Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Derby post match thread 0-1

I'd be interested in people's thoughts as to whether they'd like to see us Cardiff/Hull our way to promotion or play like we did in the first 15 games of last season and stay in the Championship.

Ideal world, you get both. But if I had to choose, the second one looks very tempting.

Stay playing entertainingly.

I'd be interested in people's thoughts as to whether they'd like to see us Cardiff/Hull our way to promotion or play like we did in the first 15 games of last season and stay in the Championship.

Ideal world, you get both. But if I had to choose, the second one looks very tempting.

win the FA cup and play in the championship

Obviously not gelling yet, but as long as we can eke out points, we can't complain.

Is that really a valid comment? It's the same team as last year, you'd have thought they'd have 'gelled' during last season.

Regardless it's not really a gelling problem, we're winning, we're doing ok, so far. Long may it continue and the goals follow.

Think it's about getting the balance. Grind out wins when we have to, entertain when we can. There will be games when we will return to our free flowing football, but early on in the season, it's good to show some steel too and to keep in touch at the top, rather than having to play catch up after 10 games.. 

Don't know if they are still suffering a hangover from last season, but other than Morgan and Moore the rest look off the pace and seriously lacking confidence, can't complain to much as we have 7 points, but they will defiantly need to have a bit more about us by the Wigan game, and cut out the missed passes, as the teams up till now haven't punished us cheaply conceding possession.

Are you Serious?

The gap between the championship and Premier League will only get bigger....especially wit FFP.

We need to get there as soon as possible.

We won the f**king game I would take scrappy 1-0 wins if it means automatic promotion at the end of the season.

Defensively we were solid which is very pleasing obviously we are toothless upfront at the moment but hopefully we will improve as the season goes on.

Are you Serious?

The gap between the championship and Premier League will only get bigger....especially wit FFP.

We need to get there as soon as possible.

If that meant signing a team full of rapists would you want us to do it?

Promotion is not the be all and end all. In my 10 years of following this club the best six weeks were mid-September to the end of October last year. We played lovely stuff and were getting results.

As others have said, hopefully we're just adding the steel to support the excitement. Time will tell.

We won that is the important thing but we've got to be grateful that Derby were poorer than us. Once again another pretty dull performance, something isn't right the team's confidence really looks low. Okay we're unbeaten but i do fear one big defeat could knock the team's confidence even lower. The team sheet sounded exciting, the idea of three upfront was going to be good but the problem was we had three strikers who didn't have a clue what to do, cause of that they got in each others way.

I'm still trying to work out why Pearson changed the formation yet we we're winning 1-0! okay a change was needed but did we have to change the formation! Couldn't we just take off Vardy and bring on Knocky or Waggy upfront with Nugent and Wood or even take off Vardy and bring Bakayogo play him in the left back position pushing Sclhupp upfront... No instead we switch to a 4-4-2 which in my opinion that nearly cost us two points! Both Knocky and Dyer didn't look fit, they need a bit of time in the reserves!

Also once again no threat coming from midfield! both James and King aren't having the best of starts! where's Marshall or Danns?

On positives, our defending was top notch again Moore and Morgan are forming an excellent partnership at the back and erm.... we won! any other positives we can think of?

It was a dreadful game, two teams who played poorly and an own goal to win it. I'll take the points but real positives were few and far between.

The style is quite slow and ponderous, too much direct play, and the formation is not yet set in stone. Pearson, to his credit, is trying out different ways and set-ups to see how best suited we are. But the style is a world away from the football we produced at the start of last season, admittedly yielding fewer points at the equivalent stage. I'm hoping we are just in a recovery period from the appalling end to last season and will improve our confidence and style in time, whilst having a stronger points tally to back it up.

Main Negatives from last season....

- Pearson has no plan B

- We are getting bullied away from home, we are too open and have no steal 

- We are conceding too many soft goals

So far this season....

- Pearson discovered a Plan B, and c and d all at the same time.

- 2 away games, and i am yet to see us bullied...outplayed at times yes, but bullied? No.

- Yet to concede a goal from an opposing player...the St.Ledger O.G could even have been a foul.  In fact it was nice to here the derby boss complain about us having 'eleven men behind the ball'.

Moore was outstanding today, can see himself and Morgan creating a heck of a partnership if they keep playing together. Thought the 4-3-3 worked well and as a defensive unit we were very good, even with Schlupp at left back. Midfield 3 worked well together, albeit with none of them standing out. Agree with people saying none of our strikers threatening, bar a very weak Vardy effort none of the get a real shot on goal. 

Just out of interest, does anyone know why Nugent looked at the away end for about 3 minutes after the game? Probably nothing at all, but just wondering. 

Went to my first ever away game today, I enjoyed the atmosphere but the performance wasn't the best although I'd take any sort of win over the sheep shaggers :P. Build up play was very frustrating, we had about 4 opportunities to shoot for goal in the 2nd half but squandered them, kept the ball for far too long and then gave the ball away cheaply. Then Derby had chances to equalise but fortunately their shots went straight to Kasper. Couldn't really hear the Derby fans making much noise as it was so loud in the away stand.  lol 

7 points out of a possible 9 isn't too shabby at all, let's beat Brum next.

Moore was outstanding today, can see himself and Morgan creating a heck of a partnership if they keep playing together. Thought the 4-3-3 worked well and as a defensive unit we were very good, even with Schlupp at left back. Midfield 3 worked well together, albeit with none of them standing out. Agree with people saying none of our strikers threatening, bar a very weak Vardy effort none of the get a real shot on goal.

Just out of interest, does anyone know why Nugent looked at the away end for about 3 minutes after the game? Probably nothing at all, but just wondering.

His missus was in the away end.

The opposition have yet to score against us in a league game. Get in.

Setting a new club record under Pearson. Get in again.

Now all we need is our strikers to be more consistent in scoring goals themselves and we're set for the season.

Evening all.

Well that was better, better than last week anyway. As usual we played well for about 45 minutes, this time the 45 minutes came either side of half time.

Started slowly but were decent in the second part of the first half and had our best spell in the first half of the second, if you follow.

We were under a lot of pressure towards the end and our subs did not seem to help, after the introduction of Knockeart and Dyer we seemed looser and lost what control we had, particularly in midfield.

For once our back 3 were good, well better than usual anyway, much more control in our box but Derby were not exactly sharp. More purposeful and combative when we were under pressure, a big difference to the second half of last season.

Generally we were not that good, but we were good enough to get the points and for the moment that will do nicely.

Evening all.

Well that was better, better than last week anyway. As usual we played well for about 45 minutes, this time the 45 minutes came either side of half time.

Started slowly but were decent in the second part of the first half and had our best spell in the first half of the second, if you follow.

We were under a lot of pressure towards the end and our subs did not seem to help, after the introduction of Knockeart and Dyer we seemed looser and lost what control we had, particularly in midfield.

For once our back 3 were good, well better than usual anyway, much more control in our box but Derby were not exactly sharp. More purposeful and combative when we were under pressure, a big difference to the second half of last season.

Generally we were not that good, but we were good enough to get the points and for the moment that will do nicely.

Err we played with a back 4 in a 433 (switching to 442 late one)

Err we played with a back 4 in a 433 (switching to 442 late one)

Err the back 3 as in Schmeichel, Morgan and Moore. The back 3 that was in a flat out panic for much of the second half of last season when ever the ball came into our box, they couldn't keep a clean sheet to save their lives.

Obviously no Keane this time and Moore was excellent today, but I regard Schmeichel and Morgan as the senior pros and they failed badly last season and need to improve, maybe they have.

Archived