Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Langley

Leicester City B?

Following the news of the FA's announcement to have a Premier League B and presumably our involvement in it what would you like it to be called? A Spanish model like Leicester City B or something like Leicester Fosse?

<i>"The creation of a new tier within the Football League to accommodate Premier League B teams is at the heart of the Football Association commission's four-point plan to boost English football.

The review also calls for a ban on non-EU players outside of the top flight and a reduction in non-home-grown players in Premier League squads.

It also wants to develop "strategic loan partnerships" between clubs.

The suggestions come as a response to a lack of available English talent.

In the 2012-13 Premier League season, only 32% of starters qualified to play for England, compared to 69% 20 years ago. The figure was 28% among the top four clubs that season.

The exhaustive review by the commission, headed up by FA chairman Greg Dyke, aims to restore the amount of English players within the Premier League to 45% by 2022.

"I welcome the proposals," said national team manager Roy Hodgson. "Having worked at all levels of football, and across different countries and cultures, I have some reference points about what needs to be done in England.

"But I am just one voice of many who have contributed to this important study and I hope the debate that has been provoked can lead to some real developments in our game."

I personally think that it's the way to go. Doesn't seem to be doing Spain or Germany any harm internationally.

Yeah, only the fans hate it so it's all good.

I think it's a silly idea BUT if I could go to a Leicester game one week and a Leicester B Team game at the KP the next I'd be very, very happy.

Guest MattP

If you felt guilty or sad watching Doncaster go down last week imagine what's it's going to feel like when 'Leicester City B' actually have to relegate a team like Torquay or Cheltenham from League 3 out of the football league.

What a perverse idea.

If you felt guilty or sad watching Doncaster go down last week imagine what's it's going to feel like when 'Leicester City B' actually have to relegate a team like Torquay or Cheltenham from League 3 out of the football league.

What a perverse idea.

Yeah but imagine when it's Coventry.

I personally think that it's the way to go. Doesn't seem to be doing Spain or Germany any harm internationally.

Yeah, only the fans hate it so it's all good.

Yeah I remember all the Spanish fans looking distraught when winning the Euro's and the World Cup.

The Premier League maybe the most entertaining league to watch but the amount of English players who feature in it is embarrassing.

If we want success on the international level something has to change.

It's the best opportunity for young home grown players to show good they really are rather than doing a Logan all their career.

The Germans and Spain  (in particular) can only do it because of the lack of league teams in the area. The local government only supports the best teams hence why apart from in the biggest cities (Barcelona, Madrid, Valencia) there's only 1 big team in a region. The B teams are there to fill up the leagues as much as to benefit their parent sides. The only two teams that realistically benefit from the B system are Barca and Real. So tell me, do you really expect this will benefit the whole country? I really doubt it. 

I still think the reason there are so few English players in the top flight is because there not good enough to play. The ones that are good enough do play allready it's just such a global leauge that they can have the pick of the worlds best and English players and just not there yet. this b team thing will do nothing more than make the big clubs more money as they will now have 2 teams in the leauge structure.

Why are you assuming we even want a B team? You seem to have missed out the crucial first question in your post.

We already have a B team it's currently called the development squad/under 21's

Surely it's better for us as a club to have the likes of Smith, Cain and Bythe playing week in and week out rather than this under 21's premier league?

They were also talking about forming partnerships between clubs to loan players out to which I think WOULD be dangerous if the likes of Bury or Oldham would have first dibs on youth players from Man United or Man City. That would distort the league more than anything IMO.

Archived