Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Alf Bentley

Pearson on staying in the stand

I loved NP's comment on why he stayed in the stand when his touchline ban no longer applied:

‘I just decided I would give it another go, no other reason. As I don’t like to conform, I thought I’d do it when I didn’t have to" (Source: Daily Mail)

I think some people get him wrong, seeing him as boring, stubborn and possibly not very bright.

Contrary he may be, but that can be a good thing; he's also a sharp bloke with a dry sense of humour that creases me up sometimes.

You keep them guessing, Nigel!

You also get a much better view of everyone's positioning from the stand. I appreciate rugby is, tactically, a more complex game but their coaches are usually up in the stand or an executive box these days, masterminding things from above.

They'll radio down to assistants on the touchline. Don't have a problem with that at all.

To be honest i think if i was a football manager i would sit in the stand anyway you get a better view and as long as you have a good Assistant i really don't see them problem. I Know they are different sports completely but you would never see a Rugby Union Coach on the touch line.

I think quite a few managers used to spend the first half (or at least the first 15 minutes or so) in the stand.

Not really the done thing nowadays, I guess, but I think I'm right in saying that Jim McLean started the trend while at Dundee United. He said it gave him a clearer idea of how the opposition lined up and if his own team was losing its shape early on. 

With us having the options of playing 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 it might force the opposition to have a couple of different set ups (especially when we're at home)? Pretty sure Wigan, for example, expected us to line up differently to how we actually started. Hence they struggled in the opening half. When they made three quick changes in the second half and brought on Nick Powell they looked more dangerous. Maybe Nige saw this, as we counteracted that by going from 442 to a kind of 433.

Just guessing, of course, but Nige probably got value from sitting in the stands against Wigan - and maybe even saw something that he wouldn't have spotted immediately from ground level. Hence he did it again yesterday. 

I suppose he would get a decent view of the game, I've just never heard of a manager doing this by choice before. Maybe his white trainers were in the wash and he's embarrassed to be seen without them?

Fat Sam Allardyce used to do it, the pr@ck used to wear a headset.

You also get a much better view of everyone's positioning from the stand. I appreciate rugby is, tactically, a more complex game but their coaches are usually up in the stand or an executive box these days, masterminding things from above.

They'll radio down to assistants on the touchline. Don't have a problem with that at all.

Agreed, never understand how managers get a view of the pattern of play down on the touch line.

I sit right at the back, you see much more clearly where the problems are, where space is opening up etc.

Is it just a coincidence that our two best performances have been the two games where Pearson has controlled it from a fans perspective high in the stands? I actually think it may be a positive thing for us to have Shakey on the touchline, and Pearson calling the shots from a birdseye perspective. We seem to have been far more tactically spot on and have adapted quicker during the matches against Blackburn and Wigan. Maybe its something he could do not every game, but on a regular basis.

Archived