Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LDS

Famous City Fans

Katie Boulter is hoping to produce some Leicester City type magic when she takes on 18th seed Naomi Osaka in the second round of Wimbledon on Thursday.

The 21-year-old Foxes fan won her first grand slam match against Veronica Cepede Royg on Tuesday to continue the rapid improvement that has carried her to the verge of the top 100.

Twenty-year-old Osaka will be a big step up but Boulter is feeling very confident about her tennis and will try to draw on Leicester's remarkable Premier League title glory in 2016 to cause an upset.

She said: "When Leicester won the Premier League I feel like everyone had a massive lift in the city, and I feel like I was one of those people. It was a little bit of magic and hopefully I can do something out there tomorrow. I have had some lovely messages from a lot of people from Leicester. I'm always proud to support the Foxes."

If Boulter is to even threaten a shock she must change the pattern from her previous clash with Osaka, the most exciting young talent in the women's game, in Birmingham last month, when she managed just three games.

Boulter was pleased to have had that experience, saying: "It was really good, and it set me up nicely for playing in Southsea (where she reached the final). I think it's going to be a challenge and I'm looking forward to it. I'll try and play my game and bring a lot of energy to the court."

Boulter is one of three British players left in singles after Katie Swan was beaten 6-0 6-3 by 29th seed Mihaela Buzarnescu.

The pair are two of a highly promising crop of young British women, with Boulter leading the way.

Swan said: "She's been doing so well and I think a lot of the British girls have, so it's great to see. And we are all pushing each other and everyone wants to keep getting better. I think we're all going to start seeing each other at these bigger tournaments. That's pretty exciting."

19961657_1250929278362493_721269892942195025_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=4216b3859a0636c42a67359258956544&oe=5BA2E53F

Katie Boulter (28911852098).jpg

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon/wimbledon-2018-katie-boulter-who-is-schedule-order-of-play-when-vs-naomi-osaka-british-britain-a8432221.html

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Right for all you old gits on here and I know there are some of you anyone remember a programme in the late 60's / early 70's called Quizball. Where 2 players from you team and a star supporter from your team answered questions on football. One of our star supporters was Lady Isabel Barnett.

On 07/07/2018 at 22:45, Spudulike said:

BBC News presenter Martine Croxall just gave us a plug on #BBCpapers. She's one of our own.

I believe she was from out in the sticks, Hinckley way.

Used to work with her at Radio Leicester in the early / mid 90s.

Her dad (a lovely man) was one of the scorers for BBC radio's cricket coverage.

(I went up to then-RL sports Editor John Rawling at Grace Road when I was 12 and asked him if he wanted someone to do the scoring. That's how I got started "in the business".)

1 minute ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

(I went up to then-RL sports Editor John Rawling at Grace Road when I was 12 and asked him if he wanted someone to do the scoring. That's how I got started "in the business".)

So much opportunity for innuendo...

• Haha 2