Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Ipswich Post Match Thread 2 - 1 WIN

Not at all, I would rather Knockaert was given a roaming role where he can drift around behind the strikers. Think he could be more effective than on the right wing.

I agree with that but who would we drop in the starting line-up?

Not at all, I would rather Knockaert was given a roaming role where he can drift around behind the strikers. Think he could be more effective than on the right wing.

That's not what I said. I said 'given Pearson's current line ups'. We all know that Knocky could play off the front two, but Pearson don't play that way.

I agree with that but who would we drop in the starting line-up?

Tough one because we've got a lot of players in form. We look most comfortable in 4-4-2, so De Laet would miss out when fit. All 3 central midfielders in Drinkwater, King and James have done a lot of good work recently and Dyer, for all his frustrations, is contributing goals and assists. I just believe Knockaert could be more effective in a central role rather than out wide, which would probably mean three CMs and no Dyer, or a diamond type formation with Drinkwater sitting, De Laet and Dyer wide and Knockaert pushed forward, so no King or James.

Having said all that, we should probably leave it as it is lol

A good result, as previous posts have stated we don't have a good record at Portman Road,even if Nuge may! Last season we lost and probably would have done earlier in the season. The pleasing thing is that we are now winning these games.Our away form .before the poor run, was the vulnerability last season.

We had no rhythm first half, ending up hitting it long. Dipswitch could have added to that single goal,a poor goal to concede.The fact they didn't gave us the opportunity 2nd half. For me, James made the difference.Whether King needs a rest or the international break is too disruptive to preparation is unclear but with James introduction we seized the initiative.

Dave has a point,the defence has looked less secure since the changes consequent on RDL's injury. Wes,Was and Liam are all right sided players but it is Liam who appears more adaptable to play left CD.

The irony,given James & Hammond's patince on the bench, is that Hammond appeared tired with 15 to go but there was no obvious replacement.

All in all a well deserved win which I did not see at half time.

Me and my mates were in a very good mood on a train in Frankfurt full of Frankfurt & Schalke fans who'd just played out a draw. They must've been very confused.

Delighted. Bounced back from every single failure to win this season with a victory.

Certainly an interesting debate regarding our defenders now.

For me, our defence is a ticking time-bomb. We need to start keeping more clean sheets, there will be games where we won't score 2 every game (if we did we'd have scored 92 goals by the end of the season and that's not going to happen).

Morgan struggles on the left side of defence. This was also evident when he was paired with Bamba before. It just doesn't work. Moore has been very competent throughout the season however, playing him at right back compromises any kind of attacking threat that De Laet would provide and I firmly believe that on the whole, De Laet is a better right back. However, Moore is a fantastic centre back but taking Wasyl out would be harsh. Miquel putting good performances in too when called upon. Schlupp and Konchesky pushing each other at LB.

Interesting problems and selection headaches for NP to sort there. Healthy thing to have though.

For me, our defence is a ticking time-bomb. We need to start keeping more clean sheets, there will be games where we won't score 2 every game (if we did we'd have scored 92 goals by the end of the season and that's not going to happen).

Morgan struggles on the left side of defence. This was also evident when he was paired with Bamba before. It just doesn't work. Moore has been very competent throughout the season however, playing him at right back compromises any kind of attacking threat that De Laet would provide and I firmly believe that on the whole, De Laet is a better right back. However, Moore is a fantastic centre back but taking Wasyl out would be harsh. Miquel putting good performances in too when called upon. Schlupp and Konchesky pushing each other at LB.

Interesting problems and selection headaches for NP to sort there. Healthy thing to have though.

Good post again buddy. But don't forget, defending is not only done by the defence. We need to defend as a team. If we are losing the ball up top, or losing midfield battles, then the back 5 will be put under pressure and we will concede goals. I've said many times, our defence is pretty much good enough at this level. But if it's not supported by the rest of the team, it will only hold out for so long.

Good post again buddy. But don't forget, defending is not only done by the defence. We need to defend as a team. If we are losing the ball up top, or losing midfield battles, then the back 5 will be put under pressure and we will concede goals. I've said many times, our defence is pretty much good enough at this level. But if it's not supported by the rest of the team, it will only hold out for so long.

Agreed. I do think that Tony and Lloyd do excellent jobs in covering our full backs. Knocky has consistently improved this part of his game and is making him a better player all round. I want us to sign a right winger though. Knockaert won't be able to play every minute of every game this season, I believe Schlupp can do a job on the left when needed to. A winger who can play on both wings would be even better! 

I've looked at the goal that we conceded yesterday and for me Kasper should have saved it. We had enough men behind the ball, it was a long way out and at his near post. 

The big change was when Wood came on, even though we were already 2-1 up when he came on? Ok then.

I bow to your greater knowledge of the game.

Your years playing watching and managing and the fact you praps have football manager.

Just cos we had scored did not make the game safe.

But you missed my main point much as I think kasper is a great keeper his distribution is pants.

In the first half they all came back at us you can't defend a whole game like that.

They were still coming straight back after we scored.

Your right wood did not win them all but what he did do that nuge and vardy did not was try to make the ball.

When he did not make it he was closing down there man making it harder for them.

Just cost the score did not change don't mean he did not have an impact on the game.

I did not here one whistle or here anyonyone panicing for the ref to blow.

down to the fact the ball was sticking up front.

That was not the case in the first 45 or even the start of the second even though we had scored.

Anyway your praps right 2-1 up with 30 mins to go means we can stop playing.

they can't score 2 in 30 mins can they.

Lack of healthy competition is hindering Kasper's progress, need to sign a goalkeeper (either an oldie, or a youngster).

I would say lak of thought pumping it long all the time even when it's not working.

The scary thing is NP is not stopping him or is it from NP to start with.

Either way it's costing us and yesterday putting preasure on our back four when we are not winning it or putting them under preasure.

But I know fvck all.

Yo do realise we have the 6th best defence in the league, not really a ticking time bomb....

I bow to your greater knowledge of the game.

Your years playing watching and managing and the fact you praps have football manager.

Just cos we had scored did not make the game safe.

But you missed my main point much as I think kasper is a great keeper his distribution is pants.

In the first half they all came back at us you can't defend a whole game like that.

They were still coming straight back after we scored.

Your right wood did not win them all but what he did do that nuge and vardy did not was try to make the ball.

When he did not make it he was closing down there man making it harder for them.

Just cost the score did not change don't mean he did not have an impact on the game.

I did not here one whistle or here anyonyone panicing for the ref to blow.

down to the fact the ball was sticking up front.

That was not the case in the first 45 or even the start of the second even though we had scored.

Anyway your praps right 2-1 up with 30 mins to go means we can stop playing.

they can't score 2 in 30 mins can they.

The ball was sticking up front due to Nugent and Dyer. Simple as that. The game changed for us at half time. How you can't see that is beyond belief.

Just because you've been watching football for x amount of years doesn't make your opinion superior to anyone else's.

Who actually said the game was safe?

Yo do realise we have the 6th best defence in the league, not really a ticking time bomb....

Agreed. Some people just love a good worry/wind up round here. 'Ticking time bomb' is possibly the most ridiculous thing I've read on here in quite some time..... apart from his posts in the Ipswich match thread

Just read through the match thread. Some total and utter c**** on here. Get behind the lads hey. Listen to Nuge's post match interview, saying fans have been getting on his back, not the biggest surprise we seem to implode after Christmas, think all the players are fed up of the moaners by then

According to those that went we were awful first half, those who listened felt the same and made their feeling known, it's football, it's meant to raise the emotions.

If you want to be a good footballer then you need to be able to take abuse and praise equally, ignore it and concentrate on your game.

The idea that the fans are to blame for what happened last season is just ridiculous, delusions of grandeur.

The ball was sticking up front due to Nugent and Dyer. Simple as that. The game changed for us at half time. How you can't see that is beyond belief.

Just because you've been watching football for x amount of years doesn't make your

opinion superior to anyone else's.

Who actually said the game was safe?

So point out where I said I have. And never have.

I replyied to a resposne from someone that trid to make me look stupid.

As I said my main point was kaspers poor distribution.

My point was wood won or looked to win more than anyone else had.

And from my point of view was a great improvement.

The person that made the comments about my post made it sound like it was job won.

Bert if you want to jump in pick a fight read everything.

I'm nothing your not fvcking special either we all have our own views.

It was my view on the game did not need the smug fvcking comments it got so but out.

According to those that went we were awful first half, those who listened felt the same and made their feeling known, it's football, it's meant to raise the emotions.

If you want to be a good footballer then you need to be able to take abuse and praise equally, ignore it and concentrate on your game.

The idea that the fans are to blame for what happened last season is just ridiculous, delusions of grandeur.

I went yes the first half was shite but unlike the forum we supported the team.

We sang and never wavered we had belief we could get a result.

We did not call for NFP'S head or say nuge was shite.

I have read some of that thread and like the boro thread some should hang there heads in shame.

If your gonna slag NFP or the players down least wait till we have lost not after 5 mins ffs.

Some really need to grow up.

yes they are professional footballers and should be able to cope but a bit of positivity from the stands at the KP would be nice a bit more often.

The MON year's proved this and the team and the fans never gave up - many late points were earned during that time.

So point out where I said I have. And never have.

I replyied to a resposne from someone that trid to make me look stupid.

As I said my main point was kaspers poor distribution.

My point was wood won or looked to win more than anyone else had.

And from my point of view was a great improvement.

The person that made the comments about my post made it sound like it was job won.

Bert if you want to jump in pick a fight read everything.

I'm nothing your not fvcking special either we all have our own views.

It was my view on the game did not need the smug fvcking comments it got so but out.

Well she actually pulled the part from your post where you said "The big change in the game for me was woods coming on."

When in fact it was pretty clear to everyone else that the big change was Matt James coming on. Read around, papers, player ratings, journo's views and you'll see most coming to that conclusion. She certainly didn't make out like it was won, just that the big change around in the game had already been made, which again refers back to your point that you made about it being when Wood came on.

You don't need to worry about anyone else making you look stupid, you're doing a pretty good job of that yourself with brilliantly constructed posts.

I spent time listening to a couple of scouts on Saturday who were taking information back to their club for when their team plays Ipswich soon.

Very in depth discussions on each team, analysing players, formations and every type of set play.

Interesting to note they were pointing out that Ipswich play everything wide, or long and never play through. They pointed out certain individuals in their team who were decent.

For us though, well organised, played it out well and constantly dangerous. At one point they really praised how slick we were.

Although games can go either way, and you have good or bad halves etc, I think it was clear from their perspective that Ipswich were playing a certain way to get a result, whereas we are actually a very good set up with structure.

From where I was sitting too, Ipswich very much needed telling what to do from the bench everytime they broke out, whereas our bench is much calmer as we already have something strong in place .

Fine margins win games in this league, fine margins will determine who gets promotion.

I just think though that we have a very good set up now, a good group and this was echoed by these two scouts on Saturday who were taking note of everything in fine detail.

I feel that we are pretty well organised overall, have more strong players (on better money) than anyone in the league bar QPR and our position in the league reflects this.

I do not think we are playing particularly well, plenty of poor periods (halves) to point to and in addition we have a weakness in the heart of our defence, a tendency to allow ourselves to get hustled in midfield and an inability to cut sides open in attack, particularly noticeable when the opposition are defending in numbers.

However we are doing very well, mainly I think, by simply pressuring the opposition for long periods and forcing errors or just getting chances to fall for us. It is working well so far but as has been pointed out, we have some really tough games next month, a really interesting period. If we are still in the top 3 by Christmas then automatic promotion is a real possibility.

Archived