Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LeicesterBran

What Game Are You Playing At The Moment ?

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Looking forward to giving A Plague Tale: Requiem a go later on.  The first one released to little fanfare was excellent and I expect the sequel will be more of the same with some improvements here and there.  Without a doubt though the story telling should be top notch.

Had the sequel on my "to play" list for ages but not got around to it. Loved the first. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

The fact that this and Horizon Forbidden West did not win anything at all at the gaming awards in their respective years is a disgrace.  

"Disgrace" is a bit ridiculous when it was up against Elden Ring and God of War tbf. 

Which category do you think it should have won? 

Especially given it had a bit of "Tears of the Kingdom" syndrome in that it was largely "more of the same."

I really like the Horizon games don't get me wrong but the first went up against BOTW and the second went up against Elden Ring. I mean. 

You might have a personal preference for Horizon and that's fine, I can relate, I personally don't even like Soulslikes or GOW, but you really going to sit there and say either Horizon should objectively have won? 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

"Disgrace" is a bit ridiculous when it was up against Elden Ring and God of War tbf. 

Especially given it had a bit of "Tears of the Kingdom" syndrome in that it was largely "more of the same."

I really like the Horizon games don't get me wrong but the first went up against BOTW and the second went up against Elden Ring. I mean. 

You might have a personal preference for Horizon and that's fine, I can relate, I personally don't even like Soulslikes or GOW, but you really going to sit there and say either Horizon should objectively have won? 

My own personal preference is for Horizon to be at least on a par with Elden Ring, GOW/Ragnarok etc, but I can at least understand the powers that be thinking the latter were at least marginally better.

Zero Dawn losing to BOTW though? Fvcking scandal. But then I think that's because most Zelda games (and a lot of Mario/other leading Nintendo games in general come to that) tend to be pretty generic fantasy romps for "all the family" and the Japanese market and so lacking something compared to games like Horizon and GOW anyway and I'm not sure why some folks rate them as truly great games as opposed to merely very good, despite their depth. Perhaps it's Nintendo simply opting not to go in for any kind of graphical realism and rather keeping it "cartoony" that puts me off (though that didn't stop Final Fantasy IX from being a very mature adventure).

NB. As someone who regularly disparages those who disparage anime as "just for kids" (because that's simply fvcking wrong), I know the above is hypocrisy of the highest order btw.

Edited by leicsmac

24 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

My own personal preference is for Horizon to be at least on a par with Elden Ring, GOW/Ragnarok etc, but I can at least understand the powers that be thinking the latter were at least marginally better.

Zero Dawn losing to BOTW though? Fvcking scandal. But then I think that's because most Zelda games (and a lot of Mario/other leading Nintendo games in general come to that) tend to be pretty generic fantasy romps for "all the family" and the Japanese market and so lacking something compared to games like Horizon and GOW anyway and I'm not sure why some folks rate them as truly great games as opposed to merely very good, despite their depth. Perhaps it's Nintendo simply opting not to go in for any kind of graphical realism and rather keeping it "cartoony" that puts me off (though that didn't stop Final Fantasy IX from being a very mature adventure).

NB. As someone who regularly disparages those who disparage anime as "just for kids" (because that's simply fvcking wrong), I know the above is hypocrisy of the highest order btw.

I have no issue with anyone having a preference. Like I said, I don't really like either GOW or Elden Ring. They wouldn't be in my top five games of any year. 

But I appreciate they're widely regarded as fantastic games by a massive amount of both players and critics and I can understand why they won more awards than Horizon, which I really liked. 

It's a bit like I personally think The Leftovers and The Newsroom are two of the best shows ever made by HBO and that I personally prefer both to The Sopranos. But if there were to be an award show for the greatest HBO drama of all time I wouldn't exactly call it a disgrace if the Sopranos won (although I might say sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.)

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I have no issue with anyone having a preference. Like I said, I don't really like either GOW or Elden Ring. They wouldn't be in my top five games of any year. 

But I appreciate they're widely regarded as fantastic games by a massive amount of both players and critics and I can understand why they won more awards than Horizon, which I really liked. 

It's a bit like I personally think The Leftovers and The Newsroom are two of the best shows ever made by HBO and that I personally prefer both to The Sopranos. But if there were to be an award show for the greatest HBO drama of all time I wouldn't exactly call it a disgrace if the Sopranos won (although I might say sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.)

The Wire stands above them all IMO.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Finnegan said:

It wasn't game of the year or anything but Graphically it's been the most impressive game to date on the PS5 for me

23 hours ago, Finnegan said:

It should have won for best soundtrack at least.  GoW came away with too many awards in 2022 - they should have been more thoughtfully shared out.  It was basically Elden Ring and GoW as you have said.  Graphically it's also the best looking game on PS5 and should have received some recognition for that as well.  Judging by the first half of Plague Tale Requiem, which also released in 2022, that should have won best storyline/narrative also.  I see it was up for GoTY as a nominee.  Comes back to what I said earlier, whoever is choosing these awards needs to choose better rather than making lazy choices giving a load of awards to one or two games.

As for GoW, the first of the new take on it was good (although the ending fell flat for me) but I still prefer the original 3 games.  I still haven't got round to Ragnorok yet either - no rush, unlike GoW 2 and 3 which were instant buys at the time.

2023 FFXVI has won best soundtrack so I'll see how it goes once I get into it.  I can't see it being better than 7 or 10 in that regard though.

2 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

It should have won for best soundtrack at least.  GoW came away with too many awards in 2022 - they should have been more thoughtfully shared out.  It was basically Elden Ring and GoW as you have said.  Graphically it's also the best looking game on PS5 and should have received some recognition for that as well.  Judging by the first half of Plague Tale Requiem, which also released in 2022, that should have won best storyline/narrative also.  I see it was up for GoTY as a nominee.  Comes back to what I said earlier, whoever is choosing these awards needs to choose better rather than making lazy choices giving a load of awards to one or two games.

As for GoW, the first of the new take on it was good (although the ending fell flat for me) but I still prefer the original 3 games.  I still haven't got round to Ragnorok yet either - no rush, unlike GoW 2 and 3 which were instant buys at the time.

2023 FFXVI has won best soundtrack so I'll see how it goes once I get into it.  I can't see it being better than 7 or 10 in that regard though.

So you're upset that a bunch of games you haven't played won awards over a PS exclusive that was pretty. 

Okay. 

Sometimes I forget it's actually pointless talking to you about games. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Had a few moments over Christmas where I thought I'd play a few games on offer on Game Pass and had a go at Yakuza: Like a Dragon as I'd heard a few people say they love the series. I couldn't get my head around why though it felt like I spent a couple of hours on the game and 95% of that was just watching cut scenes and dialogue, and the bits where I did play it and fought bad guys it was always the same 2 3 button/moves and that was it. Am I missing something or is that just the premise of the game or does it get better?

Finally finished Alan wake 2 and I was hugely impressed. It won’t be everyone’s cup of tea but it’s a game with an actual identity, something which I feel is hugely lacking in the AAA space in recent years. Yea it loves itself and it loves the smell of its own farts but I found it genuinely unique in its storytelling and its gameplay was very enjoyable by and large. Only 2 games i completed thus far from last year was that one and Jedi survivor and I enjoyed them both but Alan wake 2 left a much bigger impression, I can’t wait to see what remedy do next they are fast becoming my favourite developer they seem to be the only developer in gaming that does what they want and have a proper budget behind them. I will take some recommendations on what to play next? Anything indie that’s unique or a AAA game from recent years that tries to actually do something rather than tick all the generic boxes I might have missed? I might try the resi 4 remake I enjoyed that first time round. 

11 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Finally finished Alan wake 2 and I was hugely impressed. It won’t be everyone’s cup of tea but it’s a game with an actual identity, something which I feel is hugely lacking in the AAA space in recent years. Yea it loves itself and it loves the smell of its own farts but I found it genuinely unique in its storytelling and its gameplay was very enjoyable by and large. Only 2 games i completed thus far from last year was that one and Jedi survivor and I enjoyed them both but Alan wake 2 left a much bigger impression, I can’t wait to see what remedy do next they are fast becoming my favourite developer they seem to be the only developer in gaming that does what they want and have a proper budget behind them. I will take some recommendations on what to play next? Anything indie that’s unique or a AAA game from recent years that tries to actually do something rather than tick all the generic boxes I might have missed? I might try the resi 4 remake I enjoyed that first time round. 

How about an absolute classic like Mass Effect trilogy? I've been seeing random videos on tik tok of ME and it's made me want to play through it again. That game is peak storytelling

Or a game I played last year called Monster Boy? That was enjoyable 

• Thanks 1

On 05/01/2024 at 19:59, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

If you fancy an indie title that does something different with it's storytelling, signalis is well worth a go, especially if you like Resident Evil.

Edited by orangecity23

Just started Lies of P on Game Pass. 

Never really properly played a soulslike game before, and as someone who usually plays games on their hardest difficulty, it's absolutely brutal. Like the difficulty spikes are controller-bustingly bad at times. 

19 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

Anything on game pass that is worth a go?

What sort of thing are you into? There's an absolute wealth of great titles on GP now IMO. 

5 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Just started Lies of P on Game Pass. 

Never really properly played a soulslike game before, and as someone who usually plays games on their hardest difficulty, it's absolutely brutal. Like the difficulty spikes are controller-bustingly bad at times. 

What sort of thing are you into? There's an absolute wealth of great titles on GP now IMO. 

There's only three/four types of games I've played. FIFA, COD, GTA, and the odd racing game in there but I'm open to broadening my horizons as those can be far from relaxing genres. 

1 hour ago, Ian Nacho said:

There's only three/four types of games I've played. FIFA, COD, GTA, and the odd racing game in there but I'm open to broadening my horizons as those can be far from relaxing genres. 

If you like FPS games, I’d give Doom (2016) and Doom Eternal a go. Worth a crack at least. I loved them.