things with that power. Yes, there are far more important things in life (family, health, job) but Leicester City is up there and that should never be discredited.

Excellent post

Fantastic post buddy... You've hit the mark there

And I'm sorry for your loss..

My dad died of Cancer 6 years ago yesterday and he was only 60. I'm not ashamed to say that watching the game yesterday took my thoughts away from my dad, for a while and onto something else I've always been passionate about. That's not to say football is the be all and end all, of course it's not, but it's always been a big part of my life, and who I am.

Many times already I've thought to myself after a game 'I'll just phone Dad', as that's what we did. No doubt our Dads, wherever they are, will be saying something along the lines of 'typically bloody City'. 60. Far too young. I don't know if your Dad was a City fan, but I have to say the shared bond of grandfather, son and grandson watching and talking football, mainly City, the anticipation, the highs, the lows, well, it's one of the most enjoyable things there is. All the best to you

Why do people say it in the heat of the moment? Such a stupid thing to say to people who obviously care and are full of emotion.

In a day or two everything will be fine but at that moment you don't want to hear it, however meaningful (and correct) it is.

It is only a game, especially when put into persepctive with other things in your life, but it's just that we all feel so passionate about something that didn't go right :/

In the general context of live/death, war, murder, rape, illness etc yes it is only a game.

But what other game do you invest so much emotion, time and money.

I wish I could have the attitude it's only a game, a job is only a job, nobody died.

But I can't because at the end of the day, I work hard to give my kids the best I can and when I have gone home at the end of the day and seen them and spent time with my wife.

Saturday ( or everyday in our case this season ) comes and I go invest my time and effort in to LCFC. Because I enjoy following my club up and down the country. Because it's part of who I am and has been in my life for longer than most things other than my family and will be there until I die.

So today I feel like shit and that's just the way it is, I really felt we had enough to at least make the day out at wembley this time round, The 27th is going to be one hollow day this month.

So yes it is just a game, but it's a game that gives huge highs and massive lows, today is a low, on weds I will pick myself up go sort my season ticket renewal and look forward to next season.

As for anyone being told it's just a game by someone who has no interest in football, I've got news for them, Eastenders, Corrie and whatever other crap you enjoy. That isn't real, the emotions of a football fan are.

COYB. We go again.

In three hours time, I will have had a smalll tumor chopped out of my hand and will spend the next week or so waiting for the biopsy to come through. Disappointed as I am about yesterday, I know which result my kids and I are really hoping goes our way - and it's not the one from yesterday. You need to get out and about a bit more, methinks.

:scarf: TrentFox. :scarf:

When some of you young bucks go through the pain of losing close family members then you will realise it IS only a game....Its okay though...cos when i was young and carefree football WAS the be all of life....Its just how it is...Blue Army!

That's a ridiculous statement, just because it doesn't compare to losing a family member doesn't stop people from being disappointed. With that mentality no one could ever be sad because there is always something worse that could happen.

It isn't only a game, it's something we invest a lot of time, effort and money into. Granted it isn't the same as losing a loved one but what relevance has that got?

When you do put it into perspective with tragedies, it's obvious it'll come out smaller, but there's no way it's "only a game". You don't travel up, down, left and right across the country to watch "only a game". You don't spend daft amounts of money to watch your hometown club play "only a game". As ThurnbyLodgeFox eluded to, I was unable to talk yesterday and couldn't fathom what I'd just witnessed, whereas tragic matters in other countries didn't leave me in that way. Obviously it's not as big as bereavement or creating a family, but it's still massive.

:scarf: TrentFox. :scarf:

Thanks for that - I think ??

Right. Lump out. Hand sore. Back to FT !!  Three hours at an NHS hospital means I am now well and truly over yesterday, although thoroughly enjoying this thread. We are all passionate about supporting our football club. Like everyone else on here, I found the first couple of hours post-match difficult to swallow. But I genuinely think that most people, a few hours after that, can contextualise the events against a broader view. Even being ferried around that hospital today, I see people who have so very little hope. I see frontline staff working their nuts off, taking a torrent of abuse from drunk psycho's who cannot understand why they had to wait an hour to have some amazing medical procedure carried out. I'm sorry for those who don't get this, but those pictures will pre-occupy my thinking this evening more than a guy on 20k a week miss the opportunity to earn some very rich people some more money. Am I disappointed for us as fans ? Of course. I would love to take my kids to see Manchester Utd rather than Yeovil. But I honestly reckon they won't really give a monkeys in 10 years time. As some of you on here have already alluded to, what they will remember is the passion of their old man for this great sport and this great club; the sharing; the joy of winning and learning to cope with the despair of losing. Sounds like a great lesson for coping with life in general, to me ! I get deflated in the immediate aftermath of such a result the same as the next person, but it genuinely isn't THAT important. And, even if for you it IS that important, there's now fvck all you can do about it. So are you going to sit there moping about your bad luck, or come back ready to shout and sing and cheer even louder next season in the hope it might add a couple of points to our total ? Now that might make a difference. And so concludes today's lecture. Apologies !!

If I didn't feel as passionately about Leicester City as I do, do you think I would spend £550 on a season ticket? I don't do it for fun, I do it because I feel that I need to be there, the football club is apart of my character and history as a person.

So don't tell me to think there are more important things in life, yes there are, but not at that moment in time, not even fecking close!

LCFC is not a hobby for me, it is apart of me. Without my love for this club I wouldn't watch football, I think it's shite and has lost it's traditions.

Archived