Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

Chris Wood

Before anyone jumps squarely upon their high horse, this IS NOT a vendetta against Wood...

What's the general consensus on the player?

He joined on scintillating form, both for the Lions and then for us. However, his form has dipped, he looks unhappy and reports are of a possible injury?

If I didn't know that Wood had looked so good previously, I'd wonder now whether Nige had spent a million quid on a donkey?

Do people consider that Wood will be the striker we need for the coming years? Is he as good as we all thought? Or would you be looking at signing someone else to play alongside Nugent? (If you wanted to play Nugent of course). Some folks have mentioned Ebanks-Blake... Would he be any better or do you rate Wood and want him in the starting 11 next season?

Opinions please...

He's excellent.

Tries to control the ball at every opportunity rather than flicking it on. Can finish and when he plays with aggression, cant see many coping with him.

He's been suffering with illness for a couple of weeks but still been playing which shows commitment and he's nowhere near the age where strikers reach their peak so a real good buy.

He's never going to score if we just keep lumping balls up to him constantly. The games he's played well were when we were still keeping the ball down, as soon as teams found us out and we started playing hoof ball again his form dropped.

I think he's brilliant! It just showed what an impact he had on the game on Sunday when he went off. Had he stayed on the pitch, no way would Watford have controlled the game like they did second half. The runs that he makes are intelligent, something that we've lacked since Fryatt left really. For a big man, he tries to play on the floor too and he's only 21, exciting times ahead.

Pearson stated Wood wasn't affected by his penalty miss away at Blackpool a game where we squandered another two points.

Well he ruddy well was!! His performances since have been mediocre but aren't we the graveyard for strikers. Just look at Beckford, Vardy & Waghorn.

If he's been carrying an injury like I think he has then his form of late I forgive- looks to me like he can't/won't jump, he's easy to mark, doesn't rough his marker up enough for his size etc. if all of that is down to injury that's fine. If its not, then he's nowhere near good enough.

I don't know whether he can't control the ball properly or he's just injured, he was able to before the Peterborough game so a good signing. Need to stop lumping it up to him all the time (Yes you SchlHOOF and KonchHOOFsky)

Before anyone jumps squarely upon their high horse, this IS NOT a vendetta against Wood...

What's the general consensus on the player?

He joined on scintillating form, both for the Lions and then for us. However, his form has dipped, he looks unhappy and reports are of a possible injury?

If I didn't know that Wood had looked so good previously, I'd wonder now whether Nige had spent a million quid on a donkey?

Do people consider that Wood will be the striker we need for the coming years? Is he as good as we all thought? Or would you be looking at signing someone else to play alongside Nugent? (If you wanted to play Nugent of course). Some folks have mentioned Ebanks-Blake... Would he be any better or do you rate Wood and want him in the starting 11 next season?

Opinions please...

Looking at him I wonder how he's scored all those goals - He gives carthorses a bad name.

The first time Kane has played centrally rather than outside left he looked a massive improvement on Wood.

It's not Wood's lack of goals in his poor form, I believe form is temporary and can be improved on... it's that he links up appallingly can neither retain possession on the ground or in their air, his inclusion in the team therefore was a hindrance rather than a positive.

I don't know if he's got the ability or not, during Nugent's barren run he was taking one for the team, putting a shift in whereas Wood doesn't.

However... I think Wood should be given the benefit of the doubt & we should take stock over the coming weeks and the management get to grips with his true ability or frame of mind to do a job for us.

I just think we'll have to see next season. If we keep the hoof approach that has appeared this side of January then, despite being a big guy, he's going to be useless. He's not good at winning the ball. He seems like a proper striker who wants it to feet and be able to finish from anywhere.

End of the day, regardless of ups and downs with form, hes hit 20 goals this season for us and Millwall.  If he goes and scores 20 for us next season, which will no doubt also include purple patches and dips in form would we be happy.  I for one, would say yes

When we stopped playing to his strengths and started hoofing the ball up to him was when his performances turned.

We were all lauding him for the first two months whilst he was here. You don't become a bad player over night.

I admit we have not seen the best of Wood since his injury, but it has to be more than our playing style or putting him out wide.

He's just not at all competent at the moment, he's been sluggish, weak and disinterested. You can't just blame his form on Pearson's errors.

Maybe he is playing with an illness, but it's not just been a couple fo weeks, we're talking months here. Until he sprung into life against Forest, you could have asked similar questions about Nugent.

When we stopped playing to his strengths and started hoofing the ball up to him was when his performances turned.

We were all lauding him for the first two months whilst he was here. You don't become a bad player over night.

what you said!

The mare he had at Blackpool with missing the pen and the open goal seemed to affect him confidence wise.

If we had wood from start then I think we would have picked up even more points pre-jan when we creating lots of chances, playing well but not picking up wins.

It wasn't long ago since the allegations that Pearson pinned him to the wall or something (if true) - around a month ago, I think?

From this assumption, Wood's performances has been rather woeful for around a month.

It wasn't long ago since the allegations that Pearson pinned him to the wall or something (if true) - around a month ago, I think?

From this assumption, Wood's performances has been rather woeful for around a month.

:rolleyes:

So what's that now, Pearson pinned him to a wall, Wood Shagged his daughter, Marshall and Wood had a fight.

What happened to Nugent, did Pearson do something to him as well considering he's been woeful for the same amount of time.

We haven't been playing the ball in the right areas for him, plus he seemed to play very sluggish, his movement hasn't been there for me. He is capable of holding the ball up and bringing others into play, I don't really see anything in this hoof ball stuff, it's those stupid silly chip balls that De Laet and Konchesky/Schlupp do which are annoying, and have no effect to them. Also when Schlupp had a run in the side up front, for some reason the defenders were chipping balls into him, when he was being marked by defenders like Curtis Davies who absolutely dominated him. There was a few games where it seemed Pearson was playing Wood out wide for some strange reason, we were never going to get anything out of him, if we played him in that position. 

He scored against Bolton though, then followed it up by scoring against Crystal Palace, the team as a whole deserved credit for the win against Forest, while I've seen Wood play much better, but I didn't think he was that bad against Watford in the play-offs. 

We will need to sign another striker anyway, because we really have to ship Vardy and Futacs out because they will offer us nothing next season. We need to try and get in a cheaper option who is capable of scoring 10-15 goals a season, therefore I think someone like Scott McDonald would be a good buy, as he is out of contract in the Summer, and finished as Middlesbrough's top goalscorer this season. 

Archived